Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame  (Read 201027 times)

kjfekfrekgnr

Re: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame
« Reply #210 on: July 02, 2021, 11:25:39 AM »
Thanks, that's good to know. I was planning to do that but I was worried about having a sharp bend in the cable.

braincore

« Reply #211 on: July 02, 2021, 08:25:00 PM »
Just got back from my first 50-miler with climbs on the R-186. It rides great, and someone even asked if it was a Tarmac. At a cafe, another person told me that Barry Bonds (former baseball player) rides the same bike; I just checked him up and he has a Tarmac SL7.

I did have issues with my FD and RD, which didn't appear during my short daily commutes. I had trouble shifting into my large chainring, and my four larger cogs had issues. Is it normal to require a tune up so early on or did I do something fundamentally wrong? I'm guessing that it's too early for cable stretching so perhaps I did not tie the fasteners for the cables sufficiently and they've slipped ever so slightly?

jokage

« Reply #212 on: July 02, 2021, 09:22:03 PM »
Anyone else waiting for the frame to be shipped as it is still waiting for the handlebar? Got any update?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 01:51:14 AM by jokage »

Nickk2000

« Reply #213 on: July 02, 2021, 09:36:50 PM »
Just got back from my first 50-miler with climbs on the R-186. It rides great, and someone even asked if it was a Tarmac. At a cafe, another person told me that Barry Bonds (former baseball player) rides the same bike; I just checked him up and he has a Tarmac SL7.

I did have issues with my FD and RD, which didn't appear during my short daily commutes. I had trouble shifting into my large chainring, and my four larger cogs had issues. Is it normal to require a tune up so early on or did I do something fundamentally wrong? I'm guessing that it's too early for cable stretching so perhaps I did not tie the fasteners for the cables sufficiently and they've slipped ever so slightly?

Grats on the ride. Did you have brake rub at all? My r12 has the slightest rub and im a perfectionist, im probably losing a 50th of a watt but i can see the screws are slightly misaligned and tilted by maybe 1mm in relation to the rotor. Can you relate on your frame?

braincore

« Reply #214 on: July 02, 2021, 11:22:01 PM »
Grats on the ride. Did you have brake rub at all? My r12 has the slightest rub and im a perfectionist, im probably losing a 50th of a watt but i can see the screws are slightly misaligned and tilted by maybe 1mm in relation to the rotor. Can you relate on your frame?

There's a very slight rub once per revolution on both wheels. From videos I've watched on alignment, they appear to be within tolerance.

On the R-186, the brake mount holes are oversized. I imagine that's to fit varying sizes & brands of disc brakes. I have been frustrated by a slight 1mm movement as I torque up the screws which is the root cause of this chafing, but I think if I take another stab at it, I can get it perfect. One other detail is that as the rotor spins, I observe it getting closer and further from the brake pads. I'm wondering if there's an issue with the alignment of the disc rotor, rotor mount, wheel, or center lock.

fcs01

« Reply #215 on: July 03, 2021, 03:07:50 AM »
Anyone else waiting for the frame to be shipped as it is still waiting for the handlebar? Got any update?

My frame (56cm 40-42/100) was supposed to be painted and shipped by the end of March, then April, then May, then it got delayed 'for the handlebars', so it was June, and then today I've been told the painting shop used the wrong color, so should be ready next week. I mean, what else is there to add

It may be that the internal routing is settling down, assuming it was fine when assembled, and so cables tension (if mechanical) may change slightly, requiring a tune up. if it's hard to get on larger cogs/chainrings, it might be that the cables have too much slack. Hope it helps
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 03:34:44 AM by fcs01 »

Nickk2000

« Reply #216 on: July 03, 2021, 07:49:24 AM »
There's a very slight rub once per revolution on both wheels. From videos I've watched on alignment, they appear to be within tolerance.

On the R-186, the brake mount holes are oversized. I imagine that's to fit varying sizes & brands of disc brakes. I have been frustrated by a slight 1mm movement as I torque up the screws which is the root cause of this chafing, but I think if I take another stab at it, I can get it perfect. One other detail is that as the rotor spins, I observe it getting closer and further from the brake pads. I'm wondering if there's an issue with the alignment of the disc rotor, rotor mount, wheel, or center lock.

