Author Topic: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts  (Read 375427 times)

acedeuce802

Re: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts
« Reply #690 on: August 17, 2020, 10:18:53 AM »
Do you think there's enough room to run a second bottle cage using a universal clamp on cage hanging from the top tube?  Hard to tell from the pictures with those who have bottle cages on the downtube.

I am going to experiment with the Wolftooth system and see if I can get two 20oz bottles on the down tube.
Awesome, I'll be curious to see if you can fit that.  Unfortunately I think I'd go with a medium (I'm right in between medium and large) so there's likely not a whole lot of room in there.  I guess I could always do clamp on mounts under the downtube with a bottle with a covered nozzle.

impmonkey

« Reply #691 on: August 17, 2020, 10:24:40 PM »
Looking at used forks for the frame I just ordered (medium). How long has everyone been cutting their steerer tube? Obviously this will vary with frame size and riser preference.
Thanks!

theirishrider

« Reply #692 on: August 18, 2020, 05:39:24 AM »
Frame got seized by Irish customs! Sadly I think I will have to pay VAT. Does anybody know what Carbonda puts on the box for the value? Seems I have to submit a copy of my Paypal transaction. Does anyone have the same experience? Thanks!

Pharaohollie

« Reply #693 on: August 18, 2020, 06:02:35 AM »
Frame got seized by Irish customs! Sadly I think I will have to pay VAT. Does anybody know what Carbonda puts on the box for the value? Seems I have to submit a copy of my Paypal transaction. Does anyone have the same experience? Thanks!

I think Carbonda puts $120 or so if you don't explicitly ask them to under-invoice you. Where I live import duties are unavoidable, even if value is marked $0. I think they declared $120 and I paid some but wasn't what I'd have to pay on the frame's actual price of course.

theirishrider

« Reply #694 on: August 18, 2020, 06:20:15 AM »
I think Carbonda puts $120 or so if you don't explicitly ask them to under-invoice you. Where I live import duties are unavoidable, even if value is marked $0. I think they declared $120 and I paid some but wasn't what I'd have to pay on the frame's actual price of course.
Thanks! They asked for my paypal statement and my invoice - think it might be difficult to avoid paying the full VAT! :(

Pharaohollie

« Reply #695 on: August 18, 2020, 09:53:03 AM »
Looking at used forks for the frame I just ordered (medium). How long has everyone been cutting their steerer tube? Obviously this will vary with frame size and riser preference.
Thanks!

On my medium frame, I cut my steerer tube to 180mm. I am running an Ultimate USE 40mm stem which has a 45mm stack height I believe. Currenty I have two 10mm spacers below the stem with the topcap flush with the stem.

theirishrider

« Reply #696 on: August 18, 2020, 09:59:13 AM »
What tire widths are u all using? Seems carbonda says 2.35, wondering is 2.4 will fit? Thanks

wfl3

« Reply #697 on: August 18, 2020, 10:15:55 AM »
What tire widths are u all using? Seems carbonda says 2.35, wondering is 2.4 will fit? Thanks

I currently have a kenda sabre 2.4 on the rear of mine, plenty of room available for that tire.

chrswbrwn

« Reply #698 on: August 18, 2020, 08:46:48 PM »
Hi Everyone, I'm a long time lurker on this forum and I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the great information. My buddy and I have been riding Tideace FM-M009's for three years and we are about to plunge into the full suspension world. I've read through this whole thread and think I have a pretty good handle on the FM936. I've been emailing back and forth with Adam for a few days and am planning to pull the trigger on an XL frame tonight. I'm planning to reuse as many of my current bike's parts as possible.

One area I'm struggling with is the rear wheel. For those who have used the 142 to 148 boost conversion kits, how well does it work and is it a sustainable or just interim solution? How hard is it to take the wheel on and off with the spacer? I currently take my wheels off every time I ride to put the bike in the car.

Thanks!

Medico

« Reply #699 on: August 19, 2020, 12:00:48 AM »
Hi Everyone, I'm a long time lurker on this forum and I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the great information. My buddy and I have been riding Tideace FM-M009's for three years and we are about to plunge into the full suspension world. I've read through this whole thread and think I have a pretty good handle on the FM936. I've been emailing back and forth with Adam for a few days and am planning to pull the trigger on an XL frame tonight. I'm planning to reuse as many of my current bike's parts as possible.

One area I'm struggling with is the rear wheel. For those who have used the 142 to 148 boost conversion kits, how well does it work and is it a sustainable or just interim solution? How hard is it to take the wheel on and off with the spacer? I currently take my wheels off every time I ride to put the bike in the car.

Thanks!

I used a conversionkit for a month or 2 without any issues. But a would glue or tape the conversion rings to your wheel otherwise you will lose them someday. Without it, placing them between the frame and wheel is a pain..
I used a piece of gorillatape to fix it...others I've seen used glue.

Good luck!

Colt__Seavers

« Reply #700 on: August 19, 2020, 12:54:34 AM »

Thanks!

are there permantent fox kits, like DT offers new end caps which you just change with the old ones. I think a water resistent glue like UHU repair Extreme will do the job also. And it's not that hard to get rid of again, when you ave to.

theirishrider

« Reply #701 on: August 19, 2020, 08:35:28 AM »
So very annoyed, seems Shimano XT 1x12 is sold out everywhere in europe! Only https://www.bike24.com/p2333392.html is in stock and that's for the 165 cranks not 170! Darn it! Anybody seen it instock besides mantel (over priced)?

chrswbrwn

« Reply #702 on: August 19, 2020, 10:36:23 AM »

Thanks!

are there permantent fox kits, like DT offers new end caps which you just change with the old ones. I think a water resistent glue like UHU repair Extreme will do the job also. And it's not that hard to get rid of again, when you ave to.

Thanks for the input, I kind of figured it would be a hassel dealing with the spacer. My current wheels don't have a name brand hub that offers a kit or new end caps. I'll probably just buy a new rear wheel.

Colt__Seavers

« Reply #703 on: August 19, 2020, 01:59:56 PM »
So very annoyed, seems Shimano XT 1x12 is sold out everywhere in europe! Only https://www.bike24.com/p2333392.html is in stock and that's for the 165 cranks not 170! Darn it! Anybody seen it instock besides mantel (over priced)?

This year it's nuts with bikes and bike parts

Medico

« Reply #704 on: August 19, 2020, 02:14:26 PM »
You can try r2-bikes.com... but doubt they will have it... But why would younuse xt if slx is allmost half the price and just a bit havier... I really like slx, have it on both of my bikes without issues