Author Topic: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts  (Read 375530 times)

adroitrider

Re: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts
« Reply #2400 on: June 13, 2023, 04:00:24 PM »
And what exactly is the leverage ratio on the OG FM936? I’m assuming this is the original travel one. I run a L compression tune, it’s very active and mutes a lot of small bumps. I have to run a pretty high PSI though, I think 260 psi on a rockshox Deluxe.

Side question here, if the leverage ratio was more like 2:1, what rockshox tune would be appropriate? I’m trying to understand the benefit of running a medium, or a high compression tune.

Leverage ratio is 100/40, 2.5.

In my email exchange with Trail Labs, they mentioned the high PSI to achieve desired sag is correlated to the frame leverage ratio and shock design. Going 30-40psi over weight is normal, depending on frame.

When it came to the tune, my goal was increased plushness and achieving full stroke on big hits (3-4ft drops, g outs, and mistakes on rocky tech. If I’m racing, I notch up the rebound and pressure a bit.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2023, 04:10:41 PM by adroitrider »

Leganetti

« Reply #2401 on: June 17, 2023, 03:35:44 PM »
Hello all!
throught the internet page the dont reply me querys...
Has someone of you the contact person in Carbonda to contatact to, to order a frame or ask for details?

Thank you!
Miguel

carbonazza

« Reply #2402 on: June 17, 2023, 03:47:10 PM »
You can contact them at sales1@carbonda.com

Cerps

« Reply #2403 on: June 18, 2023, 10:07:35 AM »
But honestly, all my riding buddies pointed out that I should have just bought a new shock so that I had the M Compression tune as a backup.

Also, reading about Nino’s Flight Attendant SID(s) makes feel stupid for dropping money on the 200hr service and tune.

Anyone have a guess on the price of a SIDLuxe w Flight Attendant?

My guess would be $1000.  It's not available to the public yet.  Nino's the only one racing it right now although I read the Trek team has been testing it. 

6speed

« Reply #2404 on: June 18, 2023, 06:15:06 PM »
Yes, Wing shared it with me, along with some other helpful info I requested:

I was interested in seeing how well they preserved some of the original geometry with the 120mm option.  They claim the same HTA and STA, and a 35mm BB sounds low for an XC bike, but still reasonable.  However, the fork axle to crown is 520, which is more like a 110mm fork.  Put a 120mm (or even 130mm) fork on there and the BB drop is going to be even less.  The FM1001 BB drop is only 28mm, which is low for even a trail bike, but I have not seen any complaints yet.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2023, 09:56:27 PM by 6speed »

OldFish

« Reply #2405 on: June 26, 2023, 01:01:49 AM »
Wanted to say thank you to all who contributed to this thread as it was invaluable in the first FS build for me. Have only ridden FM936 few times but it feels night and day against my aluminum HT. It did end up half a kilo heavier than expected, but 11.2kg with pedals, power meter, bottle and garmin mounts for size XL seems competitive weight for 3.8k euro. Very glad to have found this forum. Hope everyone has a great summer on their bikes.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2023, 01:03:38 AM by OldFish »

Liter

« Reply #2406 on: July 06, 2023, 09:41:35 AM »
Can someone explain where I can get the link to turn the FM936 to 120MM? And which shock leght would work?

I have seen a lot of german speaking foruns talking about but the translation had me lost.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 09:59:00 AM by Liter »

acedeuce802

« Reply #2407 on: July 06, 2023, 10:58:12 AM »
Email Carbonda at sales1 @ carbonda dot com

It's meant for a 165x45mms hock

Medico

« Reply #2408 on: July 11, 2023, 03:39:28 PM »
Anyone having issues with the headset? I'm having an iritating sound coming of the front. Canecreak headset is in it, but having some play in the frame at the top, which should be normal considering this type of headsets.
Any ideas to fix it besides a lot of grease(which helps for a couple of xx km)?

Liter

« Reply #2409 on: July 13, 2023, 09:10:00 AM »
Email Carbonda at sales1 @ carbonda dot com

It's meant for a 165x45mms hock

they simply don´t answer

Condorman

« Reply #2410 on: July 13, 2023, 11:30:19 AM »
I've reached out to Carbonda a couple of times over the past several weeks as well.  I'm trying to purchase a couple of extra derailleur hangers to have on hand.....and crickets.  No response from them at all.