Thanks, yeah im kind of in the same boat but its within my tolerances i think, i think i meed to live with it intil the pads are more broken in.

OlieSimpson

« Reply #217 on: July 05, 2021, 05:21:55 AM »
Placed my order for a VB-R-168 on Friday last week. I ordered the 52cm Frame with a 400/90mm bar stem combo and had confirmation from Chris before ordering that both the frame and bar was in stock.

I'm 170cm tall and according to the Specialized SL7 size chart I'm right in the middle of the 52cm and 54cm frame sizes so decided to go for the smaller option.

I've gone with a custom 3x colour chameleon paint job and am speaking to Chris on this now, so do not yet have a confirmed timeline for paint and delivery. Be interesting to see what is confirmed and if they meet the dates.

I'm currently creating a little shopping list for some of the bits I'll need to build the frame and have a few questions:

Has anyone tried to fit an SL7 silicon seat post cover to a 168? Something like this: https://www.lordgunbicycles.co.uk/specialized-tarmac-my2018-seatpost-clamp-cover. I know the 168 doesn't come with one and I'd like to have a bit more protection from water if possible.

Does anyone have any experience with this ZTTO bottom bracket, either as a standard or ceramic bearing option? https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/33021799492.html

I like that the BB is threaded and uses a standard installation tool which I already have. It's between the ZTTO and a normal dura ace press fit however have heard the press fits can creak which I want to avoid as I HATE bike noise haha.

When installing your BB's, did you install with grease or dry? I read somewhere that a press fit to alu frame should be greased and a press fit to carbon frame should be dry but can't find where I saw that to confirm. My plan is to use a little copper slip on the outside of BB but not sure if it's needed.

Any other advice or watch-out's when building the bike up?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 05:26:05 AM by OlieSimpson »

wijmaar

« Reply #218 on: July 05, 2021, 06:13:51 AM »
Has anyone tried to fit an SL7 silicon seat post cover to a 168? Something like this: https://www.lordgunbicycles.co.uk/specialized-tarmac-my2018-seatpost-clamp-cover. I know the 168 doesn't come with one and I'd like to have a bit more protection from water if possible.

I have ordered the SL7 cover, but have not yet received the frame. Once I have the frame I can confirm if it fits or not.

jokage

« Reply #219 on: July 05, 2021, 06:19:26 AM »
Placed my order for a VB-R-168 on Friday last week. I ordered the 52cm Frame with a 400/90mm bar stem combo and had confirmation from Chris before ordering that both the frame and bar was in stock.

I'm 170cm tall and according to the Specialized SL7 size chart I'm right in the middle of the 52cm and 54cm frame sizes so decided to go for the smaller option.

I am a cm shorter than you, with 77cm inseam. The Specialized sizing tool and chart suggested to go for size 52, and instead, I've ordered the size 49 with a 400/90 bar.

I used my current bike as my sizing reference. It's a 20er folding bike, but I've installed a drop bar on it. I've played around with the stem lengths, handlebar heights, and brifter angles, to find the right geometry for me. From those experiments, I've concluded that the horizontal distance between the seatpost and the horizontal part of the handlebar, center-to-center, is around 60cm. Now, the shortest stem they have for the integrated bars is 90cm. 600 - 90 = 510. That's the size 49's effective top-tube dimension, give or take.

There's also a note in this thread that their integrated bar is curved forward. I assume that the curvature is already factored in the 80mm reach of the handlebar, but if it's not, then I'd have a minimum additional stretch. Other than that, the seatpost has a setback (2cm?). If the frame is indeed too small, I can move the saddle back and it will then have the ideal effective seat tube angle.

Also, I'd probably get an option to slam it, if my back allows.

Let's see if indeed I've ordered the right size when I finished the build.

The problem is, although I ordered it as a plain frameset, it's still waiting for the 400/90. In the last contact with them, they said that they will send it out at the beginning of this week.

