Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame  (Read 201131 times)

jokage

Re: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame
« Reply #420 on: August 15, 2021, 06:50:21 PM »
I am having a small issue with the seatpost and the expander/wedge.

I just realized that crank arm length, cleat system, sole height, and certainly the saddle rail-to-top are the determining factors for the seatpost insertion depth.

I've cut my seatpost a bit shorter than my target saddle height because I miscalculated the insertion depth -- it's primarily because I used 165mm crank instead of my usual 170mm. It became an issue as the seatpost is slipping on every ride even with reasonable tightening on the expander. I haven't applied carbon paste though.

After I checked the seatpost, I noticed that the contact area of the expander to the seatpost is too small. The contacts are mostly on the edges. Each slippage, the expander digs into the seatpost leaving two parallel scratch lines along the seatpost.

The solution should be to increase the contact area. Will carbon paste a solution here?

Other experiences with seatpost so far:

On each slippage, the seatpost became stuck around the wheel cutout area. I had to pull the seat system with a reasonable force. I used a bar around eye-level height, cover it with some clothes, hook the saddle on to it -- after I loosen the expander, and then jerk the bike down. I hope that this force is still within the designed operating force window.

I also noticed that the seat tube doesn't have uniform thickness along its run. It became thinner a few cm in. This might be the cause of some knocking sound someone noticed before.

1Sigma

« Reply #421 on: August 15, 2021, 08:20:47 PM »
Steerer tube question.  This is my first time working with carbon. 
Most of the carbon work on this looks pretty good for my untrained eye.
However, a few things caught my attention on the steerer. 
Any care to weigh in?

1) steerer is nice and smooth most of the way, but contains a nest of loose ends at the bottom.
Hard to capture without a scope, but is this normal?

2) There appears to be a void or delamination at the top of the tube (right by my thumb)
I mean, this will be cut, but is that an indicator of overall quality?

3) These weird irregularities near the fork.  Not gouges, but indents. Probably nothing.

4) looks like a bit of a hack job drilling the brake line hole.  Probably not an issue.  Just ugly
Better than average - Extra Average

AngelDust

« Reply #422 on: August 15, 2021, 08:41:42 PM »
I am having a small issue with the seatpost and the expander/wedge.

I just realized that crank arm length, cleat system, sole height, and certainly the saddle rail-to-top are the determining factors for the seatpost insertion depth.

I've cut my seatpost a bit shorter than my target saddle height because I miscalculated the insertion depth -- it's primarily because I used 165mm crank instead of my usual 170mm. It became an issue as the seatpost is slipping on every ride even with reasonable tightening on the expander. I haven't applied carbon paste though.

After I checked the seatpost, I noticed that the contact area of the expander to the seatpost is too small. The contacts are mostly on the edges. Each slippage, the expander digs into the seatpost leaving two parallel scratch lines along the seatpost.

The solution should be to increase the contact area. Will carbon paste a solution here?

Other experiences with seatpost so far:

On each slippage, the seatpost became stuck around the wheel cutout area. I had to pull the seat system with a reasonable force. I used a bar around eye-level height, cover it with some clothes, hook the saddle on to it -- after I loosen the expander, and then jerk the bike down. I hope that this force is still within the designed operating force window.

I also noticed that the seat tube doesn't have uniform thickness along its run. It became thinner a few cm in. This might be the cause of some knocking sound someone noticed before.

i don't recommend about using the current seatpost, some guy in my town broke apart their seatpost because he doesn't fulfill the minimum seatpost insertion dept, but it takes a year for it to be happen, clearly its better to have a replacement and contact Chris for solution.

for Carbon Paste yes it works, i use park tool one and helps a lot in my previous bike *cheers

AngelDust

« Reply #423 on: August 15, 2021, 08:46:49 PM »

1) steerer is nice and smooth most of the way, but contains a nest of loose ends at the bottom.

2) There appears to be a void or delamination at the top of the tube (right by my thumb)

3) These weird irregularities near the fork.  Not gouges, but indents. Probably nothing.

4) looks like a bit of a hack job drilling the brake line hole.  Probably not an issue.  Just ugly

1. I do found this in some low quality carbon part like seatpost and handlebar, and i have had some carbon bike with big brand, they doesn't has this but pretty sure it won't be problem but correct me if i'm wrong

2 & 3 . shouldn't be problem hopefuly , i will get back at you later, i'm getting mine today let me see mine

4. Thank God it's hidden

Yeah the wait for the frame is a killer, I think I'm coming close to 2 months now and it's still awaiting paint and custom decals.

Which seatpost did you order? I can't find any chiner ones and the official SL7 posts are upwards of €200!

2 month and still awaiting paint? mine finished in 1 month and today i'm picking up the frame but i do hope nothing get wrong in the box , i do reccomend to try getting an update every week from chris ,
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 09:07:40 PM by AngelDust »

jokage

« Reply #424 on: August 15, 2021, 09:10:41 PM »
i don't recommend about using the current seatpost, some guy in my town broke apart their seatpost because he doesn't fulfill the minimum seatpost insertion dept, but it takes a year for it to be happen, clearly its better to have a replacement and contact Chris for solution.

