Author Topic: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts  (Read 375508 times)

albar

Re: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts
« Reply #1275 on: December 24, 2020, 07:43:47 AM »
Nice bike! What a white powder on the ground ? )

Stem seems a little bit long for L size.

Thank you! Stem is 70, it feels comfortable now. Maybe will try 60, when white powder will gone:)

ENEP

« Reply #1276 on: December 29, 2020, 08:01:43 AM »
Looking to purchase a FM936 but can't decide on frame size.
I'm 186 cm tall and have an inseam of 88cm without shoes.
Would you recommend Large or X-Large?
Would greatly appreciate if you can motivate, maybe I'll learn something :)

Thank you!

theirishrider

« Reply #1277 on: December 29, 2020, 09:59:35 AM »

Thank you!

I'm 185cm with a similar arm span and long legs.  I need to measure the inseam to tell you.  I ride the Large (L) with a 60mm stem and sweep back flat bars, 44mm offset fork and find it's more than big enough.  If I used 0deg backsweep and 70mm it would be fine if I was 190cm I think.

zilcho

« Reply #1278 on: December 29, 2020, 09:14:21 PM »

Thank you!

I'm 188cm on a size large, but questioning if I should have gone with a medium.  Compare the frame geometry to other bikes on the market and what you're used to, its almost as if the Carbonda chart is off by a size even when comparing to other modern downcountry frames.  I'm running a 60mm stem with 44mm offset 120mm fork and feel the the front end gets away from me on step drops and the bike is difficult to maneuver around switchbacks.  But I'm also coming from road and used to a smaller frame under me/being over the front of the bike a bit more.

ENEP

« Reply #1279 on: December 29, 2020, 10:24:57 PM »
has anyone seen any damper for this frame with remote lockout?
165x37,/38/40/42,5?

X-fusion O2 PRO RLR 165x40mm, Trunnion.

The RLR modell is with remote. RL is without remote.

Denis

« Reply #1280 on: December 30, 2020, 12:58:54 AM »
165x37,/38/40/42,5?
DT 535 or Fox DPS + buy remote kit conversion.

reddi

« Reply #1281 on: December 30, 2020, 02:30:17 AM »
165x37,/38/40/42,5?
Fox, DT 535 and X-Fusion are already mentioned
+ DT 232 One, but i'm not sure if you can route the cable in an appropriate way
+ SR Suntour Edge RLR (was not able to get one, might be OEM)
+ RockShox has 165 trunnion shocks (Sidluxe & Monarch) for remote lockout as OEM, so in future there should be used ones for sale occasionally.
+ standard 165 shocks with a trunnion adapter kit

Thank you!
What are top tube lenght and reach of your current bike(s) in comparison?
For example, my current bike has a 640 mm TT and i use a 90 mm stem. So a FM936 in L would give me the same length and a XL is either same length with shorter stem or offers a more stretched position.
As i dont feel stretched on my current bike at all and i want a shorter stem, i ordered XL.
Your numbers, current feeling and conclusion will differ, but that's the way i made my decision.
Edit: with 88 cm inseam at 186 cm overall, you have a way shorter torso than i have (short 78 inseam at 188 overall). So i guess L might be the better option for you, especially if you merely look for a trail bike than a stretched marathon racer.

By the way, does anybody know how carbonda takes christmas and new year? Do they shut the doors as european companies would do? I dont want to message them "whats the status?" annoyingly after they spent ten nice days with their families. But I'm the most impatient man on earth and china doesnt care that much about christian holidays...
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 02:34:51 AM by reddi »

ENEP

« Reply #1282 on: December 30, 2020, 05:25:33 AM »
Fox, DT 535 and X-Fusion are already mentioned
+ DT 232 One, but i'm not sure if you can route the cable in an appropriate way
+ SR Suntour Edge RLR (was not able to get one, might be OEM)
+ RockShox has 165 trunnion shocks (Sidluxe & Monarch) for remote lockout as OEM, so in future there should be used ones for sale occasionally.
+ standard 165 shocks with a trunnion adapter kit
What are top tube lenght and reach of your current bike(s) in comparison?
For example, my current bike has a 640 mm TT and i use a 90 mm stem. So a FM936 in L would give me the same length and a XL is either same length with shorter stem or offers a more stretched position.
As i dont feel stretched on my current bike at all and i want a shorter stem, i ordered XL.
Your numbers, current feeling and conclusion will differ, but that's the way i made my decision.
Edit: with 88 cm inseam at 186 cm overall, you have a way shorter torso than i have (short 78 inseam at 188 overall). So i guess L might be the better option for you, especially if you merely look for a trail bike than a stretched marathon racer.

By the way, does anybody know how carbonda takes christmas and new year? Do they shut the doors as european companies would do? I dont want to message them "whats the status?" annoyingly after they spent ten nice days with their families. But I'm the most impatient man on earth and china doesnt care that much about christian holidays...

Current bike has 656mm toptube with 35mm stem and reach is 460mm.
Sometimes the current bike feels small and like I'm "on top of the bike" and not "in the bike and one with the bike". I am between size recommendations on my current bike having a Large while a X-large would also be okay according to manufacturer. I don't feel stretched out on current bike.
Currently only riding trails leisurly as the bike is a long travel enduro model. In the future with a FM936 i mighty try my luck with xc marathon style riding/racing.

I'm leaning towards choosing a size Large FM936, mostly due to i'm afraid the minimum saddle height might be to high on an XL and being in the way for the descents.

