Author Topic: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts  (Read 375535 times)

drews256

Re: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts
« Reply #2295 on: March 03, 2023, 01:56:06 PM »
I've decided I want to pick up an FM936. Seems like I can contact Wing via Alibaba and make it happen that way. Are there other ways to get ahold of this bike in the US? Other manufacturers that people are having good experiences with?

carbonazza

« Reply #2296 on: March 07, 2023, 07:10:45 PM »
I've decided I want to pick up an FM936. Seems like I can contact Wing via Alibaba and make it happen that way. Are there other ways to get ahold of this bike in the US? Other manufacturers that people are having good experiences with?

You should contact wing by email at wing (at) carbonda com this is the easiest way
To choose options like color, bb, shipping option, etc.

jonnybearback

« Reply #2297 on: March 07, 2023, 07:42:10 PM »
Adam was quick to respond to a first email. He's gone radio silent now that I'm ready to part with my cash though ?!?
Tried Wing.. bounceback failure :(

volan

« Reply #2298 on: March 08, 2023, 11:52:23 AM »
I was in contact with Wing whole time, almost 50 mails back and forth. My frame is just few hundreds miles from me  ;D

All the parts are ready to go. Went with R232 165x45 shock (120mm linkage), remote for the shock. Fork is gonna be 120mm SID ultimate. Shimano groupset, XT rd, slx cranks, mixed brakes... xr391 rims (cca 1600g wheelset) and KS dropper 125mm. Hoping I'm gonna be around 11.5kg with the build. Don't want to hit 12kg mark.

My current Orbea Alma alloy is 10.35kg without dropper and with SID SL. Gonna transfer most of the stuff from it to FM936, so it means around 400g more for dropper, 200g fork, and rest will be difference in frame weight plus shock and remote. Hoping carbonda wont be more than 500g heavier with shock. It's alloy ht vs carbon fully.

What do you think guys, how much alma 2022. alloy frame weights? Can't find info anywhere.

carbonazza

« Reply #2299 on: March 08, 2023, 03:32:46 PM »
Adam was quick to respond to a first email. He's gone radio silent now that I'm ready to part with my cash though ?!?
Tried Wing.. bounceback failure :(
Sometimes, their email get in the spam.
If you run your own email server today, Google and Microsoft makes your life miserable

volan

« Reply #2300 on: March 10, 2023, 09:32:53 AM »
It's aliveeee!

Frame arrived yesterday. Shiping was very fast, I was so surprised! Here's the detailed build:

fm936 SL size L
SID ult 120
Dt r232 remote
XT/deore brakes
391 rims with ztto/dt hubs
ztto cassette 9-50 ult pro
slx cranks
cheap light pedals
aliex handlebar/stem combo 40mm
recon race 2.35 rear/ pirrelli scorpion 2.4 front (not 2.4 tbh, 2.35 recon race is wider on a same rim)
KS rage-i 125 dropper
shimano dropper lever

Build landed on 11.4kg and I'm satisfied. Will go a bit more weight weenie in the future. Went for a ride and I'm thrilled! The body position is exactly on spot. Size is perfect (185cm). Downhill performance is exceptional. Uphill is really good, not better than my Alma though. I went for shot stem/bar combo and I notice that on steeper uphills the wheel wanders a bit and needs a bit leaning forward to keep it stable. But it's expected since wheelbase is enormous...

forgot about remote... method I linked before from a german forum worked well. The flexible housing is kind of stiff, but it doesn't kink. The system works well and I have to say that I do need that lockout while on flat road. I do notice bobbing while fully open. DT has one middle position on a damper called "ride" and it's perfect for smoth gravel track. That way I can go a bit plusher on sag, making the fully open ride plush as a pillow. There's no sag indicator, I guess it's around 30%, a bit less perhaps.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2023, 09:40:20 AM by volan »

carbonazza

« Reply #2301 on: March 10, 2023, 11:53:25 AM »
It's aliveeee!

aliex handlebar/stem combo 40mm

Nice bike with a nice view !  8)
Do you have the link to the bar/stem combo ?

volan

OldFish

« Reply #2303 on: March 12, 2023, 05:42:17 AM »
A more general question on rear shock choice. In particular, choosing between 2pos and 3pos shock. What are your experiences with your setup, have you tried both options (not necessarily on the same bike) and what led to choosing one way or another (other than lighter 2pos weight).

