Author Topic: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts  (Read 375597 times)

Medico

Re: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts
« Reply #2130 on: September 27, 2022, 04:06:34 PM »
Se my post above. If you are running the 40mm stroke the equation could be 115/40 or 100/40.

This frame needs a High Compression tune.

I don't think it "needs" a high compression tune. The shock you're using is designed for xc racing in mind not using it for light enduro racing or heavy people. So a higher compression tune will only help a bit, just like adding more spacers or putting more air in it. you first have to look what your issue is...not enough midstroke support: more air or more spacers(keep the same pressure); bottoming out the same options... If those things wont help Indon't think changing tune will help...an other shock like a deluxe will likely help more=bigger shock, better support.

Last thing...sag is a method for getting your shock in the right direction, not the holy grail. Setting it to high or to low as intended by the manufacturer won't do any good either. If your bb is to low first think of shorter cranks ;)

And using it with less sag as advised by the manufacturer is

Medico

« Reply #2131 on: September 27, 2022, 04:09:47 PM »
I don't think it "needs" a high compression tune. The shock you're using is designed for xc racing in mind not using it for light enduro racing or heavy people. So a higher compression tune will only help a bit, just like adding more spacers or putting more air in it. you first have to look what your issue is...not enough midstroke support: more air or more spacers(keep the same pressure); bottoming out the same options... If those things wont help with bottoming out I don't think changing tune will. an other shock like a deluxe will likely help more=bigger shock, better support.

Last thing...sag is a method for getting your shock in the right direction, not the holy grail. Setting it to high or to low as intended by the manufacturer won't do any good either. If your bb is to low first think of shorter cranks ;)

My 2c. Like to hear other thoughts about it.

adroitrider

« Reply #2132 on: September 27, 2022, 05:40:45 PM »
Agree, definitely doesn’t need. But, for the symptoms described:
1. High pressure needed to achieve an XC style sag (20-25%)
2. High pressure prevents full travel

I have been riding  the shock at 35% sag. Not an issue. If I am racing I’d consider maximum pressure.

Zomb1e

« Reply #2133 on: September 27, 2022, 06:11:43 PM »
1. High pressure needed to achieve an XC style sag (20-25%)
It seems that you, like nearly the whole xc crowd, have a huge misunderstanding of correct sag values. 20% of sag means that in theoretical case of totally linear spring (which is of course not so for an air shock) and zero friction between seals you need 5G to achieve full travel. And in real case this force should be even higher. Are you going to do some road gaps or maybe are you going to take some lines on Rampage for getting such G-outs?

adroitrider

« Reply #2134 on: September 27, 2022, 09:33:08 PM »
It seems that you, like nearly the whole xc crowd, have a huge misunderstanding of correct sag values. 20% of sag means that in theoretical case of totally linear spring (which is of course not so for an air shock) and zero friction between seals you need 5G to achieve full travel. And in real case this force should be even higher. Are you going to do some road gaps or maybe are you going to take some lines on Rampage for getting such G-outs?

I hear what you are saying and have come to accept 35% sag with my current setup. But, my point with the high compression tune is that I could run lower pressure while having 25% sag. In theory I’m hoping this would give me more active suspension with a better pedal platform.

The funny thing, my buddy with a Hightower won’t run his suspension at 35%. He’s convinced the manufacturer optimized the bike for 25% sag.

Regarding terrain, there are a few spots at my local where too much speed can result in missing the landing zone. I haven’t bottomed out yet…

I have the tune kit. I will install and report back.

carbonazza

« Reply #2135 on: September 27, 2022, 10:03:38 PM »
...I will be doing this service over the winter.
I look forward for the details :)

Medico

« Reply #2136 on: September 28, 2022, 12:14:23 AM »

Totally agree! Why 25%? Most of the rearshocks are designed for more sag giving it a better small bump compliance. Lower sag will cause a more progressive shock with possible to high rebound and not using the travel like it should!

Best thing to do is contacting  shock tuner, they can help you and give you the best answer (and likely a answer like this ;))

Zomb1e

« Reply #2137 on: September 28, 2022, 04:21:58 AM »
In theory I’m hoping this would give me more active suspension with a better pedal platform.
You have to pick one (or use lockout/climb/whatever switch). Active suspension means using linear (velocity-dependant) damper. Pedal platform obviously means using platform-style damper (very high LSC and then nearly constant, velocity-independant damping force when platform opens).

adroitrider

« Reply #2138 on: September 28, 2022, 09:50:45 AM »
You have to pick one (or use lockout/climb/whatever switch). Active suspension means using linear (velocity-dependant) damper. Pedal platform obviously means using platform-style damper (very high LSC and then nearly constant, velocity-independant damping force when platform opens).

I’m in denial. I can’t get the shock eyelet with the lockout. There also are very few 42.5 stroke shocks with a lockout.

So, before I go find a shock or try the eyelet swap I’m going to change the tune.

But yes, a lockout is ideal.

Mrbobbob

« Reply #2139 on: October 03, 2022, 02:29:07 AM »
Regarding the sag; For me, I need the SID luxe stuffed with volume spacers to get 35% sag at full pressure, which also results in never using the bottom quarter or so of the travel. My hope is that a bigger shock without volume spacers will use more of the travel. The desire to lift the sag into to 25-30% range is due to the extremely low bottom bracket; when tired in an XC race then minimising the need to manage pedal strikes over roots is desirable! If the sag is a bit less, then the bottom bracket is marginally higher. It probably doesn't make much difference, but having low sag makes you mad at those points!

Lukesjr

« Reply #2140 on: October 11, 2022, 07:04:43 AM »
will the DVO TOPAZ gen 3 fit this frame?

Swolie74

« Reply #2141 on: October 11, 2022, 08:14:06 AM »
Regarding the sag; For me, I need the SID luxe stuffed with volume spacers to get 35% sag at full pressure, which also results in never using the bottom quarter or so of the travel. My hope is that a bigger shock without volume spacers will use more of the travel. The desire to lift the sag into to 25-30% range is due to the extremely low bottom bracket; when tired in an XC race then minimising the need to manage pedal strikes over roots is desirable! If the sag is a bit less, then the bottom bracket is marginally higher. It probably doesn't make much difference, but having low sag makes you mad at those points!

How much do you weigh? I was led to believe more volume means you would need more pressure to maintain the same sag, thats why I can't use the Manitou Mara Pro without buying the smaller can.

Lukesjr

« Reply #2142 on: October 17, 2022, 01:40:38 PM »
what is the headset size, is41 or is42?

Lukesjr

« Reply #2143 on: October 17, 2022, 09:15:09 PM »
Never mind, found it

volmul

« Reply #2144 on: October 18, 2022, 06:58:38 PM »
First post: just made a deposit on a 936 with 120mm - available in 3-4months. Shock stroke is 42.5, same as NS Synonym with 120mm. EDIT: Got an Email from Katie with a correction. it will take a 165x45 damper. What are my options? I found some RS and Fox options. Also a DVO Topaz - fit? Cane Creek DBAir - fit? Manitou Mara seems to be 40 or 45 only. Are there any options where I can adjust stroke easily myself?
Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom :)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 11:10:27 AM by volmul »