Author Topic: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts  (Read 375376 times)

lRaphl

Re: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts
« Reply #390 on: May 15, 2020, 10:27:20 AM »
I found this one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/143042612579

Is is the right one?

Yes, this shock will work according to what everyone has posted here. Trunnion, 165mm eye to eye and a maximum of 42.5mm stroke.

Maze44

« Reply #391 on: May 15, 2020, 11:31:00 AM »
I found this one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/143042612579

Is is the right one?

Yes, this shock will work according to what everyone has posted here. Trunnion, 165mm eye to eye and a maximum of 42.5mm stroke.

Thank you!

Can you tell me what size I need for the damper bushing?

lRaphl

« Reply #392 on: May 15, 2020, 11:58:29 AM »

Some people are tight with 22.2mm. Others have a little bit of play with the same width. The best thing to do is wait for the frame a measure by yourself with a good caliper.

theirishrider

« Reply #393 on: May 16, 2020, 11:21:02 AM »
Struggling to find a good value 120mm 44mm offset boost fork. My analysis so far if anyone looking in the future:

The SID 120mm 44mm offset: https://www.bike24.com/p2373675.html?q=rockshox%20sid 700+euros
Marzocchi Bomber Z2 - 29" Fork - 120mm - Tapered - 44mm Offset https://www.bike24.com/p2334352.html 599euros
RockShox 35 Gold RL Debon Air 29" https://www.bike24.com/p2374654.html?q=44mm%20offset  400+ (depending on site)

Rebas at 29" only have 51mm offset, does a 29 wheel fit in the 27.5 model with the 44mm offset? - doubt it. https://www.bike24.com/p2330654.html  381 euros (can go cheaper on ebay)

Seems odd to pay more for a Rockshox 35 gold than for a Reba which is the product line above.  If anyone has any guidance or other model suggestions I'd much appreciate it.

Zdrenka89

« Reply #394 on: May 16, 2020, 12:35:07 PM »
I've been around the block too for trying to find the right option.

The SID also comes in a 'Select' Variant for 200 euros less if it has interest. It has the same chassis and spring but heavier and less sophisticated damper.

Regarding the Rockshox 35 Gold RL - it seems to be a very mixed bag out there. I've seen reports of sticky stanchions and very unsmooth operation on some review units. Most seems to work ok, but it sounds like a gamble.

a forth option is the DVO Sapphire 34. It comes standart in 140mm but should be very easy to shorten to 120mm from what i can read. Still not cheap though...

Personally i will probably fork out (pun intended) the extra money for the SID Ultimate as its a component where i just dont want to end up dissapointed.

Maze44

« Reply #395 on: May 17, 2020, 02:46:07 AM »
Here some file for the right dumper. I got the file from carbonda:

Pharaohollie

« Reply #396 on: May 17, 2020, 03:29:39 AM »
Struggling to find a good value 120mm 44mm offset boost fork. My analysis so far if anyone looking in the future:

The SID 120mm 44mm offset: https://www.bike24.com/p2373675.html?q=rockshox%20sid 700+euros
Marzocchi Bomber Z2 - 29" Fork - 120mm - Tapered - 44mm Offset https://www.bike24.com/p2334352.html 599euros
RockShox 35 Gold RL Debon Air 29" https://www.bike24.com/p2374654.html?q=44mm%20offset  400+ (depending on site)

Rebas at 29" only have 51mm offset, does a 29 wheel fit in the 27.5 model with the 44mm offset? - doubt it. https://www.bike24.com/p2330654.html  381 euros (can go cheaper on ebay)

Seems odd to pay more for a Rockshox 35 gold than for a Reba which is the product line above.  If anyone has any guidance or other model suggestions I'd much appreciate it.

Don't get too hung up on offset. I am running a 51mm offset fork and it's fine on my (narrow/technical) trails. I am looking at a RockShox SID Select 120 , but the Suntour Aion 35 (lowered to 120mm, A2C=531) works so well (it's just much heavier than a SID 120) that I am considering putting off the fork purchase until I have some more riding time on that frame.

Bike24 has a discounted DVO Sapphire 29 140mm boost in 51mm offset. You can lower it to 120mm and it would be fantastic with this frame. Highly tunable damper, stiff and a good value for this class of fork. I'd go that route if I wasn't looking for a remote lockout fork.

theirishrider

« Reply #397 on: May 17, 2020, 06:14:09 AM »

Don't get too hung up on offset. I am running a 51mm offset fork and it's fine on my (narrow/technical) trails. I am looking at a RockShox SID Select 120 , but the Suntour Aion 35 (lowered to 120mm, A2C=531) works so well (it's just much heavier than a SID 120) that I am considering putting off the fork purchase until I have some more riding time on that frame.

