Author Topic: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts  (Read 375441 times)

Colt__Seavers

Re: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts
« Reply #795 on: September 04, 2020, 01:20:46 AM »

Haven't weighed the bike yet but frame was to spec.

Looks like a very light build. Wonder how much you did spend on components.

Why you did take size L? Your seatpost length looks enormous!

theirishrider

« Reply #796 on: September 04, 2020, 07:24:38 AM »
Haven't weighed the bike yet but frame was to spec.

iye yes, must be at least 3.5k euro  since it's got the same drive but a better fork than my build.

theirishrider

« Reply #797 on: September 05, 2020, 07:28:08 AM »
Just fitted my Shimano XT brakes with 180mm adapters. Installing the short bolts without the bracket is tight goodness! Can't even get a Hex key in line with the bolt without rubbing against the frame.  Installing the longer bolts was a pain, had to use a rounded edge key at an angle.

Zdrenka89

« Reply #798 on: September 08, 2020, 10:33:49 AM »
Looks SO good!! Congrats!! Have you got a link to the oval rings? What dropper did you go with! Thanks :)

Thank you! I like the look a lot too. Great looking frame.
Chainring is indeed Garbaruk - https://r2-bike.com/GARBARUK-Chainring-Round-Direct-Mount-1-speed-narrow-wide-Shimano-M7100-M8100-black-32-Teeth

Dropper is a OneUp v2 210mm. Works great and does give that all important confidence on the steeeps.

...only had to get used to the geo. Handles great ones you get a hang of it...
What is so different compared to your previous bike ?

I come from road cycling and cyclocross so a MTB feels significantly different. Big volume tires, long wheelbase, slack front end and geo that 'changes' in corners is something different. :)
I have several more rides on it now and it is very confidence inspiring. You have to think a little further ahead because of the wheelbase when you are threading the needle through the trees but it is so smooth and efficient over rooty terrain.
Im gonna get a slightly longer stem (40mm now, will probably try a 60mm with a little drop) and slide the seat back 10mm. Should i have gone for the XL?.... maybe. Hard to say since i dont know if the wheelsbase would feel to long.
I dont feel awkward on the bike but its probably not far from the limit.

Bike is weighed now - 11.8kg - not that light but OK considering big tires, almost 600g seatpost and non-SL frame. Im happy! :)

I have not calculated the price to the Euro but 3,5k is probably not far off (good guess theirishrider...). Might be a bit over unfortunately...

I took an L because my Torso is short compared to my legs AND my local woods are quite tight and twisty. I was a bit worried about the overall length of the XL. I like the low handlebar on my L so an XL would have needed negativ rise stem and flatbar to get the same position. Its all compromises!  ::)

bbr

« Reply #799 on: September 09, 2020, 05:20:41 AM »
Just need to check, what is the actual chainstay lenght?
 Is it 440 or 438?
I think they could easily made it 435.
 Perhaps a future enhancement  that is could shorten chainstay  and swingarm brace/linkage for a 45mm shock.

SlappinBerms

« Reply #800 on: September 09, 2020, 08:29:16 AM »
Hey guys, just found out some info on hangers and some other stuff after a pretty major crash :)

Hangers need to be ordered through Adam at carbonda. They are 5usd ea w/ 15usd shipping.

Next, if you're like me and have had to remove the rear wheel a few times you may notice the depth of the allen key isn't very deep and causes your hex head tools to not fit in there very deep. I started stripping the axel and went ahead and bought myself a new one. I ordered this axel and it fit in there flawlessly. Super high quality fit and finish on that thing. Worth putting on your shred sled!

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/collections/hub-related/products/wolf-axle-for-12mm-rear-thru-axle?variant=13658986053667
178 x 1.5

dhengen

« Reply #801 on: September 09, 2020, 04:28:13 PM »

I took an L because my Torso is short compared to my legs AND my local woods are quite tight and twisty. I was a bit worried about the overall length of the XL. I like the low handlebar on my L so an XL would have needed negativ rise stem and flatbar to get the same position. Its all compromises!  ::)

I understand. I'm 6'2" and have ordered a L for similar reasons. I'm going to start with 50mm stem and can run 60mm if needed. When descending it should fit really well. I did want that agility and nimbleness when pedaling in tight/twisty areas. At my height I'm usually just between sizes so will likely have a big seat-post showing (have the same OneUp 210mm dropper). Frame should be showing up later this month!

Denis

« Reply #802 on: September 10, 2020, 07:22:26 AM »
Just need to check, what is the actual chainstay lenght?
 Is it 440 or 438?
I think they could easily made it 435.
 Perhaps a future enhancement  that is could shorten chainstay  and swingarm brace/linkage for a 45mm shock.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 07:24:19 AM by Denis »

bbr

« Reply #803 on: September 10, 2020, 10:35:54 AM »
Thanks. Just as i thought. Not a bad thing, plenty stable.
No. I dont own one, juat waiting if there be a v2.

Denis

« Reply #804 on: September 10, 2020, 11:54:03 AM »
I think it's nice and balanced geo for ups and downs, with 120mm fork. Just a bottom bracket may be too low even with 120 fork.

bbr

« Reply #805 on: September 10, 2020, 12:17:54 PM »
Wonder if anyone tried with a 130mm?
Even with sta of 75.5 or so it still be alright
And yes. I think it is a balanced chassis.

adroitrider

« Reply #806 on: September 11, 2020, 07:53:49 PM »
I think it's nice and balanced geo for ups and downs, with 120mm fork. Just a bottom bracket may be too low even with 120 fork.

I have noticed more pedal strikes on things I have never even consider a risk on my other bikes. Could just be I’m seated and pedaling more on rough sections.

wfl3

« Reply #807 on: September 12, 2020, 06:42:35 AM »
The BB is definitely low on this bike.  Mine is 12.25" with a 100mm fork and 2.25 tires.

I'm running 170mm cranks and still get more strikes than normal.  I may swap the 120mm fork over from another bike just to see where that puts the BB.

ETA: A quick measurement and it looks like the 120mm swap would bring the BB up a bit over 1/2" or around 14mm.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 08:03:11 AM by wfl3 »

theirishrider

« Reply #808 on: September 14, 2020, 08:31:03 AM »
Talking abouit BBs, has anyone got an suggestions for BB protection? Beyond mastik tape. Also anyone have any suggestions about how to make a little piece of alu or steel for the chain ring protection on the chainstay next to the chain ring since mine was missing? :(
My BTLOS wheels shipped this week so I'm looking forward to a ride!

Pharaohollie

« Reply #809 on: September 14, 2020, 08:35:09 AM »
Talking abouit BBs, has anyone got an suggestions for BB protection? Beyond mastik tape. Also anyone have any suggestions about how to make a little piece of alu or steel for the chain ring protection on the chainstay next to the chain ring since mine was missing? :(
My BTLOS wheels shipped this week so I'm looking forward to a ride!

I made a downtube protector out of a Kydex sheet that I molded with a heat gun and used double-sided tape to affix it. You could do the same by cutting Kydex to shape for chainstay protection at the BB.