Author Topic: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts  (Read 375564 times)

kisuke3

Re: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts
« Reply #1785 on: August 05, 2021, 09:15:51 PM »
Did you see the picture a few post above?
It is another option. The ZTTO double bottle mount.
Light and inexpensive.
It keeps well the bottles, even on rough tracks.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32975689555.html

Thank you carbonazza-san,
I already have this part, but I have some problems at field.
It is very cheap and reliable.

When I lower the saddle on the dropper seat post, my knees interfere with the bottle (this depends on the person), and the bottle gets dirty from the dirt rolling up from the ground.

The problem with LYNE is that it's expensive (LOL)

Mrfrank

« Reply #1786 on: August 06, 2021, 02:01:43 AM »
I also ordered a frame this week! The Netherlands will soon have another carbonda.
It's a normal XL in the color RAL5026 metallic with a BSA bracket. And the best part is it is in stock :)!

carbonazza

« Reply #1787 on: August 06, 2021, 03:06:49 AM »
When I lower the saddle on the dropper seat post, my knees interfere with the bottle (this depends on the person), and the bottle gets dirty from the dirt rolling up from the ground.

The problem with LYNE is that it's expensive (LOL)
Yeah, I noticed some interference when I pedal seated with the dropper lowered, but it doesn't happen often.
The LYNE seems from the picture to accommodate only small bottles.
I wanted to try 3D printing some similar mount as LYNE(someone tried it here if I remember well), but dropped it when I saw the ZTTO option.

Darrenr18

« Reply #1788 on: August 09, 2021, 04:41:40 PM »
Long time lurker, first time poster. I’ve been looking at the NS synonym for a while, than stumbled across the Vitus. Now I’m here. I’m trying decide which 936 to get. What’s the difference between the super light and normal frame, besides the weight difference. I’m 6’1 205 lbs. I ride pretty aggressively but ant something to crush some climbs and cover lots of ground. I have a couple other trail and enduro bikes and I’m in love with the steeper seat angles (I have a long inseam) and that’s what drew me to the 936 or possibly the 909. Any and all info would be awesome!! Thanks in advance

RobertRinAustin

« Reply #1789 on: August 09, 2021, 09:35:29 PM »
I'm the same size on an SL. No issues over 6 months of riding but I don't beat on it. It's a great marathon type bike that climbs most everything better than my old hardtail.

JaLove

« Reply #1790 on: August 13, 2021, 11:11:23 PM »
Not sure if I can include this here or not! I was looking to buy an FM936 but then this barely used Vitus came up on eBay at a great price.  I added some of my carbon parts (ElitaOne post, Romin Pro, Deda bar, Uno stem) plus set up my Conti tyres (2.4 X Cross RaceSport & 2.2 Race King Protection) tubeless.  Have since removed the lock outs as I never used them.  My old XTR pedals blew up on a test ride so awaiting a Zeray set and also a Fovno Ghost.  Even as it stands the bike is 11.1kg for a size small which I think is pretty great for a £1,500 buy!

It rides amazingly.  Replacing a hardtail Boardman Pro 29er it is much more confident but still playful efficient feeling.  I thought it might be like a tank with a longer wheelbase (even moving from a medium Boardman to a small FM936 it is longer), but this is not the case.

I even think the paint looks pretty good!

Nice bike!  I've been lurking for a while now absorbing all of this great information.   Can I ask how tall you are? I'm trying to decide whether I should buy a medium or small.

JaLove

« Reply #1791 on: August 14, 2021, 10:30:09 AM »
Does anybody have pictured a full and level side view of a small FM936 completed build.  Looking through all of these pages it's been hard to find a good shot of what a small one of these bikes really looks like compared to a medium.  I am 168cm and it seems I should be on a small according to the NS website size chart.

I already have almost all of my parts and will be running full X01 AXS--adding the seatpost once I determine the correct drop.  I just need to make the decision of which size frame it's a purchase and then pick my stem to fit.  Hoping for a light clean build with zero clutter cockpit and simplicity of maintenance.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 02:09:15 AM by JaLove »

dai1983

« Reply #1792 on: August 15, 2021, 02:03:38 AM »
Also been lurking a while and was considering ordering a frame to build up using parts off my hardtail. Then the Vitus came up for sale and did the maths meaning it made more sense to buy the Vitus.

