Author Topic: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts  (Read 375573 times)

reddi

Re: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts
« Reply #1080 on: November 17, 2020, 01:51:24 PM »
A couple of answers for you in no particular order.
My current full squish (Evil Following MB) climbs better than my hard tail on 90% of the terrain I ride. Anything that isn't smooth, and the FS does better. Lots of rocky, rooty and rutted technical climbs where the FS does much better because it is so much better at maintaining tread contact. Set the suspension up correctly and I doubt you'd miss your HT on anything but the smoothest climbs.

I have never used the lockout, even on the street or smooth fire roads. However, my XC racing buddies use remote lockouts and both swear by them.

Carbonda shows 150 g difference for the SL in size M. I doubt you'll get 200 on an XL and even if you did, you could probably save more weight spending that money elsewhere.

This bike will shock you with how much better it feels going down than the typical XC HT. The geometry gives it so much stability. It's not an enduro, but drop the seat and point it down and have fun.

Thanks a lot for your input! Just as i thought it would be. Anyway, I'll stick to the lockout for asphalt roads and finish line sprints ;)
It will alredy help a lot if i feel confident to try on my "i dont dare"-Passages. I think that's what i can expect from this bike. If it shocks me, i'll be ok with that.
Only tight corners might remain a problem, but one can't have everything.

In conclusion, i guess i will wait for my 300 h overwork to be payed at the end of the year and convert that into a new bike 8)
Until then, i'll think about a nice color to have the frame painted. I remember some some candy red anywhere in this thread...

Finally, you won't hit 11 kg with a dropper unless you have lots of really lite parts already, friends who will sell you really lite parts on the cheap or you spend a bunch of money. Limited budget and lite weight don't really go together.
Limited budget is a relative term ;) I thought about 3500€ (~4150 USD) and if it gets 200 bucks more, that's no big deal.
Also keep in mind that i don't think about a mini-enduro to do huge bikepark airtimes. So there's no need for bulletproof-style components.
With SID/SIDluxe, 1400 g wheelset based on chiner rims, Sram GX groupset, Shimano XT Brakes, OneUp Seatpost and Stuff like Handlebar, Saddle and Pedals coming from AliExpress, my spreatsheed says 3600 € and 10900 g at this point. Even with tubeless milk. Only thing that's missing by now is the shifting cables.
So i think it's not impossible - and i don't cry if the result is 11.1 kg.

Currently i wonder if Gripshift & Twistloc will fit with current Shimano brakes... i saw some Pics that don't look too well. Looks like trial & error, i guess.

theirishrider

« Reply #1081 on: November 17, 2020, 02:11:04 PM »

Currently i wonder if Gripshift & Twistloc will fit with current Shimano brakes... i saw some Pics that don't look too well. Looks like trial & error, i guess.
I have SID Select twistloc, fits well with shimano M8100. I'll send a pic tomorrow :)

reddi

« Reply #1082 on: November 17, 2020, 02:22:42 PM »
I have SID Select twistloc, fits well with shimano M8100. I'll send a pic tomorrow :)
Thanks in advance! Should help a lot  :)

jever98

« Reply #1083 on: November 17, 2020, 04:27:40 PM »
@reddi: would you do one lockout lever for simultaneous front and rear lockout? Also, if you could share your spreadsheet, that would be super! I am thinking along the same lines as you and would appreciate the inspiration.

adroitrider

« Reply #1084 on: November 17, 2020, 07:39:53 PM »
I got 11.75kgs including pedals, stainless bottle cage, and a heavy saddle.

The weight of my XL SL w all included bits was 2098g.

I think this is an ideal marathon bike.

I am 170lbs and have run the Sidluxe shock at 200psi and 180psi. Still not getting close to 42.5mm stroke.

QuentinLL

« Reply #1085 on: November 18, 2020, 02:13:23 AM »
Hi, here is my table of weight and price.
I would like to buy a 165x40 (or 42,5) SIDLuxe with remote, but I can't find it for sale... Or a DT Swiss 535 (all mountain) with "2 in 1" remote.
The bike will be around 11kg

reddi

« Reply #1086 on: November 18, 2020, 04:51:16 AM »
@reddi: would you do one lockout lever for simultaneous front and rear lockout? Also, if you could share your spreadsheet, that would be super! I am thinking along the same lines as you and would appreciate the inspiration.