Sorry to cause confusion. The seatpost length is, I am pretty sure, still totally safe -- It still has around 13cm insertion depth. Perfect cut should've made it sit on the wheel cutout, but I've made a mistake by cutting it around 1cm more than I should.

jokage

« Reply #425 on: August 15, 2021, 09:18:40 PM »
Any care to weigh in?

Exactly as I received. I was also concerned but didn't put much thought into it, and the shop guy who helped me build the bike didn't put any comment on the fork -- he praised the frame though. I just assumed that they use a less sophisticated method compared to the frame.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 09:28:50 PM by jokage »

Natas

« Reply #426 on: August 16, 2021, 02:35:39 AM »
Any care to weigh in?

Yes, it's not the best finish compared to a branded one like Cannondale or Specialized, but that is common for this type of production. From what we can see on our pictures and from my experience there is no risk in use.

OlieSimpson

« Reply #427 on: August 16, 2021, 04:36:16 AM »
Of course  ;) ;)

The futures evolutions will be to change:

I should win 250gr

Do you have a link to the Chinese Ti Speed Play pedals you're using? Do you recomend them?

AngelDust

« Reply #428 on: August 16, 2021, 09:35:40 AM »
so i received my frame today
okay here's my review so far :
The color is bad ( its not even resembling even an inch from what i request ) i request laser blue metallic and come blue pastel  :'(
i'm disappointed , and going to paint it later after a few rides

except from the paint the frame is good
I have XS size
Frame with hanger come in 1101 gram (quite heavy paint around 100gr)

Here is my frame and will build it with other handlebar , i do find the bar is flexy and i don't like it
Should i sell it or keep it ?

My Build may weight around 7,4 - 7,7 Kg
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 09:37:28 AM by AngelDust »

OlieSimpson

« Reply #429 on: August 16, 2021, 11:01:57 AM »
The color is bad ( its not even resembling even an inch from what i request ) i request laser blue metallic and come blue pastel  :'(

I have XS size

Here is my frame and will build it with other handlebar , i do find the bar is flexy and i don't like it

Such a shame it doesn't match what you asked for! Did you send over a colour picture reference to Chris or just request the colour via e-mail? Did you receive a mock-up of what the colour was meant to look like? Personally, I really like the look of what you have been sent but can imagine you're disappointed!

Aside from the colour, how is the quality of the paint job itself? Have you also inspected the frame and bars, are they also okay quality wise?

1Sigma

« Reply #430 on: August 16, 2021, 11:04:44 AM »
Yes, it's not the best finish compared to a branded one like Cannondale or Specialized, but that is common for this type of production. From what we can see on our pictures and from my experience there is no risk in use.

Exactly as I received. I was also concerned but didn't put much thought into it, and the shop guy who helped me build the bike didn't put any comment on the fork -- he praised the frame though. I just assumed that they use a less sophisticated method compared to the frame.

1. I do found this in some low quality carbon part like seatpost and handlebar, and i have had some carbon bike with big brand, they doesn't has this but pretty sure it won't be problem but correct me if i'm wrong

2 & 3 . shouldn't be problem hopefuly , i will get back at you later, i'm getting mine today let me see mine

4. Thank God it's hidden

Thanks for the input everyone

1Sigma

« Reply #431 on: August 16, 2021, 11:40:52 AM »

Thanks for sharing!

A shame about the paint.   I am still in discussions with Chris to try to find a mutually agreeable solution (although within rights, there is no way they will send a new frame. But asking me to ship it back at my expense is also not fair)

If the paint is off, for instance, the metallic blue was a little light or darker than expected, I would consider this an acceptable deviation.
In your case, it looks like they used the wrong Pantone code and you ended up with something like Relucent Blue (which has a very similar number)

Up to you how worth it is for you to put up a fight I guess, but at the very least you should get exactly what you ordered in terms of parts, and very close in terms of paint.

Natas

« Reply #432 on: August 16, 2021, 01:03:12 PM »
Do you have a link to the Chinese Ti Speed Play pedals you're using? Do you recomend them?
I bought these pedals https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005002304240956.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.25176c37RuykzV
For the moment, I need to try them more and to lapp them, because currently it's really difficult to clip on

Natas

« Reply #433 on: August 16, 2021, 01:15:14 PM »

I have XS size

For sure, this color is not close to laser blue metallic, I'm sorry for you :(
I am a little surprised at the weight announced in your spreadsheet, especially for the seatpost and the headset. Did you change something?
I am also interested to know which model of handlebar you will use.

renrew

« Reply #434 on: August 16, 2021, 02:06:48 PM »
I installed this handlebar on my colleague's house. Here, too,
I have to say a lot of flex. I would also be interested in what kind of handlebars you build

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/33021843997.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.13bb4c4dzIvwe4