Author Topic: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts  (Read 375530 times)

daforce84

Re: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts
« Reply #660 on: August 09, 2020, 11:13:23 AM »
I use a m7100 slx crank with a 12 sp slx casette... Zero issues with the 10 and the 51 sprocket... Would not go for 52 chainline because the biggest sprocket will give issues for sure (paddling back is the least of the problem).

Thank you Colt__Seavers and Medico!

Medico -- Looking at the M7100, it has a 52mm chainline. Just to clarify your post, did you mean, "Would not go for 55 chainline...?"

Sorry...55 is what I mean

Cool. Thank you again!

dhengen

« Reply #661 on: August 11, 2020, 12:52:43 PM »
Hey, someone had posted a link to ebay that no longer works. Ebay is suggesting a shock that I think should work (165x42.5), but says it's for a 27.5 Giant Anthem. No reason this shock shouldn't work, hey?

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Fox-Performance-165-x-42-5-Shock-Giant-Anthem-27-5-Trunnion-Dps-Float-/124273032134?oid=143042612579

Thanks

casual_build

« Reply #662 on: August 11, 2020, 01:55:24 PM »

Looks great.  I'm interested to hear your impressions on the ride.  In particular, how does it climb and how good/bad in the pedal bob under power?

...how good/bad in the pedal bob under power?
This is definitely a worry for us hardtails guys  ;)

Okay after a few rides with the rear sag just below 25% with low rebound. Here are my impressions.

Me: 175lb 5'10
Bike: Trail oriented build, Just under 26lb, Medium SL frame

Feels very planted and fast on flow trails. It handles small rock feilds so well you can stay focused on the next turn. The light weight and 29in wheels carries momentum up hill easily. I almost crash on the low angle ups by taking turns too fast. I have zero pedal bob when sitting. Minor pedal bob happens doing powerful standing up climbs but, it is far from an annoyance.

On more technical trails with big rocks everywhere the bike gets push around a bit. The slack front really helps and doesn't have any pedal bob ever (unlike the stumpjumper new evo I tried). I specifically noticed the amazing slack front on very steep and rocky areas. The set back stance makes me feel very secure and gives me the confidence to navigate techinical areas with speed. While this bike isn't as equipped for downhill as some of the higher travel trail bikes I have tried(Pivot 429 comes to mind), it is super fun and capable.

This is an amazing bike for anyone trying to get a more capable XC bike with solid trail performance. I don't see any downsides to the modern geometry. For me in Colorado, this bike will make an excellent jack of all trades

Medico

« Reply #663 on: August 11, 2020, 01:55:56 PM »
Hey, someone had posted a link to ebay that no longer works. Ebay is suggesting a shock that I think should work (165x42.5), but says it's for a 27.5 Giant Anthem. No reason this shock shouldn't work, hey?

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Fox-Performance-165-x-42-5-Shock-Giant-Anthem-27-5-Trunnion-Dps-Float-/124273032134?oid=143042612579

Thanks

You need to check the tune... For a giant it is specific tuned for the maestro link...don't know what others use. But length en stroke are fine, so it will fit.

zilcho

« Reply #664 on: August 11, 2020, 03:11:36 PM »

Looks great.  I'm interested to hear your impressions on the ride.  In particular, how does it climb and how good/bad in the pedal bob under power?

...how good/bad in the pedal bob under power?
This is definitely a worry for us hardtails guys  ;)

Okay after a few rides with the rear sag just below 25% with low rebound. Here are my impressions.

Feels very planted and fast on flow trails. It handles small rock feilds so well you can stay focused on the next turn. The light weight and 29in wheels carries momentum up hill easily. I almost crash on the low angle ups by taking turns too fast. I have zero pedal bob when sitting. Minor pedal bob happens doing powerful standing up climbs but, it is far from an annoyance.

On more technical trails with big rocks everywhere the bike gets push around a bit. The slack front really helps and doesn't have any pedal bob ever (unlike the stumpjumper new evo I tried). I specifically noticed the amazing slack front on very steep and rocky areas. The set back stance makes me feel very secure and gives me the confidence to navigate techinical areas with speed. While this bike isn't as equipped for downhill as some of the higher travel trail bikes I have tried(Pivot 429 comes to mind), it is super fun and capable.

This is an amazing bike for anyone trying to get a more capable XC bike with solid trail performance. I don't see any downsides to the modern geometry. For me in Colorado, this bike will make an excellent jack of all trades

My cat loves the rear deraileur too!  Can I ask what your rear shock PSI and rebound setting are?  I'm same weight but taller and on a large frame, running 240 PSI with rebound at 6 clicks out from closed.  Feels a little too fast vs the front end at times.

zilcho

« Reply #665 on: August 11, 2020, 03:12:53 PM »

Thanks

You need to check the tune... For a giant it is specific tuned for the maestro link...don't know what others use. But length en stroke are fine, so it will fit.

This is the same shock that a lot of people in this thread are using.  Can't speak to the tune but it seems to work fine.

Colt__Seavers

« Reply #666 on: August 12, 2020, 09:37:18 AM »
I wonder if I'm missing a plastic reduction bushing or something like that on my rear shock. The hole is 15,2mm on my float DPS

zilcho

« Reply #667 on: August 12, 2020, 09:47:48 AM »
I wonder if I'm missing a plastic reduction bushing or something like that on my rear shock. The hole is 15,2mm on my float DPS

This is what you need:
https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/products/fox-rear-shock-mounting-hardware-8mm-x-22-19mm-0-874-5-piece-aluminum-1

Colt__Seavers

« Reply #668 on: August 12, 2020, 10:27:59 AM »

This is what you need:
https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/products/fox-rear-shock-mounting-hardware-8mm-x-22-19mm-0-874-5-piece-aluminum-1
Thanks, is this normally supplied with the shock or with the frame?

Medico

« Reply #669 on: August 12, 2020, 10:29:43 AM »

This is what you need:

No. You have to buy it seperatly

Colt__Seavers

« Reply #670 on: August 12, 2020, 10:38:01 AM »

This is what you need:

But I only need one right? as the lower end will get attached by two M10 bolts which come with the frame?!

Medico

« Reply #671 on: August 12, 2020, 10:40:43 AM »

This is what you need:

But I only need one right? as the lower end will get attached by two M10 bolts which come with the frame?!

Yep

Colt__Seavers

« Reply #672 on: August 12, 2020, 10:44:08 AM »

This is what you need:

Yep
Thanks mate. First time building a fully here.

Medico

« Reply #673 on: August 12, 2020, 10:45:41 AM »

This is what you need:

Yep
Thanks mate. First time building a fully here.

I find it quite pleasing...dont rush it, take your time and enjoy!

Vipassana

« Reply #674 on: August 13, 2020, 11:42:16 AM »

This is great feedback.  My stats are about the same as yours; 5'10" and 165 lbs.  I'm on the fence about Med vs Lg.  I'm riding a large XC hardtail now, but could see the advantage of a more 'compact' sizing for a bike I'd be getting a bit rowdier on than I do with the hardtail (which is generally really long sessions of power to the pedals and less tech stuff).  I'm leaning towards Med for this frame.