Author Topic: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts  (Read 375579 times)

Zomb1e

Re: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts
« Reply #2085 on: August 09, 2022, 06:18:27 AM »
Seal by itself may be not bad at all but sdg did a genious move - they made a moving part (shaft?) not slick like stanchions of your fork for example but ribbed.
Ribbed shaft is totally bad (and it is just their way of lowering production costs). On my brand x seal is the weakest part - it simply allow the dirt to get inside. As a result I'm rebuilding my dropper on a regular basis, but it lost almost a half of its anodized coating (on the shaft),  especially on the back side. My old ks lev intergra, which is now living on my gf's bike, have never had such problems and still looks like new.
Probably you have to try one up, a lot of people like their droppers.

Kk5551

« Reply #2086 on: August 09, 2022, 10:16:18 AM »
@PrincessZeeeeta -- She's a beauty!  Thanks for the review info.  What stem and bars did you go with?  They look great and sounds like they are performing well.  I just ordered fm936s for my sons and would like to mirror your setup!  Thanks!!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 10:35:39 AM by Kk5551 »

carbonazza

« Reply #2087 on: August 09, 2022, 01:02:07 PM »
@PrincessZeeeeta -- She's a beauty!  Thanks for the review info.  What stem and bars did you go with?  They look great and sounds like they are performing well.  I just ordered fm936s for my sons and would like to mirror your setup!  Thanks!!
Since we are at it, what is this great looking rear mudguard ?

PrincessZeeeeta

« Reply #2088 on: August 10, 2022, 04:20:40 AM »
What stem and bars did you go with?  They look great and sounds like they are performing well.  I just ordered fm936s for my sons and would like to mirror your setup!  Thanks!!

It's just a single one that I found locally not in 800mm width. Raceface Next 35 with Turbine R (it's just looks good for me). Pretty expensive but after a couple of crashes it's still alive so can recommend it. By the way it has a backsweep of 8 degrees so it may not be comfortable for everyone.

Since we are at it, what is this great looking rear mudguard ?

Sks Mudrocker. Ligher and softer than mudhugger so rattling occures often.

adroitrider

« Reply #2089 on: August 13, 2022, 03:37:58 PM »
Shifting issues. Transmission or frame/hanger?

Had my FM936 built up for a few months now, 500miles and enjoyed it for the most part aside from one, rather major grumble.

Since day one I've not been able to get the gears shifting correctly.

Transmission is 12speed XT (cassette, mech, shifter, chain, optislick inner cable that I then upgraded to the polymer, SP41 outer cable).Yes, cable routed correctly. It's always a little out and as 12speed sprockets and chains are so narrow a little out is almost intolerable. It alters during the ride, i.e 1-2-3 good a start of ride but then not good by the end (even if an easy ride so haven't hit it on a rock, etc). It alters depending on the suspension setting (have a nude shock with 3 settings). It alters during suspension compression. It's never quite right.

I wonder if the clutch on the mech is partially to blame for a number of reasons. Firstly, I know the clutch affects shifting, increasing friction at the shifter and think it alters, ever so slightly where the mech rests after a shift, which if true means that because of suspension movement and chain growth the clutch is constantly 'working' and so minutely affecting where the mech sits and given how minute adjustments affect shifting it must be having an impact.

But also wonder if the clutch is actually causing the hanger to bend - as I say when the suspension is compressing causing chain growth it's effectively pulling at the clutch, and so mech, and so mech hanger all the time - it must be having an impact - which is kind of confirmed that when I check the hanger alignment with the tool it's always ever so slight out - is it plausible? Maybe the hangers on these fm936 are a little soft?

I've serviced the clutch, and backed off the tension as much as I dare and it is better but I just dont like the fact I feel like I'm having to compromise on a nice bike!

Like the idea of 1x12 but just seems to sensitive or is it the hanger/frame? - bring back 2 x 10 I say  ;)

Any thoughts appreciated.

Derailleur hanger - you know this is the culprit when the shifting degrades in only the middle cogs. If it shifts fine at the ends of cassette, but skips or clunks or is reluctant to shift in the middle three cogs, then it’s likely your hanger.

If it happens all the time, in every gear, and is triggered by the suspension then it’s likely not the hanger. Start by disconnecting the shift cable and setting your limit with the cable disconnected. Go ride the street. There shouldn’t be any clunks or anything no matter what you try to do.

Then, screw the barrel adjust all the way in, back into two full turns. Connect the derailleur cable. Increase tension or decrease tension until you get a smooth shift from smallest cog to second smallest. Listen to the sound. Play with the tension until the noise from the chain is reduced.

Then, work up the cassette and check your upper limit.

