Author Topic: Carbonda FM909  (Read 121169 times)

ghawk162002

Re: Carbonda FM909
« Reply #495 on: September 27, 2022, 06:29:54 PM »
I am looking to pick up a FM909 in L as I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam. I'm going to be using it for trail riding and some bikepacking. I've noticed some parts lists from other posts and will start with the Rockshox SID Ultimate Fork in 120mm. But my question is, do I need to order any extra of the bolts for the rear linkage or anything like that with my order? I'm not planning to get the headset or clamp or anything like that as I'll buy those from a different manufacturer. I have a Carbonda 696 gravel bike and I wasn't impressed with the axles. Maybe they are different on this so I may try and get the rear axle and just put a spacer on it since some have had issues with it bottoming out. But I'm just wondering besides the extra derailleur hanger, what should I request? Also, will the FSA headset linked in the FM936 thread fit this bike as well? Thanks! Winter 2022-2023 build incoming!

vrenspl

« Reply #496 on: September 28, 2022, 12:17:20 AM »
My frame is in customs at the moment. I think it's a right moment to order the rear axle. I have a basic knowledge  that it should be 177mm, 1mm pitch. I will include a picture - is that allright(with washer)?

carbonazza

« Reply #497 on: September 28, 2022, 05:33:17 AM »
... I wasn't impressed with the axles...
What was wrong with the axles? I always use the ones coming with the frame.
Putting some copper grease on the thread as they are hard to start with.

My only bad one is on my FM936 where I got a Torx30, that no multi tool has.
But by using/forcing an hex 6mm, I converted it  ::)

ghawk162002

« Reply #498 on: September 28, 2022, 10:32:28 PM »
What was wrong with the axles? I always use the ones coming with the frame.
Putting some copper grease on the thread as they are hard to start with.

But by using/forcing an hex 6mm, I converted it  ::)

They were really soft and would never thread in right. It was odd. Bought some Hardlite axles and have never had issues. I'm going to go ahead and order the rear axle and spare rear link bolts. Skip the headset and get a good one from FSA or Cane Creek if they make one. This is my first MTB build, so I'm wondering what size I should get. Anyone have links to what they are using for headset?

carbonazza

« Reply #499 on: September 29, 2022, 12:05:03 AM »
...Skip the headset and get a good one from FSA or Cane Creek if they make one...
The hate on this poor little thing surprise me each time ;)?
I ride in a rainy/muddy country. Bearings particularly suffer here.

The cheap headsets you get with the frame with a good layer of marine grease(especially on top of the bottom bearings) will last as much as the more expensive ones.
Even more if you ride a dry area.

An integrated headset is just bearings and some shims and caps, no special tech here.
With bearings that will never see any speed or make a full turn in their life, why not spend elsewhere your hard earned cash ?

Eneen

« Reply #500 on: September 29, 2022, 05:57:38 AM »
I asked for the internal routing.
And then a daylight photo of the colour. Artificial light makes it appear almost black.

Is it possible to add external routing option too?
Could you tell me how much have you additionally paid to get this blue carbon color? Are there more "transparent" color options?

RDY

« Reply #501 on: September 29, 2022, 10:33:04 AM »
Could you tell me how much have you additionally paid to get this blue carbon color? Are there more "transparent" color options?

Think there are 5 or 6 tinted clearcoat over raw carbon options.  Pricing will depend on what you want done.  Think mine came to about $250 ... tinted clear over raw carbon, paint splatter over that, final transparent clear over that.

Take a look at TIME's latest finishes for inspiration maybe.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 10:41:45 AM by RDY »

smoothmoose

« Reply #502 on: September 29, 2022, 01:28:26 PM »
I just received an FM909 frame. I was deciding between the FM936 and FM909. For a similar performing frame, the FM909 was lighter. Identical geometry between the two frames. And I think the horizontal shock linkage in a Horst Link is often a more progressive leverage ratio than the vertical shock linkage. It probably depends on whether you prefer a slightly progressive, or a slightly linear/ regressive leverage ratio at the bottom of the stroke. Then there is the look of the bike to factor in. To me they were about the same as far as eye appeal.
Do you know if the leverage curve and other suspension kinematics are posted somewhere for either the FM909 or FM936?  I thought I saw them once, but the search here sucks.