OlieSimpson

« Reply #220 on: July 05, 2021, 06:57:56 AM »
I am a cm shorter than you, with 77cm inseam. The Specialized sizing tool and chart suggested to go for size 52, and instead, I've ordered the size 49 with a 400/90 bar.

I used my current bike as my sizing reference. It's a 20er folding bike, but I've installed a drop bar on it. I've played around with the stem lengths, handlebar heights, and brifter angles, to find the right geometry for me. From those experiments, I've concluded that the horizontal distance between the seatpost and the horizontal part of the handlebar, center-to-center, is around 60cm. Now, the shortest stem they have for the integrated bars is 90cm. 600 - 90 = 510. That's the size 49's effective top-tube dimension, give or take.

There's also a note in this thread that their integrated bar is curved forward. I assume that the curvature is already factored in the 80mm reach of the handlebar, but if it's not, then I'd have a minimum additional stretch. Other than that, the seatpost has a setback (2cm?). If the frame is indeed too small, I can move the saddle back and it will then have the ideal effective seat tube angle.

Also, I'd probably get an option to slam it, if my back allows.

Let's see if indeed I've ordered the right size when I finished the build.

The problem is, although I ordered it as a plain frameset, it's still waiting for the 400/90. In the last contact with them, they said that they will send it out at the beginning of this week.

I've been debating the exact same issue for the last few weeks and have been going round in circles over the frame size.

In the end I went to my local Specialized dealer and sat on their bike fit bike, they plugged in the geo numbers of the 52cm Tarmac SL7 which exactly match the 52cm VB-R-168 and I had a quick spin. The riding position is very aggressive but the reach was comfortable. Oddly enough, the reach on the 52cm 168 is actually longer than my current bike set-up by about 15-20mm but the 168 riding position felt more compact, maybe because the stack is about 27mm lower than my current set-up?

After testing the 52cm I'd be cautious over the stack hight of the 49cm as it's going to be super low (13mm lower than the 52cm). Not sure how flexible you are but running it slammed I feel would be really uncomfortable on your back and neck after feeling how aggressive the 52cm position is. There will probably also be a big difference between seat hight and bar hight.

Strange that you've been waiting for the bars as Chris said they were in stock, hope they actually are :).

Good luck with the build though!!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 07:03:29 AM by OlieSimpson »

OlieSimpson

« Reply #221 on: July 05, 2021, 07:01:08 AM »
I have ordered the SL7 cover, but have not yet received the frame. Once I have the frame I can confirm if it fits or not.

Amazing, would be great to hear if it does!

Out of interest where did you order from?

wijmaar

« Reply #222 on: July 05, 2021, 07:05:25 AM »
Amazing, would be great to hear if it does!

Out of interest where did you order from?

I ordered from this shop in The Netherlands (where I live :) ). https://www.stouwdam.nl/en/specialized-stp-my21-tarmac-sl7-seatpost-wedge-513

jokage

« Reply #223 on: July 05, 2021, 07:24:13 AM »
I've been debating the exact same issue for the last few weeks and have been going round in circles over the frame size.

To be honest, I am still not perfectly sure about the size even now. There's a friend shorter than me and has an actual tarmac, but due to the condition (restricted travel etc.) I can't test it.

Strange that you've been waiting for the bars as Chris said they were in stock, hope they actually are :).

When did you get the info? I asked it last Saturday (GMT+7), and they said that the bar will be ready starting this week or something.

OlieSimpson

« Reply #224 on: July 05, 2021, 08:44:27 AM »
I ordered from this shop in The Netherlands (where I live :) ). https://www.stouwdam.nl/en/specialized-stp-my21-tarmac-sl7-seatpost-wedge-513

Amazing, I'm also Netherlands (Amsterdam) based, so will do the same  :)

Hoping the frame comes and I get it built in time for the Dam to Dam on 19th Sept, however I have a feeling it's going to take quite a bit longer unfortunately.

When did you get the info? I asked it last Saturday (GMT+7), and they said that the bar will be ready starting this week or something.

Directly from Chris via e-mail, he confirmed on Thursday 1st July that both the 168 frame in a 52cm size and the bar in 400/90mm were both in stock, as I wanted to make sure before I confirmed the order.