Edit: Added geo-comparison attachment.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 06:55:30 AM by ENEP »

albar

« Reply #1283 on: December 30, 2020, 05:50:30 AM »
I did one ride for 40 km on size large with 70 mm stem and it feels perfect. I’am 185 cm. Maybe later will try 60 or 50 mm stem. Now it is too much snow to ride XC-bike)
The question about shocks is do we need lockout. As I told I did only one ride and can’t decide now.
I’m afraid that open mode will be too soft to ride fast pedaling trails and locked will be too firm and will not be enough traction. 
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 05:53:00 AM by albar »

theirishrider

« Reply #1284 on: December 30, 2020, 07:08:56 AM »
I'm 188cm on a size large, but questioning if I should have gone with a medium.  Compare the frame geometry to other bikes on the market and what you're used to, its almost as if the Carbonda chart is off by a size even when comparing to other modern downcountry frames.  I'm running a 60mm stem with 44mm offset 120mm fork and feel the the front end gets away from me on step drops and the bike is difficult to maneuver around switchbacks.  But I'm also coming from road and used to a smaller frame under me/being over the front of the bike a bit more.

It's for sure long. Its hard to say if its too long though. I guess an enduro bike, correctly sized for 185-190cm would be a similar length?  - maybe he can check the NS Synonym sizing chart.

reddi

« Reply #1285 on: December 30, 2020, 11:54:56 AM »
Current bike has 656mm toptube with 35mm stem and reach is 460mm.
Sometimes the current bike feels small and like I'm "on top of the bike" and not "in the bike and one with the bike". I am between size recommendations on my current bike having a Large while a X-large would also be okay according to manufacturer. I don't feel stretched out on current bike.
Currently only riding trails leisurly as the bike is a long travel enduro model. In the future with a FM936 i mighty try my luck with xc marathon style riding/racing.

I'm leaning towards choosing a size Large FM936, mostly due to i'm afraid the minimum saddle height might be to high on an XL and being in the way for the descents.

Edit: Added geo-comparison attachment.

Okay, that's really difficult. With XL, you don't have the option to have the same seating position as you have now. Without regarding the steeper seat tube angle, your position will be stretched by at least 8 mm. You could try that out with a 45 mm stem at your current bike. Might be good if you feel a bit cramped now.
On the other hand, one tends to use a longer stem at bikes with less travel. So chosing L and a >50 mm stem would give you the same position as you have now... bad thing is, it could feel wrong using a longer stem on this bike, when taking into account that you might like switching to a more stretched position.

With 88 cm inseam i highly doubt you get a problem with the seat tube. Even i with my short legs get a 150 mm dropper fit in a XL frame. Just measure your current distance from BB zu seat rails and do some easy calculation.

ENEP

« Reply #1286 on: December 31, 2020, 02:41:21 AM »
Okay, that's really difficult. With XL, you don't have the option to have the same seating position as you have now. Without regarding the steeper seat tube angle, your position will be stretched by at least 8 mm. You could try that out with a 45 mm stem at your current bike. Might be good if you feel a bit cramped now.
On the other hand, one tends to use a longer stem at bikes with less travel. So chosing L and a >50 mm stem would give you the same position as you have now... bad thing is, it could feel wrong using a longer stem on this bike, when taking into account that you might like switching to a more stretched position.

With 88 cm inseam i highly doubt you get a problem with the seat tube. Even i with my short legs get a 150 mm dropper fit in a XL frame. Just measure your current distance from BB zu seat rails and do some easy calculation.

I've ridden my current bike with a 50 or 55mm stem and liked it alot.

Leaning towards a Large FM936. I think it will be long enough and also due to the shorter wheelbase for better/easier control on technical climbs.

Really afraid the XL will feel too long regarding reach and wheelbase.

Will do some calculations as you suggest.

theirishrider

« Reply #1287 on: December 31, 2020, 05:11:18 AM »
I've ridden my current bike with a 50 or 55mm stem and liked it alot.

Leaning towards a Large FM936. I think it will be long enough and also due to the shorter wheelbase for better/easier control on technical climbs.

Really afraid the XL will feel too long regarding reach and wheelbase.

Will do some calculations as you suggest.
You're 1cm taller than me, I really cannot see how an XL will be better than L. The L really long and you get 0 benefits from even longer wheelbase with the XL, only negatives since i think the fit will be better on L.  You are not sacrificing comfort, you are sacrificing performance. If you were 195-200, L would be sacrificing comfort for performance. That's my thoughts. :)  So i measure my inseam it's 86cm at 185cm and I love the Large, feels like a perfect size.

wfl3

« Reply #1288 on: December 31, 2020, 08:04:42 AM »

Just to show how subjective this all is, I'm 177cm on a medium and kinda thinking the length of a large would have been better.  If the seat tube would have been a bit shorter I probably would have gone that way.

I'm on a medium with a 70mm stem, running a 120mm fork as well.  This bike does have a long wheelbase and requires more lean in tighter turns, but can get through them really fast if you commit.  ;-) 

victorike

« Reply #1289 on: December 31, 2020, 08:22:16 AM »
You're 1cm taller than me, I really cannot see how an XL will be better than L. The L really long and you get 0 benefits from even longer wheelbase with the XL, only negatives since i think the fit will be better on L.  You are not sacrificing comfort, you are sacrificing performance. If you were 195-200, L would be sacrificing comfort for performance. That's my thoughts. :)  So i measure my inseam it's 86cm at 185cm and I love the Large, feels like a perfect size.

I think size L will suit you, I measure 181 cm high and 88.5 cm inseam,my frame size L and stem of 40mm.