Author Topic: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts  (Read 375338 times)

ilyamaksimov

Re: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts
« Reply #1980 on: March 01, 2022, 08:40:09 AM »
That is really helpful, thanks. If the real stroke on this one is 38mm, do you think you could have got away with a 165x45 one? Also, do you have any idea if the 165x40 one you have can be extended later to 165x42.5 (like other shocks) or if something about the nude set up means that is not possible? I like the idea of the nude shock but don't want to give up too much travel for it.

Also, let us know how you get one once you get to ride the bike with the new shock!

nude is a deluxe with a redesigned head that has a second airbag attached to it. The course is changed as on other shock absorbers with plastic spacers (red spacer in the photo). Using 45mm would probably be too much, on my frame the 42.5mm chainstay fox was grabbing the frame.

I rode three times. I confirm, works on a linear schedule, very sensitive at the beginning, more grip, softer through hard / sharp bumps, softer and more confident landing from jumps.

traction mode when driving works exactly as it should - reduces buildup and continues to handle bumps

the only thing that discouraged me was the whistle of the sealing ring of the damper cover on the rod, the shock absorber sings))

At the moment I am completely satisfied with the update. Got exactly what I wanted

urbs

« Reply #1981 on: March 01, 2022, 03:08:07 PM »
nude is a deluxe with a redesigned head that has a second airbag attached to it. The course is changed as on other shock absorbers with plastic spacers (red spacer in the photo). Using 45mm would probably be too much, on my frame the 42.5mm chainstay fox was grabbing the frame.

I rode three times. I confirm, works on a linear schedule, very sensitive at the beginning, more grip, softer through hard / sharp bumps, softer and more confident landing from jumps.

traction mode when driving works exactly as it should - reduces buildup and continues to handle bumps

the only thing that discouraged me was the whistle of the sealing ring of the damper cover on the rod, the shock absorber sings))

At the moment I am completely satisfied with the update. Got exactly what I wanted

Thanks again for your super helpful feedback. So does that mean that the 40mm and 45mm are the same shock just with different spacers inside (as is the case for most other shocks)? And, if so, when you opened yours what size were the spacers? What I'm trying to work out is if there is a way of taking a 2.5mm spacer out to get back to the 42.5 I have with the DPS (I'm not having any issues with the rear triangle hitting the frame with 42.5).

Zomb1e

« Reply #1982 on: March 01, 2022, 04:21:35 PM »
@urbs, as I know (but of course I may be wrong), absolutely all 165mm shocks with trunnion mount have maximum stroke of 45mm. All shorter strokes are obtained by using spacers. Some manufacturers produce shocks with only 45 and 40mm strokes (5mm spacer), others add 42.5mm (2.5mm spacer) and sometimes 37.5mm (7.5mm spacer).

ilyamaksimov

« Reply #1983 on: March 02, 2022, 01:14:55 AM »
Thanks again for your super helpful feedback. So does that mean that the 40mm and 45mm are the same shock just with different spacers inside (as is the case for most other shocks)? And, if so, when you opened yours what size were the spacers? What I'm trying to work out is if there is a way of taking a 2.5mm spacer out to get back to the 42.5 I have with the DPS (I'm not having any issues with the rear triangle hitting the frame with 42.5).

Yes, this is the same shock, but with the gradation of the sega drawn at different heights and the maximum stroke.

I did not measure the height, I think 5 mm. since the maximum stroke of this shock absorber is 45mm. That is, yes, you can adjust the shock absorber travel in the range 45> 0 by changing the height of the spacer to limit travel

urbs

« Reply #1984 on: March 02, 2022, 01:59:11 AM »
Thanks both of you! I was aware that other 165 shocks are all the same. I just wasn't sure if the proprietary nude changed something that effected that or what size the spacers were. Thanks for all the info!

I think I will go down the same route as you ilyamaksimov. I too would like a little more sensitivity at the beginning. I'm also intrigued by the reduced travel traction mode.

ilyamaksimov

« Reply #1985 on: March 02, 2022, 03:03:42 AM »
Thanks both of you! I was aware that other 165 shocks are all the same. I just wasn't sure if the proprietary nude changed something that effected that or what size the spacers were. Thanks for all the info!

I think I will go down the same route as you ilyamaksimov. I too would like a little more sensitivity at the beginning. I'm also intrigued by the reduced travel traction mode.

By the way, I drilled a hole for the cable))

(Adam didn't ask for the front triangle to be cut when the new one was shipped under warranty last year, so I have room to experiment)

dan_cx

« Reply #1986 on: March 04, 2022, 10:58:45 AM »
Frame ordered & Wing confirmed receipt of payment. Any guesses on how long it will take for it to arrive in California? I know the world is currently a mess, so there's no expectation of it being here next week, by any means. And I'm sidelined with a fractured heel for a few more months, so it's not like I can ride anyway (Note: walking on the beach is dangerous).

