Author Topic: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts  (Read 375341 times)

BeTon

Re: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts
« Reply #930 on: October 24, 2020, 07:22:14 AM »
I hope to receive my medium FM936 with BSA BB within a few weeks so the parts party can begin! As a cheap dutchie, I'll be sourcing ' like new'  parts mostly. It will be my do it all bike, so a comprimise between reliability, costs and weight.

What I already have:
Syncros Revelstoke wheelset, like new. Bit on the heavy side (1850gr) but 30mm internal width rims
Fox Performance rear shock EVOL 165-42.5 from Fleabay (from an Anthem X Pro)

What I am still looking for, with some questions:
Dropper, what stroke is possible in a Medium frame? I'll probably go for a OneUp
Fork, hesitating between a 120mm Fox 34 performance elite or the new RS SID Select. What offset is recommended for the fork if I go for 120mm?
SRAM GX, X01 mix with Truvativ Descendant Carbon DUB cranks What crank length is recommended?
SDG Bel Air V3 seat, personal favorite
Shimano SLX 4 pot brakes
Don't know yet about the cockpit, will come to that later (740-780mm bar, 50-70mm stem)

Any other tips, tricks? I'll work my way through 63 pages comments as well of course ;)

carbonazza

« Reply #931 on: October 24, 2020, 08:29:18 AM »
Hey,
I told Adam, that I only want a dark blue clear coat, like the Orbea.
I think they added some sequins, for me this no problem. ( you can see it at sec 15.)

Thank you for sharing the video !
I didn't see the Orbea, but a friend have a Trek road bike, with a transparent red.
I felt in love with it, but thought blue would be original, well... no ;)
We'll have the same color !

Jotegr

« Reply #932 on: October 24, 2020, 09:39:03 AM »
Ah, nice choice! Candy clears over carbon are very vogue right now, even more so than fades. I'm sure that's going to look really nice once it's all done up.

zorinena

« Reply #933 on: October 24, 2020, 11:19:15 AM »
I hope to receive my medium FM936 with BSA BB within a few weeks so the parts party can begin! As a cheap dutchie, I'll be sourcing ' like new'  parts mostly. It will be my do it all bike, so a comprimise between reliability, costs and weight.

What I already have:
Syncros Revelstoke wheelset, like new. Bit on the heavy side (1850gr) but 30mm internal width rims
Fox Performance rear shock EVOL 165-42.5 from Fleabay (from an Anthem X Pro)

What I am still looking for, with some questions:
Dropper, what stroke is possible in a Medium frame? I'll probably go for a OneUp -
Fork, hesitating between a 120mm Fox 34 performance elite or the new RS SID Select. What offset is recommended for the fork if I go for 120mm?
SRAM GX, X01 mix with Truvativ Descendant Carbon DUB cranks What crank length is recommended?
SDG Bel Air V3 seat, personal favorite
Shimano SLX 4 pot brakes
Don't know yet about the cockpit, will come to that later (740-780mm bar, 50-70mm stem)

Any other tips, tricks? I'll work my way through 63 pages comments as well of course ;)

Dropper I believe for the medium, the consensus was 150 mm or 100 mm ( it only accepts 180 mm insert from one of the previous posts )
Fork - i believe it is 44mm offset
I am getting all all SRAM GX with 175mm and the new carbon crank ( GX )
Ive ordered the SRAM 8120 brakes.. ( should be here next week )
Still waiting on the frame..

Cerps

« Reply #934 on: October 24, 2020, 12:01:17 PM »
I have to say I do like the lines of this frame. The ride is fantastic, too.

I don't know if I've asked you specifically. I've asked all over and lost track. What are you using for a downtube protector?

BeTon

« Reply #935 on: October 24, 2020, 12:53:49 PM »
Dropper I believe for the medium, the consensus was 150 mm or 100 mm ( it only accepts 180 mm insert from one of the previous posts )
Fork - i believe it is 44mm offset
I am getting all all SRAM GX with 175mm and the new carbon crank ( GX )
Ive ordered the SRAM 8120 brakes.. ( should be here next week )
Still waiting on the frame..

Thanks! I have been reading quite a lot on the offset, 51mm seems common on 120 forks that replace 100mm forks to decrease the trail a bit caused by the longer stroke and slacker head angle. However, to increase slow speed uphill maneuverability, progressive brands move the wheel towards the frame again by reducing the offset to 44. I think I'll look for a 44mm 120 fork.  ::)

Jotegr

« Reply #936 on: October 24, 2020, 02:14:34 PM »
I'd probably recommend 170mm cranks at the longest. You really don't lose anything and the BB on this bike is on the low side. If you already had a nice set of 175's fair enough but 170 is probably more appropriate.

Also, I remember a few weeks ago we were discussing chainstay protection with this bike.