If you still have problems then there is something wrong with your cable routing or derailleur or cassette.

sguiom

« Reply #2090 on: August 21, 2022, 06:38:59 AM »
Hi, I have bought a fm936 size L, normal lay up and feel like there is a lack of stiffness in the front triangle : it wiggles significantly more than my other bikes when pushing left right with the bar. I have not read any complain about this anywhere. I have changed the fork for a 35 mm, but still have a strange feeling in the turns that came from this lowish stiffness I think. I have a on one scandal definitively stiffer.

Am I the only one feeling this ? I start thinking that my frame has an issue.

Medico

« Reply #2091 on: August 21, 2022, 10:07:06 AM »
Hi, I have bought a fm936 size L, normal lay up and feel like there is a lack of stiffness in the front triangle : it wiggles significantly more than my other bikes when pushing left right with the bar. I have not read any complain about this anywhere. I have changed the fork for a 35 mm, but still have a strange feeling in the turns that came from this lowish stiffness I think. I have a on one scandal definitively stiffer.

The rear can be a bit flexible, but the front? Don't know how this could happen.

carbonazza

« Reply #2092 on: August 21, 2022, 03:54:17 PM »
...it wiggles significantly ...

Did you check if your headset is tight ?
Can you spot where the wiggles comes from?

A triangle of carbon tubes like this, can't really flex, unless cracked.

RDY

« Reply #2093 on: August 21, 2022, 04:18:10 PM »
Just a heads up for those interested.  In my conversations with Wing, trying to decide between the FM1001 and FM909, for a DC type bike, he mentioned that the FM936 may be offered to end users with official provision of 115-120mm rear travel - (N.B. they already do this for brands).

I was really hoping for a 909DC rather than 936DC, as the dirt is so fine and so much of it here, that it's like riding powdery snow on some trails.  I've decided high horizontal rear shock mount is definitely the way to go.

Medico

« Reply #2094 on: August 21, 2022, 11:57:20 PM »
Just a heads up for those interes

I was really hoping for a 909DC rather than 936DC, as the dirt is so fine and so much of it here, that it's like riding powdery snow on some trails.  I've decided high horizontal rear shock mount is definitely the way to go.

InMy opinion it doesn't really matter where the shock is. Dirt will find its way. But after riding the 936 for 2 years now I can say the shock won't be dirty, but there will be a pile up of dirt below it, in the space for the trunnion mount.
The onely reason to have a vertical shock is space for 2 bottles...thats it!

My2c

Good lich with the 909.

ilyamaksimov

« Reply #2095 on: August 22, 2022, 02:27:37 AM »

the feeling that the frame is bending can come from using a stem longer than 50mm. From using a 51mm offset fork. Due to the 66-degree head angle with a long stem and large fork offset, the bike becomes over-steered, giving the feeling of a flex frame. The front triangle is very rigid. The rear may have some suppleness, but you don't feel it when driving.

ASt

« Reply #2096 on: August 22, 2022, 07:14:13 AM »
Hello community,
I am planning to buy a 936 or 909 frame. As is the case, I can't decide between sizes M and L. Is there anyone here who lives not far from Cologne in Germany? I would like to try an M or L bike for a moment.

Thanks very much!

helmat

« Reply #2097 on: August 23, 2022, 02:38:41 AM »
Just a heads up for those interested.  In my conversations with Wing, trying to decide between the FM1001 and FM909, for a DC type bike, he mentioned that the FM936 may be offered to end users with official provision of 115-120mm rear travel - (N.B. they already do this for brands).

That sounds very interesting, rear travel was more or less the only reason I didn't go for the 936 in the first place. If you put a 130mm fork on the bike together with a dedicated 120mm rear end its geometry is almost Rocky Mountain Element like and that would be a big reason to reconsider ...

Swolie74

« Reply #2098 on: August 23, 2022, 07:38:39 AM »
That sounds very interesting, rear travel was more or less the only reason I didn't go for the 936 in the first place. If you put a 130mm fork on the bike together with a dedicated 120mm rear end its geometry is almost Rocky Mountain Element like and that would be a big reason to reconsider ...

But the element can hold two water bottles in the front triangle  :'(

oringso

« Reply #2099 on: August 24, 2022, 06:58:17 AM »
the feeling that the frame is bending can come from using a stem longer than 50mm. From using a 51mm offset fork. Due to the 66-degree head angle with a long stem and large fork offset, the bike becomes over-steered, giving the feeling of a flex frame. The front triangle is very rigid. The rear may have some suppleness, but you don't feel it when driving.

I have the same issue with my normal frame. Also with 51mm fork and 80mm stem.