SRAM Neutral Race Support Mechanic

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #1987 on: March 04, 2022, 02:25:22 PM »
Frame ordered & Wing confirmed receipt of payment. Any guesses on how long it will take for it to arrive in California? I know the world is currently a mess, so there's no expectation of it being here next week, by any means. And I'm sidelined with a fractured heel for a few more months, so it's not like I can ride anyway (Note: walking on the beach is dangerous).

I think I ordered at a time when there was a short interruption in supply of the 1002, just before New Year’s, so you may get yours a little sooner but it took about a month from when I sent the payment to when I received my frame. About 10 days from when it shipped, and 3 days from when the domestic tracking number became active.

dan_cx

« Reply #1988 on: March 04, 2022, 02:29:16 PM »
I think I ordered at a time when there was a short interruption in supply of the 1002, just before New Year’s, so you may get yours a little sooner but it took about a month from when I sent the payment to when I received my frame. About 10 days from when it shipped, and 3 days from when the domestic tracking number became active.

Yeah, I'm honestly thinking somewhere in the 30-60 day range, all things considered. The quote says "7-14 days" for shipping, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

gd3fit

« Reply #1989 on: March 08, 2022, 07:43:01 PM »
Colt, I expect it's fine!

Frame shipped today! I wanted the same colour (glitter purple) as Zilcho but covering the whole frame. something was lost in translation so they've painted it half black and half glitter as zilcho!  @Zilcho - I'm really sorry mate!

I don't mind plus they'd already shipped it, so I'll not tell them anything, and not factor it into any feedback I post online. I'll put some skins on top of the black area so it won't look the same and Zilchos!

I started this build thinking I'd put a Rockshox gold 35, Shimano SLX, cheap alu rims but the budget has crept and now I'm going for SID 120mm and XT with BTLOS carbon 29mm internal rims. Thought to myself, if I'm going to race on it, might at wel buy the parts once rather than twice when I realise I need a bit more from the bike.

Hi there. What color code is this? I'm thinking of something like this color, maybe RAL5000 "violet blue" with glitter. I like this look and couldn't find what code this or zilcho's color codes are. May be ordering a FM 909 or 936. Thanks for any help

riding_truckee

« Reply #1990 on: March 09, 2022, 01:02:21 PM »

I order an fm936 (SL, M) from Carbonda 3 weeks ago.
It was shipped after 3 days and arrived 4 days later at my doorstep in Berkeley.

dan_cx

« Reply #1991 on: March 09, 2022, 01:06:33 PM »
I order an fm936 (SL, M) from Carbonda 3 weeks ago.
It was shipped after 3 days and arrived 4 days later at my doorstep in Berkeley.
Wait... WHAT?!!! ;)  Was this with the regular shipping, or did you get a faster option? Wing did reconfirm my shipping address (in SF) on Monday, so hopefully I'll be seeing a tracking number by the end of the week.

riding_truckee

« Reply #1992 on: March 10, 2022, 12:02:07 AM »
Wait... WHAT?!!! ;)  Was this with the regular shipping, or did you get a faster option? Wing did reconfirm my shipping address (in SF) on Monday, so hopefully I'll be seeing a tracking number by the end of the week.

Air shipping ($195).
If there is a cheaper option, I was not aware of it.

BTW, I built this immediately and I've already ridden it 4 times .. and it's awesome :)
My only tip is to re-tighten the linkage bolts, as others suggested: mine were all loose.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 12:10:21 AM by riding_truckee »

dan_cx

« Reply #1993 on: March 10, 2022, 12:28:26 AM »
Air shipping ($195).
If there is a cheaper option, I was not aware of it.

BTW, I built this immediately and I've already ridden it 4 times .. and it's awesome :)
My only tip is to re-tighten the linkage bolts, as others suggested: mine were all loose.
I got quoted $190 shipping/single frame, so I’m guessing that’s probably the same method of transit that yours got. Still haven’t gotten tracking info yet.

Not too worried about the hardware being loose, as I’m pulling it all apart & sending the frame out for paint. I’ll measure all the hardware & replace what I can with stainless or Ti.

theirishrider

« Reply #1994 on: March 10, 2022, 04:22:06 AM »
Hi there. What color code is this? I'm thinking of something like this color, maybe RAL5000 "violet blue" with glitter. I like this look and couldn't find what code this or zilcho's color codes are. May be ordering a FM 909 or 936. Thanks for any help
I just sent them a picture of Zilcho's frame and they did it exactly the same! :) still love the colour and the pain quality is great.