Looking at most other models, NS synonym, orbea oiz, vitus rapide, bmc fourstroke, etc tend to use 2pos shock,  but scott spark is with 3.

In my case, primary riding conditions will be forrest, sometimes a bit hilly and rooty, but no mountains whatsoever, unless I would go stage racing abroad. Bike would be used for XC, havent decided on 120 or 100 front.

Thank you.

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #2304 on: March 12, 2023, 03:52:27 PM »
Lots of shocks do fine with a 2-position or no lever at all but on the higher end, those tend to have at least a LSC compression dial (example Fox Float X — even the Performance model, which isn’t really any different from the Elite or Factory internally, has a dial stem hidden under the plastic cap on the piggyback that can be used with a 3D printed dial or Fox aftermarket dial though the latter has been “sold out” for a long time, probably to prevent people from buying used shocks to do this mod).

Generally speaking, 3-position is better because it allows for a third option other than Open/Descend or Climb. A well tuned shock ought to spend most of its time in the middle of the LSC range rather than a more on/off setup.

If you don’t do a lot of long intense descents, and get a good tune, this isn’t a huge issue.

Eneen

« Reply #2305 on: March 13, 2023, 03:38:48 AM »
Scott has 3pos, but in the middle pos they both adjust compression and limit travel by about 30% by adjusting positive chamber volume via valve. I think it's possible to install nude shock in both 936 and 909.

Lukesjr

« Reply #2306 on: March 13, 2023, 07:43:17 AM »
A more general question on rear shock choice. In particular, choosing between 2pos and 3pos shock. What are your experiences with your setup, have you tried both options (not necessarily on the same bike) and what led to choosing one way or another (other than lighter 2pos weight).

Looking at most other models, NS synonym, orbea oiz, vitus rapide, bmc fourstroke, etc tend to use 2pos shock,  but scott spark is with 3.

In my case, primary riding conditions will be forrest, sometimes a bit hilly and rooty, but no mountains whatsoever, unless I would go stage racing abroad. Bike would be used for XC, havent decided on 120 or 100 front.

Thank you.

For the 936, 120 up front is very nice.  I may try 130, easy change for a pike.

As far as lockout, for modern shocks you don't need to really use it for most riding.  I think the exception is racing, where you have some gravel road climb that is long or something.  Otherwise a properly tuned modern shock should be ridden open.

I had a fuel 90 back in 2002.  The performance was so bad, that I ended up  riding it super high pressure most of the time because the pedal bob was terrible.  It was so bad that I sold it and started riding hard tails only.  A friend of mine convinced me a few years ago to give full sus another try and that they are so much better now.

I bought a cheap bxt type frame to test it out.  He was 100% right.   It is so much better. I have Fox shock on that and it is just smooth, I never lock it out.  I built up the 936 with a rock shox over xmas this year, just took it out.  Again, awesome, never need to use the lockout.

FYI, my friend is a road cat 1 racer and one of the top amateur mountain bikers in Washington.  He tells me he never uses the lockout, I think he said he used it maybe one race that had a super long gravel climb.

So my point in all this, I think the use of a lockout is not really necessary with modern shocks except for the most elite riders/racers and I think most people use it either for piece of mind or they have an improperly set up/bad shock.

Just my take.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 09:40:40 AM by Lukesjr »

PrincessZeeeeta

« Reply #2307 on: March 17, 2023, 03:56:26 AM »
Any ideas what's going on there? Crash?

carbonazza

« Reply #2308 on: March 17, 2023, 09:17:41 AM »
...Otherwise a properly tuned modern shock should be ridden open...

Are you tuning your shock yourself ?

Lukesjr

« Reply #2309 on: March 17, 2023, 07:04:55 PM »
Are you tuning your shock yourself ?

yes I am.  I have a shockwiz also, and that works pretty well for the LSC, rebound, and tokens.  When you really dive into shock tune it is kind of interesting. 

You start off setting the sag.  Then you ride and play with the LSC and rebound.   Then you can add a token and the hole feel changes.  The shockwiz helps with the LSC and rebound a lot, especially if you can't feel the subtle differences as much, like most of us average riders.