Author Topic: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts  (Read 375504 times)

adroitrider

Re: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts
« Reply #435 on: June 18, 2020, 10:03:21 AM »
I'm 190cm and have gone with a L. I was also split between L and XL. I actually initially ordered an XL but changed the order just in time before paint.

I drew some sketches in CAD to compare reach with my existing bikes and combined with other input online i found that XL is probably too long for what i want.

I could see myself ride an XL if:
- my trails were steeper (front wheel further out)
- my trails were less snaky (long wheelbase will be slightly harder to manouvre)
- i didnt want a more aggressive riding position.

That said this bike is still long(low & slack) compared to other brands XL sizes even so its great.

Thanks for your input. Have you built up the bike and ridden it? What length stem are you running?

The XL with BSA is two month wait...

mtbluvr68

« Reply #436 on: June 18, 2020, 11:03:35 PM »

- SR Suntour Aion 35 (lowered to 120mm, 331 A2C).

I'd be interested in a review of this fork?  Does it measure up to the big boys of suspension? 
2021 Tan Tan Seraph FM027  w/Light Bicycle wheels(XC)
2022 Marin Rift Zone 3 w/ elite wheels (trail)
2021 Tideace FMR185 w/Light Bicycle Wheels (road)
2023  Chasing Wind w/ elite wheels (Gravel)

Pharaohollie

« Reply #437 on: June 19, 2020, 11:24:51 AM »

- SR Suntour Aion 35 (lowered to 120mm, 331 A2C).

I'd be interested in a review of this fork?  Does it measure up to the big boys of suspension?

I am actually rather impressed with it considering how cheap it was. I bought it as a stopgap until I decide if I want a DVO Sapphire or a SID 35. I have 400km on it right now and it's actually not bad at all (to the point that I really can't justify the price of a SID 35 except for shedding a lot of weight, which for this bike is not a priority as I have it set up for fun...I have another pure XC racer). A few niggles, but can't complain for what I paid.

The good:

- Cheap!
- Looks pretty good.
- Smooth through its travel and very stiff riding on rough trails.
- Travel conversion was super easy and I used an old RockShox spacer I had in my spares.
- Came with a cool integrated fender!

The bad:

- It's a porker. If I recall correctly when I weighed it, it's just under 2300g. With a SID 35 I'd easily shed 600g+ off my build.
- The damper is a basic, sealed unit (rebound and lockout) but it's upgradable to their fancier RC2 damper.
- There is a loud knock on bottom-outs/square-edged hits. Loud to the point of making me think I hit the rim. I'll have another look at the spring assembly to see what causes that.
- There was an occassional rattle. Went when I took apart, lubed the spring assembly and torqued everything to spec.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 11:27:10 AM by Pharaohollie »

adroitrider

« Reply #438 on: June 20, 2020, 01:39:41 PM »
Ordered the XL SL BB92.

I’ll post pics of the frame weight and the actual stack and reach measurements.

dhengen

« Reply #439 on: June 20, 2020, 08:18:32 PM »
Ordered the XL SL BB92.

I'll be watching for your thoughts. I'm going to be ordering mine come September. You mentioned BSA BB was a 2 month wait?

Zdrenka89

« Reply #440 on: June 21, 2020, 10:45:09 AM »

Thanks for your input. Have you built up the bike and ridden it? What length stem are you running?

The XL with BSA is two month wait...

I am missing some carbon rims that are taking a fair bit of time to get here so its still unfinished. I'll report when i have an idea whether my theory holds up.

Im going to run a 40mm stem.

adroitrider

« Reply #441 on: June 22, 2020, 09:49:30 AM »
Ordered the XL SL BB92.

I'll be watching for your thoughts. I'm going to be ordering mine come September. You mentioned BSA BB was a 2 month wait?

Yeah, the Super Light is in stock in L and XL, but BSA Super Light was not available in L or XL, XL BSA was a two month wait. I am not sure if BSA Super Light is even an option.

Wing recommended the XL after I sent him a picture of my current bike, Flyxii FR208 in 19". On a 400mm seatpost i am very close to minimum insertion.

Payment has been made, no shipping confirmed.

carbonazza

« Reply #442 on: June 22, 2020, 10:22:40 AM »
We ordered 3 of them together !

I'm all for PF bottom brackets, light and easy to service when you have a press.
But since the only option available was BB92, we all went to BSA. And are waiting a little more than planned.

As I just said on the AM831 post, BB92 is really a poor choice if you plan to put a DUB spindle of 29, or a 30mm one.
The bearings are too thin, and just don't last.
They quickly develop a drag, and you are good for changing them very often.

We took the same paint job, inspired by the Arc8.
And since we are relatively weight conscious, they are just half-painted  :D

Again great communication with Wing who was really helpful and patient with all our requests.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 10:43:34 AM by carbonazza »

adroitrider

« Reply #443 on: June 22, 2020, 10:50:29 AM »

I'm all for PF bottom brackets, light and easy to service when you have a press.
But since the only option available was BB92, we all went to BSA. And are waiting a little more than planned.

As I just said on the AM831 post, BB92 is really a poor choice if you plan to put a DUB spindle of 29, or a 30mm one.

I already have a press and have had good luck with the BB30 on my Flyxii. I am going to run a 24mm/GXP style spindle on this FM936. My XO crank spindle pictured above is too short.

I thought of waiting, but my bike is tired and I am at a new trail system since I built that hard tail.

Your bike's look sweet!!!

Edit - one key step to perform if you are using the vendor supplied bottom bracket bearings is to remove the dust seal and add high performance grease right to the bearings/races. Like a Phil Wood bearing grease. This goes a long long long way to making press fit perform like you want it to.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 12:31:55 PM by adroitrider »

dhengen

« Reply #444 on: June 22, 2020, 10:20:59 PM »

We took the same paint job, inspired by the Arc8.
And since we are relatively weight conscious, they are just half-painted  :D

Again great communication with Wing who was really helpful and patient with all our requests.

Oh man, those colours look great! Can you describe how the paint colour process goes? Do they have a selection that I pick off of or do I just give a pantone code? Thanks

carbonazza

« Reply #445 on: June 23, 2020, 03:48:44 AM »
Oh man, those colours look great! Can you describe how the paint colour process goes? Do they have a selection that I pick off of or do I just give a pantone code? Thanks

Thank you  :D We look forward to see them for real !

I tried to explain to Wing the more precisely I could what we wanted.
Giving them some existing bike pictures for some details, like color junctions/patterns, and some rough drawings.
And from all this, their designer made the pictures you see here.

carbonazza

« Reply #446 on: June 23, 2020, 11:48:23 AM »
Oh...before riding open up all your bearings and add extra grease...mine went dry after 1000km!

By any chance anyone took note of all pivot bearings models present in the frame ?
6 x 6900 ?
I'm wondering if I won't put directly SKF or NTN bearings instead.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 11:52:22 AM by carbonazza »

Denis

« Reply #447 on: June 23, 2020, 03:29:35 PM »
Oh...before riding open up all your bearings and add extra grease...mine went dry after 1000km!

By any chance anyone took note of all pivot bearings models present in the frame ?
6 x 6900 ?
I'm wondering if I won't put directly SKF or NTN bearings instead.
6801 in trunnion mount, 6901 in main pivot and 6900 in link.

carbonazza

« Reply #448 on: June 23, 2020, 05:21:01 PM »

Thank you very much !

adroitrider

« Reply #449 on: June 23, 2020, 09:18:56 PM »

Thank you very much !

I reached out to RWC and asked them to put together an upgrade package for this frame. I'll let you know what they say...