Swolie74

« Reply #503 on: September 29, 2022, 01:52:44 PM »
Do you know if the leverage curve and other suspension kinematics are posted somewhere for either the FM909 or FM936?  I thought I saw them once, but the search here sucks.

try looking... I responded to you last time you asked with a direct link.

Pedaldancer

« Reply #504 on: September 29, 2022, 01:58:07 PM »

It was 180 or 190.. I don't remember the exact value. It's more expensive than a "normal" color. That's because they had to remove the black UD raw coating.

I checked the invoice. It was 150. Worth every penny. But keep in my mind, that the bike is dark, if the day is cloudy.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 04:13:56 AM by Pedaldancer »

ghawk162002

« Reply #505 on: September 29, 2022, 10:09:03 PM »
The hate on this poor little thing surprise me each time ;)?
I ride in a rainy/muddy country. Bearings particularly suffer here.

The cheap headsets you get with the frame with a good layer of marine grease(especially on top of the bottom bearings) will last as much as the more expensive ones.
Even more if you ride a dry area.

An integrated headset is just bearings and some shims and caps, no special tech here.
With bearings that will never see any speed or make a full turn in their life, why not spend elsewhere your hard earned cash ?

I have no problem going with the one provided and stick some Phils grease in there. Appreciate the feedback! Now I'm hoping to find a good rear shock and 8x30 bearing. Seems the RS SID Luxe 165x40 is sold out everywhere. Discontinued maybe? May have to look at a Fox rear shock or see if something new comes out this October when new parts/bikes are usually released.

Eneen

« Reply #506 on: September 30, 2022, 01:51:35 AM »
The blue line is the overall force needed to go from 0 to full travel.
The red line is the force needed to get the next 1mm of travel at any given point.

Both shocks are the same except for a slightly bigger volume spacer in the FM936 to match the overall bottom out resistances.

@Julian, thank you for your work! Could you do same sim but add more volume spacers to 909? I know it will shorten effective travel a bit, but maybe it will also rise midstroke. How much do you think bendy seatstays could affect this curve?
Maybe also bending point should be closer to seatstays bridge?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 01:57:17 AM by Eneen »

Seba MTB

« Reply #507 on: September 30, 2022, 07:27:30 AM »
I have no problem going with the one provided and stick some Phils grease in there. Appreciate the feedback! Now I'm hoping to find a good rear shock and 8x30 bearing. Seems the RS SID Luxe 165x40 is sold out everywhere. Discontinued maybe? May have to look at a Fox rear shock or see if something new comes out this October when new parts/bikes are usually released.

I have this one, with the possibility of a lock, it works nicely
https://www.rowertour.com/p/246871/amortyzator-tylny-rock-shox-deluxe-nude-rlc3-scott-spark-rc-100?gclid=CjwKCAjwp9qZBhBkEiwAsYFsbwe85_YZGnVRSCmY4SUWP-0hvAULV2kIDNOrlT0LbeJl23gGQtIkjhoCyNAQAvD_BwE

jonnybearback

« Reply #508 on: September 30, 2022, 10:16:09 PM »
You'll want to check out Syncros offerings.
All my Syncros tools come with a T30, probably because scott use them on all pivots. As you found out, in reverse.. a t30 turns into a 6mm when pushed far enough which is good for kabolt/oneup axles

RDY

« Reply #509 on: October 06, 2022, 05:00:52 PM »
Received the frame.  Quality seems excellent except for:

They painted it with the bearings in the linkages.  My mechanic recommended not to remove them to grease, since he's sure it will badly damage and crack off chunks of clear.  I'm inclined to agree.  I might expect this of one of the super cheap finishes from from one of the 'cowboy' outfits.  But this finish cost me $250.   It means I can't grease them - and they didn't.  And when they need to be replaced I need to wreck the finish.   Not happy.  They also could have done a much better job with the splatter and appear to have ignored my instructions re: doing the splatter over the green clear and then doing colorless clear over the splatter - but I'm not as bothered about that as the more obvious problem.

Derailleur hanger is a bit odd, but seems to work.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 05:32:01 PM by RDY »