Author Topic: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts  (Read 375361 times)

Colt__Seavers

Re: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts
« Reply #765 on: September 01, 2020, 01:07:53 PM »
IMPORTANT:
found a fitting, cheap, nice looking, light seatpost clamp on AliE.
It's such a great fit to the milled area on the seat tube, that I have to post it
https://a.aliexpress.com/_BPmwem
12€ for 11,3g

adroitrider

« Reply #766 on: September 01, 2020, 02:30:14 PM »
The BRAD 4 can definitely fit two larger bottles. Here is a close up...

But, the top bottle was rattling on the top tube during the ride so I put it in my jersey pocket.

I have a bit of room to shift that BRAD down a bit, that might allow enough room for the top bottle to rest quietly. If not, i will run a slightly smaller bottle in the top position.

Got in a nice 20 mile ride and did the first 4 miles with the shock locked out. Bike is fast.

acedeuce802

« Reply #767 on: September 01, 2020, 03:44:57 PM »
Cool to see 2 water bottles fitting on the XL.  I also found this bottle cage mount, may work out for smaller sizes.

https://www.on-lynecomponents.com/collections/the-holy-rail/products/holy-rail-dual-cage-kit

adroitrider

« Reply #768 on: September 01, 2020, 04:25:24 PM »
Cool to see 2 water bottles fitting on the XL.  I also found this bottle cage mount, may work out for smaller sizes.

https://www.on-lynecomponents.com/collections/the-holy-rail/products/holy-rail-dual-cage-kit

I think that one would fit the two large bottles better than the BRAD.

theirishrider

« Reply #769 on: September 01, 2020, 05:43:00 PM »
Full build here.... bit supprised at the total... still way cheaper than most off the shelf bikes with the same spec. Especially with carbon wheels.  :o :o

2,458.42Euro In parts alone. Honestly feel a bit sick looking at that. <- I Blame the person who made me add it all up! ahaha

What's the most annoying is a guy on ebay has the NS TR low model going for 3500GBP and I though I would be building mine for much less. The 268 VAT on the frame at customs was the killer here. My total including the frame was 3,612.74 Euro (23% VAT).

You can get the race version for 3.5k Euro from Wiggle or CRC https://www.wiggle.com/ns-bikes-synonym-race-2-suspension-bike-2020 - its a large reduction though  :(
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 07:02:39 PM by theirishrider »

Colt__Seavers

« Reply #770 on: September 02, 2020, 03:45:40 AM »
Full build here.... bit supprised at the total... still way cheaper than most off the shelf bikes with the same spec. Especially with carbon wheels.  :o :o

2,458.42Euro In parts alone. Honestly feel a bit sick looking at that. <- I Blame the person who made me add it all up! ahaha

What's the most annoying is a guy on ebay has the NS TR low model going for 3500GBP and I though I would be building mine for much less. The 268 VAT on the frame at customs was the killer here. My total including the frame was 3,612.74 Euro (23% VAT).

You can get the race version for 3.5k Euro from Wiggle or CRC https://www.wiggle.com/ns-bikes-synonym-race-2-suspension-bike-2020 - its a large reduction though  :(
Do I understand you right, you payed the same amount for your build than an equal NS Syn build costs? That would be strange

theirishrider

« Reply #771 on: September 02, 2020, 06:26:18 AM »
Do I understand you right, you payed the same amount for your build than an equal NS Syn build costs? That would be strange
Well yes and no. At Wiggle/CRC for us Europeans:
The NS Bikes Synonym 2 is 3.5k (List Price €4,754.39 Save 26%), but I have better spec IMO and there is no large is stock.
The NS Bikes Synonym 1 is 4.6k (List Price €6,112.79 Save 24%)  and would be more similar to my spec, no carbon wheels but does have carbon bars and cranks - you win some you loose some compared to my build.
NS Bikes Synonym Race 2 is 3.5k (List Price €4,641.19 Save 25%) and is the race version, they have L in stock but I didn't want 100mm Travel. You will not have a good time (IMO) in Ireland on the rocks with 100mm if you're trying to keep up with 130mm-140mm bikes.
These discounts were not on 1 month ago when I ordered. Plus alot of people never had their stuff seized by customs so i'm pretty unlucky.

adroitrider

« Reply #772 on: September 02, 2020, 10:00:54 AM »
Re, derailleur hangers, the frame comes with one extra.

The packaging on my order was less than ideal and the hanger popped out of the box and took some damage in shipping. I would order 3-4 additional hangers.

Does anyone have a link to a hanger that works for this frame?

wfl3

« Reply #773 on: September 02, 2020, 10:54:00 AM »

The packaging on my order was less than ideal and the hanger popped out of the box and took some damage in shipping. I would order 3-4 additional hangers.

Looks like this one:   https://wheelsmfg.com/derailleur-hangers/thru-axle-hangers/derailleur-hanger-309.html

But I'd prob just contact Adam/Carbonda and order a few directly.  Might take a bit longer, but should be a lot cheaper.

adroitrider

« Reply #774 on: September 02, 2020, 11:00:03 AM »

Photos of damaged box and hanger poking out.

carbonazza

« Reply #775 on: September 02, 2020, 12:12:31 PM »
...I would order 3-4 additional hangers.

The picture are quite blurred. Is it just paint scratches or it is bent ?
Did you check the frame around that area for a crack ?

Carbonda can provide you with a hanger, the shipping is cheap for such small item.

Before I was buying 2 hangers for each frames I did build.
And have a collection now as none of the riders needed it.
By experience it is useless, one is enough.
Maybe two if you are particularly unlucky.

Vipassana

« Reply #776 on: September 02, 2020, 12:27:37 PM »

Carbonda can provide you with a hanger, the shipping is cheap for such small item.

Any further word on your BSA frame order?

Colt__Seavers

« Reply #777 on: September 02, 2020, 04:13:15 PM »

If you mean from your experiences with gravel builds, I wouldn't compare those with XC riding where it's more likely to ruin a hanger

adroitrider

« Reply #778 on: September 02, 2020, 04:34:43 PM »

Chasing a shifting issue. Only the two middle cogs struggle to shift down the cassette, very sluggish like the chain isn't picking up the ramps. I have been monkeying with the barrel adjuster for a few days. The encyclopedia of bike issues says this is a text book bent derailleur hanger...

Will replace and find out.

wfl3

« Reply #779 on: September 02, 2020, 05:19:37 PM »

Chasing a shifting issue. Only the two middle cogs struggle to shift down the cassette, very sluggish like the chain isn't picking up the ramps. I have been monkeying with the barrel adjuster for a few days. The encyclopedia of bike issues says this is a text book bent derailleur hanger...

Will replace and find out.

Even new hangers can be a bit out of spec and new 11/12 speed drivetrains really require a lot tighter tolerance on hanger straightness.

All home builders should invest in a hanger alignment tool, mine has paid for itself many times over already.

In fact I just had to straighten the hanger on my FM936 this past weekend after a spill and the shifting went to crap.  It looked straight to the eye, but was off quite a bit.