Condorman

« Reply #2411 on: July 13, 2023, 01:06:57 PM »
Here's my new ride.  Size large with the 120mm rear link.  I slowly purchased parts over a period of about six months as I saw them pop up on sale or on local classifieds.  The color ended up being a darker blue than I was hoping for, but I've grown to really like it.  It looks black in low light and photos, but up close or in the sun the blue peeks through.  I appreciate everyone's experience and shared knowledge, it really helped me with my build.

I've been riding this for a couple of months now and have been really happy with it.  The bike shop weighed it at around 26 lbs.  Could I have saved a little weight...yep.  I could have gone with a shorter or non-dropper seat post (currently running a 210mm OneUp) .  I could have built up a lighter wheelset, used shorter bars, etc. etc.  My focus with the build was to create a light duty trail bike rather than a XC bike, so I'm happy with how it turned out.  It's a nice compliment to my longer travel trail bike.  The only thing that I plan on updating is the rear suspension.  I purchased a used shock before the 120mm link came out, so I'm currently running a 42.5mm shock.  When I do my next shock tune-up I'll change it out to 45mm.  I also found a 130mm fork with the intention to decrease travel to 120mm, but so far I like it at 130mm and will probably keep it there. 

I'm using a Lyne Components Holy Rail to hold two water bottles.  I can fit a small and large water bottle in the frame; there's just not quite enough clearance for two large water bottles. The Holy Rail has been great, I'd highly recommend it if you're looking to get a couple of bottles on the frame.

All in all, I like my positioning on the bike, it's comfortable for long stretches of climbing in the saddle. It's also pretty quick on the climbs, I've been setting numerous PR's on trails I've ridden for years. I'm not smashing my old times by any means, but I may be a minute or so faster on a 20-minute climb.  Key for me is that I feel like I have more energy in reserve when I get to the top of the climb.  It's also a different feeling on the down than my longer travel bike, where I usually just point and smash.  Coming down on this bike it's more of a dance, trying to avoid the worst of the rocks/roots/etc., but it's light and easy to throw around.  It can handle some rougher stuff, I just have to pay closer attention and take it a little slower.  My times coming down on smoother, flowy trails are actually a little faster than my long travel bike.  On chunky, more technical terrain my long travel bike no question is faster and more plush coming down.  I'm comfortable taking it off jumps or drops of a couple of feet...anything more and I physically wince.  Maybe the frame can handle it, but I'm not comfortable pushing it.

Overall, I'm really happy with the bike. 

davidvaneerd

« Reply #2412 on: July 25, 2023, 03:10:39 PM »
After lurking this page and gathering parts for a while, here's my FM936 120mm, size S in matte RAL 6003 (Olive Green).
With Fox Factory float SC fork and rear shock, Shimano XT groupset and speedsafe wheels (ali-express) it ended up at 12kg.

Really happy with how nimble and reactive it is, however the front end does feel a little nervous (even on straights), despite the fact that the fork is a 44mm offset.
Any recommendations on changing stem length or bar width make the front end more stable? I'm reading conflicting things about stem length online, some sources say a shorter stem makes for quicker handling, some say it delivers more stable steering  ???

Right now I'm running a temporary cockpit I had laying around with handlebar width 69cm and 100mm stem (-17degrees), reach wise this already feels pretty good.

thanks!

Medico

« Reply #2413 on: July 25, 2023, 03:23:04 PM »
After lurking this page and gathering parts for a while, here's my FM936 120mm, size S in matte RAL 6003 (Olive Green).
With Fox Factory float SC fork and rear shock, Shimano XT groupset and speedsafe wheels (ali-express) it ended up at 12kg.

Really happy with how nimble and reactive it is, however the front end does feel a little nervous (even on straights), despite the fact that the fork is a 44mm offset.
Any recommendations on changing stem length or bar width make the front end more stable? I'm reading conflicting things about stem length online, some sources say a shorter stem makes for quicker handling, some say it delivers more stable steering  ???

Right now I'm running a temporary cockpit I had laying around with handlebar width 69cm and 100mm stem (-17degrees), reach wise this already feels pretty good.

thanks!

My thoughts (and everybody who rides a new type, long and slack, bike) would be to ditch the '90 cockpit and buy a new one...shorter and wide. A bar round 74+ cm and a stem between 3.5 and 6cm.

It will need a couple of rides to get used to if you're coming from the middle ages cockpit wise, but will be a lot better in every way.

Good luck.

Hastyz

« Reply #2414 on: July 25, 2023, 07:08:33 PM »
Has anyone been in contact with a Carbonda rep recently? It’s been roughly 30 days since my initial inquiry email with a follow up 3 weeks in and it has been silent on their end.