Author Topic: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts  (Read 375483 times)

wfl3

Re: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts
« Reply #630 on: July 31, 2020, 05:11:24 PM »
XL SL frame came in at 2,012g. Everything was removed except for the cable liners.

Here are the weights of the attached items.

I will consider a RWC Shock Eye Needle Bearing Kit

Frame, shock, and all frame bits is 2,329g.

That is light for a frame that size - the XL is big.

adroitrider

« Reply #631 on: July 31, 2020, 06:29:12 PM »
XL SL frame came in at 2,012g. Everything was removed except for the cable liners.

Here are the weights of the attached items.

I will consider a RWC Shock Eye Needle Bearing Kit

Frame, shock, and all frame bits is 2,329g.

That is light for a frame that size - the XL is big.

I will attempt measure the frame tonight.

carbonazza

« Reply #632 on: August 01, 2020, 06:48:53 AM »
...I will consider a RWC Shock Eye Needle Bearing Kit...

Do you have a reference for this?
What does it improve?

carbonazza

« Reply #633 on: August 01, 2020, 08:50:15 AM »
...I read that people thread a tiny steel bolt into the nipple...

You can cut 2 spokes at about 5mm after the thread.
It is a fiddle at the beginning, but when you get your hand on it, it is very quick.

Just once, one rim from Peter had still some bit of the air bladder in them preventing the nipples moving freely to two holes, I had to tear it apart with a spoke through the spoke holes... a nightmare... many hours lost!

Except that, not having to tape has only benefits, and I do that each time I build wheels now.

Thanks a lot IRaphI ! I never thought about using the same technique for taped rims.
This will save me time the next time someone brings me a broken spoke wheel.

adroitrider

« Reply #634 on: August 01, 2020, 09:31:42 AM »
...I will consider a RWC Shock Eye Needle Bearing Kit...

Do you have a reference for this?
What does it improve?

The bearings are for the shock eye and replaces the DU Bushing. The hypothesis is that rocker pivots on bearings, just like at other connections to the frame.

https://www.enduroforkseals.com/products/rear-suspension/shock-eyelet-bearing-kits/6mm-8mm-thru-bolts/NEEDLE-BEARING-22.20.html

andymtb10

« Reply #635 on: August 02, 2020, 03:50:52 AM »
Hi,

Im planning to order one of these, with a friend, to the UK, im excited to get it. Its replacing a 2019 intense sniper, thats had no end of issues and im juat going to cut my losses.  Going for large frame, building it with 120mm fox 34 stepcast, hunt wheels, xt drivetrain, and a few other mid spec  parts. Im looling forward to the steeper seat angle as well!

Im debating whether to get it painted atm, for those who have is it good quality paint? Ill put protective film on high wear areas regardless.

Also, i know what size shock i need, but has anypne got any input about the shock tune? Am i right in thinking that because it uses a flex point rather than a pivot, it will affect the rebound?

Cant wait to get it no matter what.

daforce84

« Reply #636 on: August 03, 2020, 01:02:17 AM »
Hi,

Im planning to order one of these, with a friend, to the UK, im excited to get it. Its replacing a 2019 intense sniper, thats had no end of issues and im juat going to cut my losses.  Going for large frame, building it with 120mm fox 34 stepcast, hunt wheels, xt drivetrain, and a few other mid spec  parts. Im looling forward to the steeper seat angle as well!

Im debating whether to get it painted atm, for those who have is it good quality paint? Ill put protective film on high wear areas regardless.

Also, i know what size shock i need, but has anypne got any input about the shock tune? Am i right in thinking that because it uses a flex point rather than a pivot, it will affect the rebound?

Hi, I'm also thinking about ordering one. In my research, I found this blog post about Carbonda's paint quality:

https://eastsidecyclingclub.com/group-gravel-bike-build-ordering-custom-paint/

Colt__Seavers

« Reply #637 on: August 03, 2020, 01:16:37 AM »
Hi,

Hi, I'm also thinking about ordering one. In my research, I found this blog post about Carbonda's paint quality:

https://eastsidecyclingclub.com/group-gravel-bike-build-ordering-custom-paint/

yeah, that guy posted some time ago on the riding gravel forum in the Carbonda thread there
https://www.ridinggravel.com/forum/?p=post%2Fchinese-carbon-gravel-build-carbonda-8254658%3F%26trail%3D3825

also very interesting thread for anybody who is in doubt of Carbonda's build quality

Vipassana

« Reply #638 on: August 03, 2020, 02:27:29 PM »
If I'm being honest, paint design is always the hardest part of the build for me.  Took me a month to decide last time.

Colt__Seavers

« Reply #639 on: August 03, 2020, 02:38:47 PM »
If I'm being honest, paint design is always the hardest part of the build for me.  Took me a month to decide last time.
The same for me BY FAR!
And as I do painting (with spray cabs) and decal design all by myself it's going to be a long process.
But so far I know the colors and have an idea of the scheme.

casual_build

« Reply #640 on: August 04, 2020, 01:43:46 AM »
My frame arrived!

Hope you all like the color, I think its fun!

Here is my clearance with the cheap ebay 165x42.5 2018 fox dps bottomed out. When its already bottomed out and I continue to bounce on it the frame doesn't budge. I agree with NumberZero and Medico, 42.5 seems bomber.

This build is looking better and better. No problems so far. Quality is great
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 01:47:56 AM by casual_build »

Colt__Seavers

« Reply #641 on: August 04, 2020, 01:59:12 AM »
My frame arrived!

Here is my clearance with the cheap ebay 165x42.5 2018 fox dps bottomed out. When its already bottomed out and I continue to bounce on it the frame doesn't budge. I agree with NumberZero and Medico, 42.5 seems bomber.

love it! You have balls!
clearance seem to be very small, but should be fine I guess. Will also run the 42.5 and try not to bottom out. I'm not a true XC rider with all that jumping. Just wanne have a very smooth riding fast bike with which I can ride in the woods and on the streets and on gravel.

carbonazza

« Reply #642 on: August 04, 2020, 05:15:28 AM »
My frame arrived!
That one will get noticed, for sure  :D

I'm not that worried about the 42.5mm anymore. From the other's feedback first.
And even on a jump, the force to flex the pivot/shock/BB fixture should be enormous for the triangle to go farther than your picture.

Pharaohollie

« Reply #643 on: August 04, 2020, 03:55:49 PM »
My frame arrived!

Great color! I didn't go with paint but next time I am going with something LOUD :D

casual_build

« Reply #644 on: August 05, 2020, 11:35:05 PM »
love it! You have balls!

That one will get noticed, for sure  :D

Great color! I didn't go with paint but next time I am going with something LOUD :D

Thank you! I am glad I went with this color. Carbonda is amazing, I will look out for more from them in the future.

Build is pretty finished now!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 11:39:59 PM by casual_build »