Author Topic: Carbonda FM909  (Read 121242 times)

multig

Re: Carbonda FM909
« Reply #450 on: August 17, 2022, 06:27:54 AM »
Did you know that not regular bearings are installed on the frame? Not only are they of the Max type, they are also with a flange. And you definitely won't be able to buy them at the nearest store.

RDY

« Reply #451 on: August 17, 2022, 06:53:23 AM »
Did you know that not regular bearings are installed on the frame? Not only are they of the Max type, they are also with a flange. And you definitely won't be able to buy them at the nearest store.

I don't believe this has been reported before.  Can others confirm?

carbonazza

« Reply #452 on: August 17, 2022, 11:10:36 AM »
That is annoying, I was just about to order one.
They probably have a reason to do that, I hope it is a good one.

multig

« Reply #453 on: August 18, 2022, 06:25:13 AM »
I could disassemble the frame again, like a few days ago (for full maintenance), but I'm too lazy to do it for one photo.
I can give you the information that I added to my notes for further purchase of spare parts:
Lower pivot - F6901 VRS MAX - 2 bearings
Other pivots - F6801 VRD MAX - 8 bearings
The view of Fxxxx is

Also you can find F(flange)xxxxE(extended inner race), but it is not our type.

Pedaldancer

« Reply #454 on: August 18, 2022, 12:01:05 PM »
I could disassemble the frame again, like a few days ago (for full maintenance), but I'm too lazy to do it for one photo.
I can give you the information that I added to my notes for further purchase of spare parts:
Lower pivot - F6901 VRS MAX - 2 bearings
Other pivots - F6801 VRD MAX - 8 bearings
The view of Fxxxx is

Also you can find F(flange)xxxxE(extended inner race), but it is not our type.

Hi there,  as far as I understood "2vrs max" means that there is no cage inside of the bearing, only metal spheres, which makes them much stronger against force.

So if the usual F6901 2RS has the same geometry, one could use that as spare? I didn't look on the bearing type I have to admit. So I can't confirm whether the geometry is the same or not.

smoothmoose

« Reply #455 on: August 18, 2022, 12:11:01 PM »
I just received an FM909 frame. I was deciding between the FM936 and FM909. For a similar performing frame, the FM909 was lighter. Identical geometry between the two frames. And I think the horizontal shock linkage in a Horst Link is often a more progressive leverage ratio than the vertical shock linkage. It probably depends on whether you prefer a slightly progressive, or a slightly linear/ regressive leverage ratio at the bottom of the stroke. Then there is the look of the bike to factor in. To me they were about the same as far as eye appeal.
Hey, I thought it saw it somewhere before, but are the suspension and leverage curves posted somewhere for the FM909 vs. the FM936? 

Swolie74

« Reply #456 on: August 18, 2022, 04:57:32 PM »
Hey, I thought it saw it somewhere before, but are the suspension and leverage curves posted somewhere for the FM909 vs. the FM936?

http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,3106.msg32791.html#msg32791

multig

« Reply #457 on: August 19, 2022, 06:53:46 AM »
Hi there,  as far as I understood "2vrs max" means that there is no cage inside of the bearing, only metal spheres, which makes them much stronger against force.
Max - exactly. 2 vrs is a type of seals.
So if the usual F6901 2RS has the same geometry, one could use that as spare? I didn't look on the bearing type I have to admit. So I can't confirm whether the geometry is the same or not.
The measurements is the same.
May be we can use not flanged bearings. But the main question is whether they will fit correctly into the frame seats and whether they will not be overtightened during installation.

Pedaldancer

« Reply #458 on: August 22, 2022, 07:30:57 AM »
Max - exactly. 2 vrs is a type of seals.The measurements is the same.
May be we can use not flanged bearings. But the main question is whether they will fit correctly into the frame seats and whether they will not be overtightened during installation.

Well. If the outer geometry is the same then at least there are spares, although not as strong against forces... i wouldn't change to not flanged bearings. Just to be on the safe side.

RDY

« Reply #459 on: August 25, 2022, 01:26:30 PM »
Frame should be on its way to me soon.  Am I right in thinking that I don't need to order any mounting hardware or bolt for the shock?  I.E. frame comes with most of the stuff, and the following that comes with the Manitou Mara should cover the rest?

Eyelet Hardware: 2-pc AL through 37.9mm, 3-pc S.S. at 38mm and wider

« Reply #460 on: August 29, 2022, 04:21:54 AM »
I'm about to need a second bike and was going for another 936.
I look forward for his reply, or maybe I  should go with a 909.

I have both frames. I think that the 936 have better looks: The downtube is prettier when it is a straight line. 936 has better entries in the frame for cables (screw on lids).
The Fm 909 is just slightly lighter than the 936 std-model.
909 ha better placing of the rear suspension (easier to reach lever).
In some way I like the feeling in 936 better when riding.

multig

« Reply #461 on: August 29, 2022, 08:27:42 AM »
Am I right in thinking that I don't need to order any mounting hardware or bolt for the shock?  I.E. frame comes with most of the stuff, and the following that comes with the Manitou Mara should cover the rest?
All bolts are included. You need 1 piece of mounting hardware kit 8x30mm

endo.alley

« Reply #462 on: August 29, 2022, 04:49:17 PM »

I have both frames. I think that the 936 have better looks: The downtube is prettier when it is a straight line. 936 has better entries in the frame for cables (screw on lids).
The Fm 909 is just slightly lighter than the 936 std-model.
909 ha better placing of the rear suspension (easier to reach lever).
In some way I like the feeling in 936 better when riding.

Is there any difference between the two regarding rear suspension when riding? Or any other differences in bike performance between the two outside of the cosmetics?

RDY

« Reply #463 on: August 30, 2022, 07:30:50 AM »
All bolts are included. You need 1 piece of mounting hardware kit 8x30mm

Thanks?  Will any of them do? Some look quite different ...

Also can't find on Hayes' site what the eyelet size of the Mara is, though I'd guess it's the 'standard' 15.

acedeuce802

« Reply #464 on: August 30, 2022, 09:32:05 AM »
Thanks?  Will any of them do? Some look quite different ...

Also can't find on Hayes' site what the eyelet size of the Mara is, though I'd guess it's the 'standard' 15.
Mara is standard 15mm, though I found mine to be on the high side of tolerance (still fits 15mm but is a tad more loose than others I've had).  The Mara comes with a DU bushing (google "mtb shock DU bushing" for a picture), which I believe Rockshox and Manitou shock hardware make use of.  Fox, for example, provides new bushings with their shock hardware, so you'd have to press out the metal ring with red DU bushing material out of the Mara eyelet.