Author Topic: Stumpjumper clone  (Read 47349 times)

naeTech

Re: Stumpjumper clone
« Reply #195 on: May 29, 2022, 05:36:40 AM »
Steel (he is magnetized)

I break 2 pics maid of aluminum. It seemd that i ride about 20km with braked top bolt :) - no problem.
Made new from chromoly steel. 4.5mm aluminom rod can not counterforce all strikes. In later frames specialized go to 8mm aluminum (such as on my old 2012 camber).

Good steel not easy to cut (have a lot of time at manual lathe)? More easy - buy good strength M6x1 bolt length 40mm and make only 5..6mm cone shim...
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 12:01:54 AM by naeTech »

Guyzer73

« Reply #196 on: June 22, 2022, 11:06:05 AM »
I've had the clone for a while now and ultimately felt that the 150mm travel was too much of a good thing...

So after scratching the hell out of it due to my errors during transport I got it repainted and decided to go full "Down Country" on it.

The forks are now 120mm SID Ultimate with a Slack R -1.5°, A SIDeluxe Ultimate damper and the Specialized ST Damper extension to allow for the 190x42.5 damper.

With various other Race Face and SRAM components weight is down to a very reasonable 11kg, running Newmen Carbon rims and 2.3 tyres from Conti.

Head Angle is approx 65.5°, effective seat tube angle I still need to calculate.

Love the handling of the bike and the 120mm front and back is more than enough for my riding.

What do you think? Sacrilege or ???

Cheers

Guy

« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 11:16:31 AM by Guyzer73 »

naeTech

« Reply #197 on: June 23, 2022, 02:09:55 AM »
I also think that for everyday use downcountry setup is more fun.
But i simple install volume and travel spacer in 210x55 shock to make XC style curvature.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 02:24:21 AM by naeTech »

Guyzer73

« Reply #198 on: August 25, 2022, 05:04:45 PM »
Hey all, quick question. Would it be safe to install 2 rivnuts into the top tube to mount a bike lock mount? Wood be same as a water bottle holder.

Cheers

Guy

naeTech

« Reply #199 on: August 25, 2022, 11:36:01 PM »
I think that no problem with this.

Jotegr

« Reply #200 on: August 26, 2022, 08:05:31 AM »
Not safe. Water bottle mounts have more carbon and are reinforced in the area. Top tube is one of the weaker parts of the frame.

Guyzer73

« Reply #201 on: August 27, 2022, 06:47:03 AM »
That's what I was thinking... Plan B then. Mount folding lock on bottle mount and use a rucksack with drinking bladder.

Cheers

TheRealCFiddy

« Reply #202 on: August 27, 2022, 06:52:07 PM »
Hello,
I built up this bike back in like February or March. It has been super sweet, but the threaded insert for the bolt on the main pivot bushing pulled out of the frame. I looked at it and I seen that there is now a crack

I reached out to airwolf I will see if they get me a new front triangle.

Thanks

naeTech

« Reply #203 on: August 29, 2022, 12:28:06 AM »
Be careful with new triangle... check that m6 bolt have 120 degree champfer.

Lenoch

« Reply #204 on: January 10, 2023, 04:03:43 PM »
Quick question-how hard can you ride frame like that?

CB

« Reply #205 on: January 20, 2023, 01:36:45 AM »
In the beginning of the thread someone posted about allstarbicycles.com selling clones.
Anyone know if they are reputable at all? Or another dealer that sells epic evo/stumpy clones perhaps?
Regards

ftajiri

« Reply #206 on: February 02, 2023, 08:38:33 AM »
hi! someone using the frame in hardcore mode?  how are going on?

Thomashv

« Reply #207 on: August 26, 2023, 03:23:29 PM »
Hi all,

I wanted to share my story on the Airwolf Stumpjumper clone.

https://airwolfcarbonbike.com/product/yfm018-2022-am-carbon-mtb-frame-29-full-suspension-frames-stumpjumper-boost-148mm-enduro-rear-travel142mm-racing-mountain-bike-frameset/

I ordered my frame back in via Airwolf in May. I ordered the Specialized OEM parts: chainstay guard, shock top bolt, flip chip and the down tube protector.