I think for a sprint you'd like to have a completely blocked suspension, so having to move two levers is unnecessary effort. Also, i can't imagine where to put two lockout levers at the handlebar with shifter, brake levers, seat post remote and bell. Plus, the Twistloc that comes with the Fork is perfectly suited to block both components simultaneously.
(Actually it will be a little complicated to block both suspensions with one standard Lever that pulls only one cable... ::))

Current state of my spreadsheet is attached. Adding cable housing made me exceed the 11 kg target  >:(. I wonder where to save some weight with little effort. Any idea?

Those parts with questionmarks are not determinded yet, so price and weight is guessed. I take recommendations ;)
Also, i am thinking about a little wider rims (30 mm inner width instead of these 27 mm) and wider tires. Both would increase my wish to save weight somewhere.

EDIT: Just noticed that ZTTO M2 hubs are non-boost. The corresponding M1 hubs are boost, but come with centerlock. Keep in mind when looking for those hubs.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 07:10:18 AM by reddi »

QuentinLL

« Reply #1087 on: November 18, 2020, 07:10:07 AM »
Are you sure 387g for both front and rear brakes ?

reddi

« Reply #1088 on: November 18, 2020, 07:21:26 AM »
Damn, another pitfall.
At r2-bike i was too lazy to look at the pictures (or to use my brain :-[) and just scrolled down to the weight info. Sould have thought of people celebrating brakes that come for 200 g each without Disc and less than 400 g are too low for two not-so-light brakes.

Weight adds up...  :(

QuentinLL

« Reply #1089 on: November 18, 2020, 07:28:54 AM »
You might also consider adding :
  • Stem spacer
  • expander / star
  • rim tape (30g / wheel)
  • sealant (50mL / wheel is not enough i guess)

:-X

Colt__Seavers

« Reply #1090 on: November 18, 2020, 08:01:51 AM »
I think for a sprint you'd like to have a completely blocked suspension, so having to move two levers is unnecessary effort. Also, i can't imagine where to put two lockout levers at the handlebar with shifter, brake levers, seat post remote and bell. Plus, the Twistloc that comes with the Fork is perfectly suited to block both components simultaneously.
(Actually it will be a little complicated to block both suspensions with one standard Lever that pulls only one cable... ::))

Current state of my spreadsheet is attached. Adding cable housing made me exceed the 11 kg target  >:(. I wonder where to save some weight with little effort. Any idea?

Those parts with questionmarks are not determinded yet, so price and weight is guessed. I take recommendations ;)
Also, i am thinking about a little wider rims (30 mm inner width instead of these 27 mm) and wider tires. Both would increase my wish to save weight somewhere.

EDIT: Just noticed that ZTTO M2 hubs are non-boost. The corresponding M1 hubs are boost, but come with centerlock. Keep in mind when looking for those hubs.

now you leaked my build thread. wanted to post it here in the near future. Don't wanted to have too many people seeing what I'm up to.

our builds definitely have a lot of parallelism.
The wheelset ist almost 100% identical, only you will use brass and I will try aluminum nipples. I know of the electrochemical reaction of aluminum an carbon when water or milk comes into play, but I got word from a very professional wheel builder that with the black Sapim Polyax aluminium nipples they don't have any corrosion problems anymore. I will trust that saying and will also try keep my bike as dry as possible, so the nipples don't see any water.
you could save 40g there

you could save around 60g with extralite grips
you could save a lot with another crank

like others said, dont forget all these small parts. They will also ruin your weight list

adroitrider

« Reply #1091 on: November 18, 2020, 08:52:53 AM »
Focus on the unsprung items: wheels, cassette, rotors and bolts, calipers and bolts. 

For the sprung weight, switch from IPA to red wine and ride everyday.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 09:00:52 AM by adroitrider »

carbonazza

« Reply #1092 on: November 18, 2020, 09:11:49 AM »
...calipers and bolts...
Do you put Ti bolts on your calipers ?

Colt__Seavers

« Reply #1093 on: November 18, 2020, 09:57:54 AM »
Do you put Ti bolts on your calipers ?
I do!

QuentinLL

« Reply #1094 on: November 18, 2020, 10:01:02 AM »
Better saving weight on rotating parts.

You can save 70-100g on the cassette for 100 € (9-50T from ali)
180g on the bracket
100g on pedals

80-100g on bar/stem for 80€ (integrated from ali)
This is the only thing i can see with reasonable budget.