Author Topic: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts  (Read 375539 times)

wfl3

Re: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts
« Reply #1665 on: May 04, 2021, 03:04:28 PM »
InsaneDawe,

Top tube length is no more a critical data in geo charts anymore.
In this frame the effective TT will be shorter then on a progressive, older geometry bike because of the much steeper seat tube angle.

The size L frame have a 490mm ST length which is ridiculously long for your height, especially if you really want to build a down country bike with a usable dropped length and enjoy the downhills.

With size M you'll get 6cm longer front center and 50mm longer wheelbase then your basic hardtail have. This mean more stability.

This is a XC bike, not a hard core trail/ enduro bike, you don't need 500mm reach. 475 will feel also really long after the cannondale.

The fact remains he'll need a longer stem with that shorter TT for a comfortable cockpit length (ask me how I know) and the longer stem will slow down the steering that will already be slow with a 66 degree HT.

This bike really needs a shorter stem to wake up IMO if running a 120mm fork.  If I was ordering again I'd get a large as well - actually I'd get the large FM909 because it has a shorter ST so I'd have better dropper options. 

Steeper STs and slacker HTs mean shorter cockpits if the TT isn't lengthened.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 03:24:25 PM by wfl3 »

InsaneDawe

« Reply #1666 on: May 04, 2021, 11:18:19 PM »
Do you mean 660mm from BB to the top of the saddle? Because if that's the case, it'll be tough to fit even just a 100mm dropper in there. So I'm guessing you mean 660mm to the saddle clamp?

Yes, 660mm to the saddle clamp.

@InsaneDawe I run my seat at 735 mm and I just barely fit my 150mm PRO dropper. So at 660 mm I would say you probably won't fit a 150 dropper.

Which frame size do you have? Carbonda says 230 seat post clearance in a large. Somewhere in the 100+ pages in this thread, I saw someone mention they were able to fix the full stem of a 150mm dropper.

The OneUp V2 has an short stack height compared to other droppers. When doing the math, 490mm ST - 230mm Stem Clearance = 260mm to the dropper bottom + 420mm Total Dropper Length(@150mm) = 680ish. I can shim down 20mm of travel and I'm also betting I could squeeze the cable actuator bellow the pivot as one person reported, putting the collar at the top of the seat tube. I'll report back.

InsaneDawe,

Top tube length is no more a critical data in geo charts anymore.
In this frame the effective TT will be shorter then on a progressive, older geometry bike because of the much steeper seat tube angle.

The size L frame have a 490mm ST length which is ridiculously long for your height, especially if you really want to build a down country bike with a usable dropped length and enjoy the downhills.

With size M you'll get 6cm longer front center and 50mm longer wheelbase then your basic hardtail have. This mean more stability.

This is a XC bike, not a hard core trail/ enduro bike, you don't need 500mm reach. 475 will feel also really long after the cannondale.

What wfl3 said. I currently have a 70mm stem and my seat 20mm back on my Trail two to increase my "real top tube length" and it feels "okay" for pedaling. Moving my seat back to 0mm and running a 40mm stem will give me back, 50mm or more.

Reach is a vertical measurement for when I'm up and out of the seat and that 490mm reach will give "confidence".

Again, further research into similar NS, Vitus etc. and other comparable bikes, that large is about right for my size. Keep in mind that this frame is known for it's "progressive" geometry, more of a comfy marathon XC bike rather than a traditional all out sprint XC bike.

Yes the ST length is just plain wrong, it could be a shorter than it is. FM909 would probably be a better fit but again, I have a 31.6mm dropper.

Julian

« Reply #1667 on: May 05, 2021, 01:13:24 AM »

The OneUp V2 has an short stack height compared to other droppers. When doing the math, 490mm ST - 230mm Stem Clearance = 260mm to the dropper bottom + 420mm Total Dropper Length(@150mm) = 680ish.

Math looks good to me. A 130 dropper would be fine in there. But considering your indended use, 130mm isn't a lot...

What wfl3 said. I currently have a 70mm stem and my seat 20mm back on my Trail two to increase my "real top tube length" and it feels "okay" for pedaling. Moving my seat back to 0mm and running a 40mm stem will give me back, 50mm or more.

Reach is a vertical measurement for when I'm up and out of the seat and that 490mm reach will give "confidence".

Again, further research into similar NS, Vitus etc. and other comparable bikes, that large is about right for my size. Keep in mind that this frame is known for it's "progressive" geometry, more of a comfy marathon XC bike rather than a traditional all out sprint XC bike.

What the manufacturer says and what you want are two different things. All that NS/Vitus etc. are doing is basically saying that everyone should size up. The geometry itself isn't very radical, just the suggested frame size. Look at the Specialized Epic Evo - easily the benchmark of progressive down country - which is identical in size L compared to the FM936's size M. Of course there are bikes like the Transition Spur, which is more trail than down country. Geometry wise you could try and replicate that with the FM936, but suspension wise it won't come close to the Spur's 120mm rear.