I think you could do a good looking custom set with this stuff if you took your time! https://www.ridewrap.ca/products/chainstay-armor/

dhengen

« Reply #937 on: October 24, 2020, 07:37:36 PM »
Thanks! I have been reading quite a lot on the offset, 51mm seems common on 120 forks that replace 100mm forks to decrease the trail a bit caused by the longer stroke and slacker head angle. However, to increase slow speed uphill maneuverability, progressive brands move the wheel towards the frame again by reducing the offset to 44. I think I'll look for a 44mm 120 fork.  ::)

I found it helpful to take design cues from NS Bikes, who use this frame on the Synonym. They use 44mm offset on 120mm fork, as well as 170mm crank length (175mm on XL being the exception).

theirishrider

« Reply #938 on: October 25, 2020, 06:52:02 AM »
I found it helpful to take design cues from NS Bikes, who use this frame on the Synonym. They use 44mm offset on 120mm fork, as well as 170mm crank length (175mm on XL being the exception).

44mm on Rockshox sid 120mm feels anmazing. I can't compare it to anything but i don't feel any twitchyness and it's as agile as needed. Short stem of 60mm feels great.
I'm 185cm and running 175mm on my Giant TCR and 170mm on this and I will say that I can't notice the difference! 170 will reduce a few rock strikes before. Your saddle position would make more of a difference. As explained by Peak Torque

theirishrider

« Reply #939 on: October 25, 2020, 06:59:16 AM »
Shimano SLX 4 pot brakes

I reccomend 2 pot Shimano XT/SLX. I think you'd struggle to get to the point where you need 4 pot on this bike considering the type of riding it's capable of. With the Ice tech rotors they stay cooler than other brakes too. 2 pot saves some weight too. At a maximum, 4 pot front, 2 pot back. I was going to do 4 pot too but with 180mm rotors, it's not really needed to put 4 pot.

BeTon

« Reply #940 on: October 25, 2020, 09:12:13 AM »
I'd probably recommend 170mm cranks at the longest. You really don't lose anything and the BB on this bike is on the low side. If you already had a nice set of 175's fair enough but 170 is probably more appropriate.

From all the comments it looks like I'll go for a 170mm crank.

Good one, I read that somewhere elso in this topic, but I forgot. Very helpful indeed!

44mm on Rockshox sid 120mm feels anmazing. I can't compare it to anything but i don't feel any twitchyness and it's as agile as needed. Short stem of 60mm feels great.
I'm 185cm and running 175mm on my Giant TCR and 170mm on this and I will say that I can't notice the difference! 170 will reduce a few rock strikes before. Your saddle position would make more of a difference. As explained by Peak Torque

Just ordered a 120mm Sid Select 2021, 120mm, 35mm stanchions, 44mm offset. Thanks for your input!

I reccomend 2 pot Shimano XT/SLX. I think you'd struggle to get to the point where you need 4 pot on this bike considering the type of riding it's capable of. With the Ice tech rotors they stay cooler than other brakes too. 2 pot saves some weight too. At a maximum, 4 pot front, 2 pot back. I was going to do 4 pot too but with 180mm rotors, it's not really needed to put 4 pot.

It does safe some weight and costs. www.bike-discount.de offers a set with the 4pot front and 2pot rear for 188 EUR. Might go for that, unless I find an as-new set with the 2pots. Thanks!

Jotegr

« Reply #941 on: October 25, 2020, 09:49:54 AM »

Don't assume how fat/not fat we are  :P

theirishrider

« Reply #942 on: October 25, 2020, 01:20:35 PM »
From all the comments it looks like I'll go for a 170mm crank.
Just ordered a 120mm Sid Select 2021, 120mm, 35mm stanchions, 44mm offset. Thanks for your input!
That's the one i have, you'll love it! I got the 35mm one, not the SL one. It feels amazing on the rough stuff. On a 130mm Reba my hands were numb on the the local trail, with the SID I didn't have any of that. Stiff too!

theirishrider

« Reply #943 on: October 25, 2020, 01:21:21 PM »
Don't assume how fat/not fat we are  :P
Haha, No fat shaming here! only gram counting ;)

Pharaohollie

« Reply #944 on: October 25, 2020, 01:35:56 PM »
I don't know if I've asked you specifically. I've asked all over and lost track. What are you using for a downtube protector?

A strip cut out of EVA floor mat tile. Shaped with an exacto knife to be flat on the bottom and zigzag on the top. Affixed to the top of the chainstay with small pieces of double-sided tape and wrapped with a single layer of self-amalgamating tape.

Edit: Oops, brain fart there, sorry! I somehow read your question about the chainstay protector. The downtube protector is a piece of Kydex that I heated with a heat gun, then shaped right on the frame with thick work gloves gloves on, then affixed with double-sided tape to the frame.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 01:41:36 PM by Pharaohollie »