Bike24 has a discounted DVO Sapphire 29 140mm boost in 51mm offset. You can lower it to 120mm and it would be fantastic with this frame. Highly tunable damper, stiff and a good value for this class of fork. I'd go that route if I wasn't looking for a remote lockout fork.

Thans for the details. seems r2 bike has a 51mm offset SID select going for 400 https://r2-bike.com/ROCK-SHOX-Suspension-Fork-29-SID-Select-SA-DebonAir-120-mm-BOOST-tapered-black a steal if anyone is looking!

mtbluvr68

« Reply #398 on: May 17, 2020, 04:12:24 PM »
Rockshox 35 gold has 35 mm stanchions i believe the Reba has 32 mm stanchions,  if you are worried about sticking fork, how about Marizochi bomber z2?  Its got the same internals as a Fox Rhythm 34 , 34 mm stanchions and is the new choice for alot of manufacturers ,  its on the new Marin Riftzone
2021 Tan Tan Seraph FM027  w/Light Bicycle wheels(XC)
2022 Marin Rift Zone 3 w/ elite wheels (trail)
2021 Tideace FMR185 w/Light Bicycle Wheels (road)
2023  Chasing Wind w/ elite wheels (Gravel)

SlappinBerms

« Reply #399 on: May 18, 2020, 09:21:25 AM »

Some people are tight with 22.2mm. Others have a little bit of play with the same width. The best thing to do is wait for the frame a measure by yourself with a good caliper.

Where do we go to even look for bushings?

Pharaohollie

« Reply #400 on: May 18, 2020, 10:17:42 AM »

Most online retailers or your LBS? It's a fairly common and easy to obtain part.

The hardware I bought is exactly 22.2mm measured with calipers. The distance between the upper mounting points on my FM936's linkage is 22.7mm. That is half a mm difference and there is noticable play with the shock mounted and everything torqued up. Love the frame, but I am not happy about this and have emailed Adam about it. He said he's "talking to QC" and will get back to me.

Medico

« Reply #401 on: May 18, 2020, 10:52:14 AM »

Most online retailers or your LBS? It's a fairly common and easy to obtain part.

The hardware I bought is exactly 22.2mm measured with calipers. The distance between the upper mounting points on my FM936's linkage is 22.7mm. That is half a mm difference and there is noticable play with the shock mounted and everything torqued up. Love the frame, but I am not happy about this and have emailed Adam about it. He said he's "talking to QC" and will get back to me.

Will be sorted, I'm sure...but first you will get spacers or some other solution, but I would advice you to ask for a new linkage! To much play will sort in more play and eventually failure.

Read my earlier post about lower bearing/pivot issue...They just sent me a new rear.

Pharaohollie

« Reply #402 on: May 18, 2020, 11:02:13 AM »

Will be sorted, I'm sure...but first you will get spacers or some other solution, but I would advice you to ask for a new linkage! To much play will sort in more play and eventually failure.

Read my earlier post about lower bearing/pivot issue...They just sent me a new rear.

Yes, I have already asked for a new linkage. In the meantime I machined down a wider 8mm bore mount I had in my parts bin to the right span width, and it works fine. Glad to know they sorted out your rear triangle's problem!

Pharaohollie

« Reply #403 on: May 18, 2020, 01:18:59 PM »
So, I have a few rides on the bike and I think it's time to share some thoughts:

Frame build quality:

I ordered a medium superlight version in medium, UD matte.

- Weight for the medium "superlight" version was over what I expected. Not by much, but just slightly over their "+/- 50g" claim.

- Frame construction is very good. The inside is a little rough in places, but nothing I haven't seen on many brand name frames I own/have owned.

- Linkage came with the upper shock mounting spacing 0.5mm wider than spec (see my previous posts). Hairline crack in the paint on the linkage's left side after the first ride. I highly doubt it's anything but paint, but I am going to sand down the paint to verify.

- BB pressed in very smoothly without issues (Wheels MFG). I was actually worried the ease of which it pressed in might cause creaks, but so far so good. Crank axle went in nice and easy which means well-aligned BB shell holes. Time will tell...too early to judge any longevity issues.

- Internal cable routing was fairly straightforward. The holes in the port covers appear be just slightly undersized for hydraulic lines, but they closed nice and flush with some persuasion.

