Author Topic: Fovno Crank sets  (Read 16558 times)

Schumo

Re: Fovno Crank sets
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2021, 04:59:36 PM »
Just had the Fovno crank arm bolt on the non drive side shear whilst riding  - did anyone find the actual size or a good link for a replacement bolt please - otherwise its a new chainset i need ?

Seems to be the crank bolts are made of cheese !

thanks

M14 bolt
https://www.bike-discount.de/de/race-face-kurbelschraube-mit-abzieher-fuer-next-sl/atlas-x-type?

M15 bolt
https://www.bike24.de/p1133177.html

Afair just the older Ghost cranks have M15x1 bolts, all others including newer Ghost cranks have M14x1 bolts. So check before ordering.

StiffWeenies

« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2022, 03:25:11 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with Prowheel? Their RPX crankset is included as a substitute for 105 in Pardus’ Super Sport complete bike so I feel that they have some level of credibility to them being an OEM supplier and all.

The 4-arm Shimano style chainring bolt covers on their RPT-721-TT-1 crankset caught my eye because these sorts of details are usually not paid attention to at this end of the market. Their DMA-821-TT crankset is also pretty interesting being a Cannondale Hollowgram SiSL2 lookalike. Curiously enough, their most high end DMA-CR100A-TT model doesn't seem to be listed for sale anywhere.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 08:37:20 AM by StiffWeenies »

StiffWeenies

« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2022, 07:30:45 AM »
Another day, another new crankset! The FC-PR2-A1 from SENICX is the lightest one in their lineup. 29mm alloy axle and CNC chainrings. The FC-PR2-A2 variant has lower spec chainrings and you can tell them apart at the SRAM 3 bolt interface area. A1 has a circular intent there while the A2 is completely flat. Choose the FC-PR3-A1 or FC-PR3-A2 if you want a 24mm steel axle.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 12:57:28 AM by StiffWeenies »

00Garza

« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2022, 11:26:29 AM »
He's strictly road bikes, but Trace Velo has been a handy channel when it comes to understanding aliexpress items. I found this vid on axle failure insightful. Apparently alu is not the ideal material for axles.

StiffWeenies

« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2022, 12:00:02 PM »
He's strictly road bikes, but Trace Velo has been a handy channel when it comes to understanding aliexpress items. I found this vid on axle failure insightful. Apparently alu is not the ideal material for axles.

I think that failure only holds true for 24mm alloy axles. SRAM DUB has a 29mm alloy axle and is proven on the pro peloton. Of course, go for 24mm steel axles if you want to be extra safe.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 12:26:11 PM by StiffWeenies »

Zomb1e

« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2022, 02:47:16 AM »
Finally we've got Fovno Phantom Pro Crankset (http://www.fovno.com/product/cranksets/phantom-pro-crankset%ef%bc%8829mm-spindle%ef%bc%89/) on Aliexpress:
https://aliexpress.ru/item/1005003003956669.html

It's DUB compatible and probably wouldn't have problems with alu bolts (as almost all other Fovno's cranks with 24mm spindle)

StiffWeenies

« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2022, 01:38:02 PM »
I think one of the best cranksets has been hiding in plain sight for the longest time

It's not advertised but the XCadey road crankset can be ordered sans power meter. 24mm Titanium spindle (so no BB86 w/ 29mm or 30mm issues), 4 arm spider (unsure if the 5 arm can be ordered this way) and likely doesn't suffer from flex issues like the Magene.

The only other Ti spindle crankset I can think of are the eeWings which are 30mm. I wonder if a 24mm Ti spindle will have the same issues as one made from alloy? There's also the Miranda X-MOD which does use a 24mm Ti spindle but there's no information on how it holds up.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 01:33:23 PM by StiffWeenies »

kbike

« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2022, 03:39:27 PM »
The bmx guys beat up their titanium cranks. They were having failures with the two piece bonding and teeth shearing holding the crank arm to the axles. They were trying to get costs lower by not welding the ti arms to the axles.

I honestly am shocked we don't hear road/MTB guys shearing cranks with aluminum. I have the highest possible cranks to fail and so far they're doing fine.

StiffWeenies

« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2022, 01:55:40 PM »
new Magene QED crankset
details: improved stiffness, 7075 alloy, hollow arms, DUB axle, 1 piece chainrings
available in chainring (with or sans PM) and PM spider versions

teaser of the new Elilee XXE X320 crankset, very competitive weight vs competition
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 03:33:16 PM by StiffWeenies »

cramy

« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2022, 12:07:13 AM »
I think one of the best cranksets has been hiding in plain sight for the longest time

It's not advertised but the XCadey road crankset can be ordered sans power meter. 24mm Titanium spindle (so no BB86 w/ 29mm or 30mm issues), 4 arm spider (unsure if the 5 arm can be ordered this way) and likely doesn't suffer from flex issues like the Magene.

The only other Ti spindle crankset I can think of are the eeWings which are 30mm. I wonder if a 24mm Ti spindle will have the same issues as one made from alloy? There's also the Miranda X-MOD which does use a 24mm Ti spindle but there's no information on how it holds up.

Hello, you should order directly on xcadey website?

StiffWeenies

« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2022, 04:27:05 AM »
Hello, you should order directly on xcadey website?

In China you buy the chainrings and crank arms (sans PM spider) separately under a Spare Parts listing on Tmall/Taobao. I'm not sure how it works for buyers elsewhere.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 01:29:28 PM by StiffWeenies »

St0mpB0x

« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2022, 05:51:34 PM »
Those Xcadey cranks and power meter do look quite nice and come in my quirky short size. Quite a bit cheaper on Aliexpress vs Direct though. Are any possible issues better handled direct or through a reseller on Ali?

What alloy vs Ti issues are you worried about?

StiffWeenies

« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2022, 12:46:37 AM »
Those Xcadey cranks and power meter do look quite nice and come in my quirky short size. Quite a bit cheaper on Aliexpress vs Direct though. Are any possible issues better handled direct or through a reseller on Ali?

What alloy vs Ti issues are you worried about?

There have been some instances for 24mm alloy axles shearing off

I don't buy from Ali so I can't help you there

cramy

« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2022, 02:20:07 AM »
There have been some instances for 24mm alloy axles shearing off

I don't buy from Ali so I can't help you there

do you have a reseller on taobao?

StiffWeenies

« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2022, 02:49:32 AM »
do you have a reseller on taobao?

XCadey has official e-commerce presence in China. I don’t think it’s worth buying through an agent though