Author Topic: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts  (Read 372393 times)

adroitrider

Re: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts
« Reply #1755 on: June 24, 2021, 08:13:44 AM »
0 psi?

0psi did the trick.

I’m now thinking the compression tune on my SidLuxe isn’t ideal for this frame. I looked up a few frames that use the SidLuxe in a similar position and I’m running a higher PSI to get the sag I prefer.

I’ll likely send the shock out for a tune this winter.

carbonazza

« Reply #1756 on: June 25, 2021, 04:39:37 AM »
...I’ll likely send the shock out for a tune this winter.

Just curious. Does that void any warranty ?

Jotegr

« Reply #1757 on: June 25, 2021, 08:51:27 AM »
Just curious. Does that void any warranty ?

It shouldn't. You're allowed to maintain your stuff.

You especially won't have problems if it is tuned by a certified rockshox warranty center. The ones that handle it near me can for the most part do warranty work as well. No voiding of the warranty from them!

Bobodaclown

« Reply #1758 on: July 09, 2021, 05:18:33 AM »
Not sure if anyone ever answered this, but I just checked my stock axle, 180mm M12*P1.5*L16.5. Yours has a few mm longer thread, but shouldn't be an issue.

Thank you, appreciate you sharing!
Still waiting on parts,so the frame is now just laying there quietly in the corner:(

Bobodaclown

« Reply #1759 on: July 12, 2021, 02:00:23 PM »

Updated as now solved, I tried a spare derailleur hanger and it screw in freely now.

Bit of an odd one has anyone had any issues when installing the rear wheel axle?
The axle I bought is to the specification in the above post, so it does fit.
However when inserting the axle it does not screw in easily at all to the derailleur hanger. If you loosen the derailleur hanger you can tighten the axle up, but then if you tighten the hanger down it is difficult to loosen the axle at all, or re insert.

Taking the hanger off the axle tightens smoothly and easily into the hanger no issue.

It is as though the hanger does not sit flat in the drop out pushing the hanger out a little. Not sure whether to sand the drop out slightly.

Anyone had the same experience?
Probably just me.
Cheers
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 12:26:14 PM by Bobodaclown »

carbonazza

« Reply #1760 on: July 14, 2021, 01:19:02 AM »
...Anyone had the same experience?

Yes, I did with the original hanger.
I noticed it was pivoting around the screw, moving the bolt a little down, and preventing the axle to be screwed in.

InsaneDawe

« Reply #1761 on: July 15, 2021, 09:12:29 PM »
Placed my order May 5th, frame was shipped June 15th, arrived at my door in Chicago, June 24th via DHL Express. Wing said they had BSA-L-Normal Weight frames in stock and that the painting took longer than expected.

Obviously I spent my entire weekend building up

Initial Impressions
-Cable guides are directional, one is larger for brake hose and one is smaller for cables
-Rear Linkage is carbon
-Bolt hardware is cheap feeling
-No Internal cable Guides
-Cutout at the bottom in the BSA 73 bottom bracket is a bit small
-No large removeable section at bottom of down tube
-Size feels good for me at 5'11"
-Oneup V2 150 can be slammed to the collar
-Some Pivots were dry, some werent
-Paint was chipping near some pivot surface
-Optional headset has good bearings but feels cheap and doesn't have seals, would probably work fine
-Cables can be routed under the shot but may cause brake bleeding problems
-Can't go full lock on Deluxe RT3 because lever hits the frame on lock position
-One chip at the front of the frame

Ride Impressions
-Reach is a little more aggressive than my trail but nothing uncomfortable
-Head angle is slacker than I was used to
-51mm Offset fork wasn't too quick steering
-Hasn't cracked on me yet (have taken it off some kickers, drops, some tech, maybe a crash or two)
-Have hit my cranks a couple times (175mm)
-No noticeable pedal bob, maybe after a long ride when the shock was hot
-Seat height feels fine
-Dropped seat is just right

Still messing around with my suspension settings. Shock is from a Giant Anthem and it feels good. Took a bunch of video during assembly and plan to do a build thread and a LoveMTB style video series.

carbonazza

« Reply #1762 on: July 16, 2021, 11:53:28 AM »
I did participate to the Grand Rallye VTT Transverdon in France with my FM-936.
80 riders, 5 days, moving camping, 16 descents, 6000m climbing and 8000 descending.

Here's my FM-936 put on steroid for the occasion, 36mm rims, Magic Mary in front and Hans Dampf in the back( wanted Maxxis like everyone else, but didn't find in stock ).
203mm/180mm disc rotors.

The bike and myself survived!
It was clearly out of our league, but I improved day by day.
I lost one pivot screw, a zip kept the pivot in place. I should have lock threaded them all...
Broke my GPS mount at the first crash( crashed 3x ).
And bent the hanger twice and put it back straight.