- Frame hardware came dry from the factory and not torqued to spec.  I disassembled, lubed everything up and torqued everything to spec. The bearings used aren't fantastic quality, but they're fine for now (weren't notch or loose in the bores, etc).

Current build spec:

- 2018 Fox Float DPS 165x42.5, LV EVOL (more on that later)
- SR Suntour Aion 35 (lowered to 120mm, 331 A2C).
- XT M8000 Drivetrain with a ZTTO SLR2 11-46 cassette., KMC chain, SRAM XO shifter (yes, works great with an XT 11-speed rear derailleur) and XT M8000 pedals.
- Crank Brothers Cobalt 3 wheels. Goodyear Escape rear, WTB TrailBoss 2.25 Front.
- Crank Brothers Highline 150mm dropper*, WTB SL8 Team wide saddle.
- ZTTO 35x50mm stem with Race Face Next R 35mmx800mm handlebar (which I plan on trimming down to 780mm).

12.7kg inc pedals with the current build spec. With a lighter fork (SID 120) I can bring it down to around 12.1kg. Carbon wheels will easily make it sub 11kg without even trying to go lighter with XTR parts, etc.

Ride:

- The suspension is very efficient but also rather active. It rides somewhat similar to my Cannondale Scalpel Si 3 (a flex stay design as well) but feels much plusher on the descents (no surprise as it is a 120mm rear vs the 100mm Scalpel...and large volume shock air can on the Carbonda)

- This is a relatively high leverage frame (2.8:1) and with the Fox Float EVOL LV shock on it, I found that I needed about 240psi in the shock to get 25% sag (I am 75-76kg geared up). NS specs the LV shocks on the Synonym TR, but we don't know the shock tune. I am not unhappy with the shock but I have a preference towards shocks sitting higher up in the travel. It's fairly active (not in a bad way) and I miss the lockouts I have on my Scalpel for sprinting. I am going to put an air volume spacer and see how it feels with this.

- Climbing: Despite its radical geometry, the frame does indeed have an XC pedigree. My position on the bike on steep climbs feels very centered, and I ascribe that to the steep ST angle. If anything, with the extra travel and much slacker head angle, it climbs as well as my Scalpel on pretty much everything other than smooth double track where the lockouts play a big role in out-of-the saddle hammering. One thing where it falls short is technical climbs with rocky step-ups or ledges: the bottom bracket is super low and you need to work on your crank ratchet game if you don't want to keep bashing pedals (read more on the BB height below).

- Descending: It's much plusher than I expected. Really tracks the ground and feels like a bigger bike. The low stack and very slack (for its class) head angle make for a really fun (and controllable at speed) ride. A regular 32mm tubed fork is totally fine for most purposes, but a 34mm or 35mm stanchioned fork really stiffens things up on the front end and enables you to get the most out of that geometry if you live somewhere with rough descents. (that's why I think a SID 120 35mm is the perfect fork for this frame: stiff enough, very light and can come with a lockout).

- At 326mm with a 120mm fork, the bottom bracket height is among the lowest I have ever ridden on a full-suspension bike. It's really LOW. It's a good bit lower than bikes in the same class: YT Izzo is 334, Nukeproof Reactor 290 C is 336mm, Mondraker Dune DC RR is 337mm, Yeti SB130 is 337. Granted: most of these bikes spec a 130mm fork with a taller A2C length, but even a Yeti SB100 has a 336mm high BB. I am running 170mm cranks and still bashing pedals more than any of my other bikes (on familiar trails). The bike is really planted in corners, but the very low BB height is something to keep in mind if you ride rocky/rooty/technical trails. The other bikes I ride don't have particularly tall BB heights, but with this one there will certainly be some getting used to period.

Other issues:

- S3/E-Type for a light top-only chain guide mounts would have been a nice option! I haven't lost the chain yet going down some fairly rough descents, though.

- Chainline is great with my non-boost XT M8000 crank, but my beloved 34T oval doesn't clear the chainstay. I am going to find a boost crank to run an oval chainring as I do on all my bikes, but will chainlink be worse? I don't know yet.

*Yes, I know the dropper cable is too long and rear brake line is too short: waiting on some other parts to trim everything to length and tidy up the cabling with heat-shrink tubing :)

Edited for spelling.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 06:37:28 AM by Pharaohollie »

Maze44

« Reply #404 on: May 19, 2020, 04:26:43 AM »

- Linkage came with the upper shock mounting spacing 0.5mm wider than spec (see my previous posts). Hairline crack in the paint on the linkage's left side after the first ride. I highly doubt it's anything but paint, but I am going to sand down the paint to verify.

Can you Post some foto of the crack? Thanks