Author Topic: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts  (Read 375452 times)

sguiom

Re: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts
« Reply #570 on: July 24, 2020, 10:16:47 AM »
To give the end of the story : 38 mm imperial style shock mounted thanks to a 12.7x55 mm titanium axle threaded at both ends to M10x1.0, gives, fully compressed, 10 mm of clearance between seat stay brace and seat tube.

Remember the ratio of about 2.5 when considering a shock stroke... 42.5 defenetively means that you believe in never bottoming out the shock (at least on my L size frame).

I will let you know in 2-3 weeks how it rides with such old shock (Fox rp23).

brex

« Reply #571 on: July 24, 2020, 12:21:56 PM »
I've been riding a 42.5 mm stroke shock on my size L frame since March. Plenty of clearance with the shock bottomed out, never had any contact between the seat stay brace and seat tube. Not even any semblance of worry that it might happen, because it won't.
And yes, I have bottomed. I jump the thing, come off drops, ride it like a MTB should be ridden, not just on some lame gravel trails.
I ride cross country trails, flow trails, trails with natural technical rocks, roots, drops, jumps terrain, sanitized bike park trails with manufactured jumps and drops. I'll take the natural terrain trails all day every day over manufactured bike park stuff.
And I'm 225 lbs.

But sure, you guys keep on going on about your hypotheticals. In the real world, the 42.5 mm stroke works beautifully with the frame.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 04:46:50 PM by brex »

Pharaohollie

« Reply #572 on: July 24, 2020, 12:44:03 PM »
I've been riding a 42.5 mm stroke shock on my size L frame since March. Plenty of clearance with the shock bottomed out, never had any contact between the seat stay brace and seat tube. Not even any semblance of worry that it might happen, because it won't.
And yes, I have bottomed. I jump the thing, come off drops, ride it like a MTB should be ridden, not just on some lame gravel trails. Cross country trails, flow trails, trails with natural technical rocks, roots, drops, jumps terrain, sanitized bike park trails with manufactured jumps and drops. I'll take the natural terrain trails all day every day over manufactured bike park stuff.
And I'm 225 lbs.

But sure, you guys keep on going on about your hypotheticals. In the real world, the 42.5 mm stroke works beautifully with the frame.

Same here. While I don't have a ton of mileage on the bike yet I've been riding this bike hard with a 42.5mm shock. Natural, non-groomed terrain. I took a good size drop on my ride this morning and there is not a hint of contact between the seat stay brace and the seat tube.

There are several people in this long thread using 42.5 with zero issues. If someone is actually having seat stay brace and seat tube contact at bottom out with this size shock then that's an anomaly.

Still, official spec from Carbonda DOES list 165x40mm.

Medico

« Reply #573 on: July 24, 2020, 01:16:32 PM »
And yes, I have bottomed. I jump the thing, come off drops, ride it like a MTB should be ridden, not just on some lame gravel trails. Cross country trails, flow trails, trails with natural technical rocks, roots, drops, jumps terrain, sanitized bike park trails with manufactured jumps and drops. I'll take the natural terrain trails all day every day over manufactured bike park stuff.
And I'm 225 lbs.

Just like a said earlier...lot of hypothetical shit...in real world zero issues after riding endoro en even a bike park with big jumps and botteming out!
This bike gives lots of convidence 8)

theirishrider

« Reply #574 on: July 24, 2020, 05:38:13 PM »
Just like a said earlier...lot of hypothetical shit...in real world zero issues after riding endoro en even a bike park with big jumps and botteming out!
This bike gives lots of convidence 8)
Good to hear dude! I was hitting this on a old 27.5+ bike, (skip to 2:15) exactly, and almost worried that I'd made a mistake with this the 120,  rather than 130. Reading this coment and more I feel a bit more comforted. Also, I prefer  pedaling up the hills more than going down!

brex

« Reply #575 on: July 24, 2020, 08:15:03 PM »
Wow, watching that all I could think was why in the world is it covered in road base gravel, that makes any corner super sketchy. Then the guy crashed.
Maybe it's there for erosion control, don't know. But no way I would want to ride that.
I just rode the boulderdash to lava flow trail last weekend on my carbonda with 42.5 mm shock. No issues.

Colt__Seavers

« Reply #576 on: July 25, 2020, 03:46:24 AM »
Wow, watching that all I could think was why in the world is it covered in road base gravel, that makes any corner super sketchy. Then the guy crashed.
Maybe it's there for erosion control, don't know. But no way I would want to ride that.
I just rode the boulderdash to lava flow trail last weekend on my carbonda with 42.5 mm shock. No issues.

Would you be so kind and post some pics of your build?!

brex

« Reply #577 on: July 25, 2020, 01:30:48 PM »
Sure. It looks pretty much like all the others in the thread, but here it is:

Medico

« Reply #578 on: July 25, 2020, 01:46:32 PM »

Very nice build.
Nice fork also

brex

« Reply #579 on: July 25, 2020, 02:38:24 PM »
Yeah, the Sapphire is quite a bit heavier than the Fox 34 SC, but it is such a night and day better fork that the weight penalty doesn't matter to me.

Medico

« Reply #580 on: July 25, 2020, 02:41:08 PM »
Yeah, the Sapphire is quite a bit heavier than the Fox 34 SC, but it is such a night and day better fork that the weight penalty doesn't matter to me.

Totally agree...got the same one ;D

Only downside of dvo is the poor support in Europe, hardly any suplier has got spare/service parts

Colt__Seavers

« Reply #581 on: July 26, 2020, 12:49:33 AM »
Thanks a lot. Wanted to see the paint job. Done by carbonda?
What does the decal say on the downtube?

Pharaohollie

« Reply #582 on: July 26, 2020, 01:37:07 AM »

Nice looking bike! Maybe you already posted the build details in this thread, but can I ask which crank/oval chainring setup you're running? My 34T Absolute Black oval with Shimano M8000 non-boost crank doesn't clear the chainstay.

brex

« Reply #583 on: July 26, 2020, 11:27:56 AM »
The color on my bike was done by me, it's all vinyl. I wanted to try wrapping the bike instead of paint. I don't know that I would do it again, it shows wear more and to replace is a bit difficult. I'll just paint next time.
The decal on the downtube is basically an old nickname of mine, it's fun to get confused looks from people asking about a brand they've never heard of.
Crankset is the Shimano MT-900 with an AB oval 32 tooth ring. Rest of the drivetrain is 8100 XT and Magura MT5 brakes.

Cerps

« Reply #584 on: July 27, 2020, 09:57:05 AM »
The color on my bike was done by me, it's all vinyl. I wanted to try wrapping the bike instead of paint. I don't know that I would do it again, it shows wear more and to replace is a bit difficult. I'll just paint next time.
The decal on the downtube is basically an old nickname of mine, it's fun to get confused looks from people asking about a brand they've never heard of.
Crankset is the Shimano MT-900 with an AB oval 32 tooth ring. Rest of the drivetrain is 8100 XT and Magura MT5 brakes.

Brex- what vinyl did you use? I'm looking to do 3m 2080 on the headtube and toptube. I was going to do a gloss finish. If it wears quick I might do a clear vinyl over the top that I can replace. Feel free to send me a private message with any tips or tricks