So if someone doubt over the solidity of this frame, don't !

I'm afraid I will need a FM1166 for the future  ::)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 02:23:30 PM by carbonazza »

darius72

« Reply #1763 on: July 16, 2021, 11:08:27 PM »
Carbonazza,
nice to hear that you were riding 6000 m uphill; so these bikes are good also to climb. I am waiting for haideli AM831, FM1166 was another option on my list. At the end I opted for the new AM831.
Do you lean towards FM1166 just for the positive experience you had before with Carbonda?

carbonazza

« Reply #1764 on: July 20, 2021, 10:17:59 AM »
Carbonazza,
nice to hear that you were riding 6000 m uphill; so these bikes are good also to climb. I am waiting for haideli AM831, FM1166 was another option on my list. At the end I opted for the new AM831.
Do you lean towards FM1166 just for the positive experience you had before with Carbonda?
It is my exclusive frame shop yes.
They just stopped hardtails, so I'm trying to find a good seller/builder.
ligthbicycle is where I get the wheels.
Loyalty and volume build mutual trust and make communication easier with an even better service than usual.

adroitrider

« Reply #1765 on: July 20, 2021, 03:47:21 PM »
Updated as now solved, I tried a spare derailleur hanger and it screw in freely now.

Bit of an odd one has anyone had any issues when installing the rear wheel axle?
The axle I bought is to the specification in the above post, so it does fit.
However when inserting the axle it does not screw in easily at all to the derailleur hanger. If you loosen the derailleur hanger you can tighten the axle up, but then if you tighten the hanger down it is difficult to loosen the axle at all, or re insert.

Taking the hanger off the axle tightens smoothly and easily into the hanger no issue.

It is as though the hanger does not sit flat in the drop out pushing the hanger out a little. Not sure whether to sand the drop out slightly.

Anyone had the same experience?
Probably just me.
Cheers

Gotta have one of these:

adroitrider

« Reply #1766 on: July 20, 2021, 03:55:47 PM »

Ride Impressions
-
-Hasn't cracked on me yet (have taken it off some kickers, drops, some tech, maybe a crash or two)
-Have hit my cranks a couple times (175mm)
-No noticeable pedal bob, maybe after a long ride when the shock was hot

Are you riding at Palos? I’ve put in 600 miles there so far. Pedal strikes are def common and I wish I’d gone with a shorter crank.

I cracked my seat stay on F Zone on that hunk of concrete that is on the b line of one of those drops.

InsaneDawe

« Reply #1767 on: July 21, 2021, 08:07:44 AM »
Are you riding at Palos? I’ve put in 600 miles there so far. Pedal strikes are def common and I wish I’d gone with a shorter crank.

I cracked my seat stay on F Zone on that hunk of concrete that is on the b line of one of those drops.

Yeah Palos is my home track, I do all the "standard" trails, features and jumps often during the week as Cross Training. I've only ventured to the XX & XX Ext. a few times since building the bike.

The carryover 175mm cranks were less of an issue on my Cann. Trail(BB height of 308mm). Maybe I should upgrade to some sweet Raceface alloys or should I get a power meter? Decisions Decisions.

Not sure which trail is F Zone.

areid280

« Reply #1768 on: July 21, 2021, 03:18:13 PM »
Hey guys, after reading plenty of you positive posts about this being a great XC/marathong racer I bit the bullet and ordered a frame

just took delivery of a superlight FM936 (XL matt black)
It weighs in at around 2.15kg which I was a bit surprised at(though did have all spacers other than rear axel in place), has anyone else weighed their carbon frame?

My other question is fitment of the headset bearings,

https://imgur.com/a/PpyGDTy

That is as flush as I can get it, and is not a tight fitment at all i.e. will fall out under its own weight - not like any pressfit bearing I have used before!

ALso this is the first time I have every ridden or built a FS bike, is there a standard bushing i need for the rear shock, I bought a rockshox monarch RT3 - 38.5x165

appreciate any response

Cheers

InsaneDawe

« Reply #1769 on: July 22, 2021, 07:49:36 AM »
just took delivery of a superlight FM936 (XL matt black)
It weighs in at around 2.15kg which I was a bit surprised at(though did have all spacers other than rear axel in place), has anyone else weighed their carbon frame?

My standard with a Deluxe RT3 weighed in at 2.584kG.

ALso this is the first time I have every ridden or built a FS bike, is there a standard bushing i need for the rear shock, I bought a rockshox monarch RT3 - 38.5x165

You should really read all of this thread to find details but I'll make it easy. You need a 22.2mm x 8mm for the top eyelet. Doesn't matter the brand.