That being said, if you want to run a 40mm stem, go large. Considering the difference in stack height between your Cannondale and the FM936, the actual reach difference is even lower. So if you want to run the handlebars at the same height, the FM936 will have only 30mm more reach in size M and 60mm more reach in size L. Personally I would run a lower handlebar with no rise, making the size M feel a lot longer. But putting it higher fits your idea of a chilled marathon bike.

One more thing: Some people seem to neglect that a riser bar effectively increases your stem length. Every 10mm of rise give you about 4mm of stem length, since you're moving the bar up vertically, away from the steerer tube. That's why probably no one runs a 40mm stem and a flat bar, that would just be too nervous. On the other hand, a longer stem and a riser bar will feel very old school. So either get a short stem and riser, or longer stem and flat bar. What you choose is determined by the desired cockpit height, the effective stem length is the same.

InsaneDawe

« Reply #1668 on: May 05, 2021, 08:22:56 AM »
I may have caused some confusion, my current Trail in a M feels small, twitchy and etc. I've tried a lot of hacks to stretch it. My reason for buying a Chiner frame is that I like the hardware on the Trail but want a larger frame.

TedS123

« Reply #1669 on: May 05, 2021, 09:59:54 AM »
I'm the same height and went with the large, 120 mm fork, 45 mm stem, and 10 mm riser bar, 780 mm wide.  It still feels a bit short compared to my 6 year old large hardtail.

I was also concerned about dropper length, and went with the OneUp 150 mm. I did the calculations and figured I might have to run the collar at the seat clamp or reduce the travel.  But as it turns out, I've been able to raise it ~1 - 1.5" above the seat clamp.

So I think there's a good case for going for the large with the OneUp 150 dropper.

Ted

adroitrider

« Reply #1670 on: May 05, 2021, 12:12:09 PM »
I’m 6’2” and got the XL. Run the OneUp at 190mm. Seat slams to the ST as low as it can go.

I think you know best based on your current setup. I wanted a higher handlebar position w a nearly slammed shorter stem. I couldn’t imagine riding a L with headset spacers and a longer stem.

urbs

« Reply #1671 on: May 06, 2021, 02:19:11 PM »
I’m 6’2” and got the XL. Run the OneUp at 190mm. Seat slams to the ST as low as it can go.

I think you know best based on your current setup. I wanted a higher handlebar position w a nearly slammed shorter stem. I couldn’t imagine riding a L with headset spacers and a longer stem.

This is just the info I was looking for. To confirm, you are saying a 210mm Oneup dropper (that you have shimmed down to 190mm) will fit in the seat tube of an XL frame? If so that is great.

adroitrider

« Reply #1672 on: May 06, 2021, 03:57:50 PM »
Yes. My center of BB to center of seat rail is 76.5cm.

urbs

« Reply #1673 on: May 07, 2021, 02:27:38 AM »
Yes. My center of BB to center of seat rail is 76.5cm.

Perfect, thanks. I'm a little taller than you and may even be able to run it at 200mm. The worry I had was weather there was enough space in the seat tube for the shaft of the post, as the 210 post is quite a bit longer than the 180. But if it fits for you then it should work for me too! Now I just need to find one in stock that can ship to Norway...
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 02:44:34 AM by urbs »

adroitrider

« Reply #1674 on: May 07, 2021, 12:18:27 PM »
Perfect, thanks. I'm a little taller than you and may even be able to run it at 200mm. The worry I had was weather there was enough space in the seat tube for the shaft of the post, as the 210 post is quite a bit longer than the 180. But if it fits for you then it should work for me too! Now I just need to find one in stock that can ship to Norway...

I’ve got a buddy in Kongsberg that use to import Strider bikes. He might know somebody.

urbs

« Reply #1675 on: May 08, 2021, 12:35:37 PM »
I'll send a PM

kinwild

« Reply #1676 on: May 19, 2021, 08:58:29 AM »
Hi there,

Anyone in Europe have a shock with remote lockout that may fit this beauty?, I can´t find any, not even talking about choosing between 165x40 or 165x42.5 for me both are fine, also any brand.

d3xophen

« Reply #1677 on: May 26, 2021, 09:19:25 AM »
My medium SL was right at 1855g w/o shock & shock hardware (no axle or seat clamp either).

Just a bit under 2100 grams with shock mounted up.

ှIs your frame with paint or without paint ?

wfl3

« Reply #1678 on: May 26, 2021, 11:42:09 AM »
ှIs your frame with paint or without paint ?

No paint

P3Killa

« Reply #1679 on: May 27, 2021, 03:05:06 AM »
Hi Guys,

another size question...

I'm 178cm with a 87cm inseam.

Curent I ride a Transition Smuggler in Large size with a 35mm stem.

I ordered the 935 in size L but not sure a M fits me better?

Will ride it with a SID 120mm.