When receiving the frame The down tube protector was wasted as the holes for mounting is was not drilled and the top bolt needed 4-5 mm removed to fit. Rest fitted in - flip chip needed some brute force to fit (I did not resort to removing material from chip or shock fork).

Second check was to check bearings and bolts. As already elaborated by others the tolerancesn bolts is in the bin. Bearings is fitted on axles with locktite as there is almost 0,2mm play on all bolts. Bearings is just poor quality - all bolts and bearings was binned and OEM bolt and bearing set was bought.

Further more the the seatclamp was replaced with a bolt-type as the one delivered with the frame is crap.
I put two rides on the bike - 1 XC ride and one where the frame was stressed a little - a couple of 1 m step downs at speed and railing some berms at high speeds and 5-6 small jumps 2-3 meters with ok landings.
The result was that after 3,5 hrs of riding the front Cracked. The crack started at the main pivot on the drive side extending 30mm upwards.

I reach out to Airwolf and I was promised a replacement, but I have zero confidence I the frame, so I will probably get rid of it once the replacement part arrive.

Post thoughts: The rear axel, derailleur hanger and headset should also have be replaced as the stuff is junk/ questionable quality.

If you are looking for a Chinese carbon frame I would recommend that you buy a frame from a company with in-house design-capability with actual knowledge about engineering and matrix design. These “look alike” frames is not worth the materials they are made from and will not stand to be used as the original design intended.
If you are looking for a curb-cruiser they will probably be just fine.

I am planning to cut the cracked fron and have a look at how the junker was built.

If you have questions feel free to PM me.

naeTech

« Reply #208 on: September 04, 2023, 05:00:24 AM »
Where we can see pictures with cracked frames, sad faces and blood?!

BHC1BCN

« Reply #209 on: September 04, 2023, 04:12:46 PM »
Hi all,

I wanted to share my story on the Airwolf Stumpjumper clone.

https://airwolfcarbonbike.com/product/yfm018-2022-am-carbon-mtb-frame-29-full-suspension-frames-stumpjumper-boost-148mm-enduro-rear-travel142mm-racing-mountain-bike-frameset/

I ordered my frame back in via Airwolf in May. I ordered the Specialized OEM parts: chainstay guard, shock top bolt, flip chip and the down tube protector.

When receiving the frame The down tube protector was wasted as the holes for mounting is was not drilled and the top bolt needed 4-5 mm removed to fit. Rest fitted in - flip chip needed some brute force to fit (I did not resort to removing material from chip or shock fork).

Second check was to check bearings and bolts. As already elaborated by others the tolerancesn bolts is in the bin. Bearings is fitted on axles with locktite as there is almost 0,2mm play on all bolts. Bearings is just poor quality - all bolts and bearings was binned and OEM bolt and bearing set was bought.

Further more the the seatclamp was replaced with a bolt-type as the one delivered with the frame is crap.
I put two rides on the bike - 1 XC ride and one where the frame was stressed a little - a couple of 1 m step downs at speed and railing some berms at high speeds and 5-6 small jumps 2-3 meters with ok landings.
The result was that after 3,5 hrs of riding the front Cracked. The crack started at the main pivot on the drive side extending 30mm upwards.

I reach out to Airwolf and I was promised a replacement, but I have zero confidence I the frame, so I will probably get rid of it once the replacement part arrive.

Post thoughts: The rear axel, derailleur hanger and headset should also have be replaced as the stuff is junk/ questionable quality.

If you are looking for a Chinese carbon frame I would recommend that you buy a frame from a company with in-house design-capability with actual knowledge about engineering and matrix design. These “look alike” frames is not worth the materials they are made from and will not stand to be used as the original design intended.
If you are looking for a curb-cruiser they will probably be just fine.

I am planning to cut the cracked fron and have a look at how the junker was built.

If you have questions feel free to PM me.

Send it to Hambini in the UK. He'll give it a good look over and an honest opinion everyone can see if he posts it to youtube.