Only ridden around the block but impressed and feels like an enduro bike position. The large I ordered was 12.7kg as it arrived with tubes and the included padals. I then fitted my Hunt xc race rims and tubeless tyres taking that down to 12.03kg. Could change the cockpit, cassette, crank and fit a race day damper for less weight. Sort of wish I went with the xt build over the slx/deore I have now but some bits will get upgraded for lighter versions as they wear out.

Need a light dropper post, change the lockout to a TwistLoc and have fantasies about a sid 35 ultimate but think it'd invalidate the Vitus warranty.

JaLove

« Reply #1793 on: August 15, 2021, 11:21:06 PM »
Also been lurking a while and was considering ordering a frame to build up using parts off my hardtail. Then the Vitus came up for sale and did the maths meaning it made more sense to buy the Vitus.

Only ridden around the block but impressed and feels like an enduro bike position. The large I ordered was 12.7kg as it arrived with tubes and the included padals. I then fitted my Hunt xc race rims and tubeless tyres taking that down to 12.03kg. Could change the cockpit, cassette, crank and fit a race day damper for less weight. Sort of wish I went with the xt build over the slx/deore I have now but some bits will get upgraded for lighter versions as they wear out.

Need a light dropper post, change the lockout to a TwistLoc and have fantasies about a sid 35 ultimate but think it'd invalidate the Vitus warranty.

At least these bikes are available right now.  I was originally looking for a Specialized Epic Evo or Transition Spur--but nobody had any bikes or frames in stock.  Now I actually feel fortunate that I missed out on those and came across this long thread. This is a much better deal for a short travel trail bike with this type of geometry.  At this point, having the choice to actually get my hands on a full bike before 2022, or to be able to purchase the frame so inexpensively and customize it to my taste is a fantastic turn of events.

JaLove

« Reply #1794 on: August 15, 2021, 11:26:52 PM »
Received a response from Wing who gave me the option of a BSA73 bottom bracket.  I requested a quote for the normal, small frame with the BSA73 and custom paint.  It looks like paint will take an extra 2 to 4 weeks.

Shinso

« Reply #1795 on: August 16, 2021, 12:41:14 AM »
Nice bike!  I've been lurking for a while now absorbing all of this great information.   Can I ask how tall you are? I'm trying to decide whether I should buy a medium or small.
I am 5’9”. It seemed odd going for a size small but after spending some time on GeometryGeeks it was clear that the reach seated was still going to be a nose longer on a small than my old medium Boardman.
I have done a few more miles on the bike. I don’t regret taking off the Oneloc at all. I do wish it was the XT version, but this was all that was available and no doubt I’ll upgrade in due course.
The frame is free from rattles, well finished and has taken some time to having the front wheel waaaay out forward, even on the size small. I like it a lot and wouldn’t want to go back to a hardtail.

JaLove

« Reply #1796 on: August 16, 2021, 07:03:41 AM »
I am 5’9”. It seemed odd going for a size small but after spending some time on GeometryGeeks it was clear that the reach seated was still going to be a nose longer on a small than my old medium Boardman.
I have done a few more miles on the bike. I don’t regret taking off the Oneloc at all. I do wish it was the XT version, but this was all that was available and no doubt I’ll upgrade in due course.
The frame is free from rattles, well finished and has taken some time to having the front wheel waaaay out forward, even on the size small. I like it a lot and wouldn’t want to go back to a hardtail.

Thanks for the response.  That makes me feel like I made the correct choice and picking the small frame at my height and standover.  I actually made my purchase this morning.  I already have almost all of my parts so I'm playing the waiting game for now.  I can't wait to see how the paint job turns out then how it rides on the trail once it's built up.

strafer

« Reply #1797 on: August 18, 2021, 12:43:56 AM »
Hi, guys!

Can anybody say me what kind of bearings are installed in this frame? In drawings from Carbonda i see only 6901 at lower pivot. Are other pivots just slide bushings?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 01:04:09 AM by strafer »

wfl3

« Reply #1798 on: August 18, 2021, 05:32:56 AM »

I believe these are the frame bearings

4x 6900VRS rocker pivots
2x 6901VRS main/lower pivot
2x 6801 in trunnion mount
22.2mm x 8mm upper shock bushing

strafer

« Reply #1799 on: August 18, 2021, 07:35:51 AM »
What the bearings are pressed into: metal inserts or bare carbon?