Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame  (Read 201152 times)

Tcsufferclub

Re: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame
« Reply #600 on: September 19, 2021, 12:58:01 PM »
I think my bottle cage bosses are crooked!
Slowly going over things since my frame arrived on Friday. Everything looks pretty good. Can't really check the major stuff yet, as I'm waiting until November for my groupset.
I installed the vb carbon cages, and they are both a bit crooked. Should I try drilling a wider hole in the cage's mounting plate to get more adjustability?

1Sigma

« Reply #601 on: September 19, 2021, 12:58:27 PM »
I’ve received my frame and started the build. However, I’m having a lot of trouble with the internal routing. My specific question is whether I have to get the shifter cable housing inside the frame or not?

Yes, the shifter cable housing is internally routed in the frame.
You may be best served starting with the handlebar routing first, then routing through the headset and frame.

I did it the other way around, which equates to a lot of time faffing around with the handlebars.

Others may have better advice, but using inner cables as a guide worked really well for me

For the front derailleur, I would thread the cable through the shifters and housing once you’ve routed the housing through the handlebars and dry fitted the shifters
Then the inner cable can used as a guide to get the FD housing in position
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 01:07:33 PM by 1Sigma »
Better than average - Extra Average

simonk

« Reply #602 on: September 19, 2021, 06:26:43 PM »

Yes, the shifter cable housing is internally routed in the frame.
You may be best served starting with the handlebar routing first, then routing through the headset and frame.

I did it the other way around, which equates to a lot of time faffing around with the handlebars.

Others may have better advice, but using inner cables as a guide worked really well for me

For the front derailleur, I would thread the cable through the shifters and housing once you’ve routed the housing through the handlebars and dry fitted the shifters
Then the inner cable can used as a guide to get the FD housing in position

Ok, thank you! I'm assuming the brake housing goes through as well? I'm having a hard time clamping down the handlebar with all four cable housing coming out of the spacer hole. I'll be trying again soon.

1Sigma

« Reply #603 on: September 19, 2021, 07:20:41 PM »
Ok, thank you! I'm assuming the brake housing goes through as well? I'm having a hard time clamping down the handlebar with all four cable housing coming out of the spacer hole. I'll be trying again soon.

Yep! The housing (brake and shifter) run the entire length from shifters to their respective spots.
So, in the frame you will have 3 cables running down the headtube, then down the downtube, and one cable running down the head tube and through the fork

The handlebars gave me a headache as well. That 90 degree bend…

simonk

« Reply #604 on: September 19, 2021, 08:05:55 PM »
Yep! The housing (brake and shifter) run the entire length from shifters to their respective spots.
So, in the frame you will have 3 cables running down the headtube, then down the downtube, and one cable running down the head tube and through the fork

The handlebars gave me a headache as well. That 90 degree bend…

Ok thank you so much! One last question I’m having is whether I need to get the housing out of the front derailleur hole. It seems rather small and I’m wondering if only the cable needs to go through.

jokage

« Reply #605 on: September 19, 2021, 09:26:32 PM »
Ok thank you so much! One last question I’m having is whether I need to get the housing out of the front derailleur hole. It seems rather small and I’m wondering if only the cable needs to go through.
Just the cable. The housing stopped inside the frame.

cscottride

« Reply #607 on: September 21, 2021, 10:57:25 AM »
Hi,

I very much enjoy the experience and knowledge shared on this thread. This is my first time posting on here.

I recently purchased a VB-R-168 frame, VB 60mm wheels, and 105 disc groupset. It has been coming together nicely, however, I installed the press fit BB and went to install the cranks but noticed a slight rubbing on the chainstay from one of the chainring bolts on the drive side of the crank. I purchased a kit of (10) 1mm spacer rings to hold the crank away from the frame (I hope to only need 2-3 of the spacers). Has anyone else had this issue? Is the method I am using the best option to remedy the situation?

Thanks in advance!
(I am looking to do a complete review once it all comes together and I get some riding time in)

1Sigma

« Reply #608 on: September 21, 2021, 11:36:22 AM »
Hi,

I very much enjoy the experience and knowledge shared on this thread. This is my first time posting on here.

I recently purchased a VB-R-168 frame, VB 60mm wheels, and 105 disc groupset. It has been coming together nicely, however, I installed the press fit BB and went to install the cranks but noticed a slight rubbing on the chainstay from one of the chainring bolts on the drive side of the crank. I purchased a kit of (10) 1mm spacer rings to hold the crank away from the frame (I hope to only need 2-3 of the spacers). Has anyone else had this issue? Is the method I am using the best option to remedy the situation?

Thanks in advance!
(I am looking to do a complete review once it all comes together and I get some riding time in)

Picture?  I am having a hard time visualizing the chainring bolt rubbing the chainstay. With a standard part like a 105 crank their ought to be no need for a spacer

renrew

« Reply #609 on: September 21, 2021, 01:51:23 PM »
Picture

cscottride

« Reply #610 on: September 21, 2021, 08:33:06 PM »
Picture?  I am having a hard time visualizing the chainring bolt rubbing the chainstay. With a standard part like a 105 crank their ought to be no need for a spacer

Sorry for the delay. See attached for the picture of where I am referring to. It is that silver torx nut on the inside of the crank next to the chainstay. Thanks.

renrew

« Reply #611 on: September 22, 2021, 04:29:03 AM »
are these 3 chainrings?

cscottride

« Reply #612 on: September 22, 2021, 05:35:02 AM »
are these 3 chainrings?

There are two chainrings.

jokage

« Reply #613 on: September 22, 2021, 06:18:32 AM »

Is it a Shimano BB?

Mine is not using Shimano's BB and I didn't install it by myself, but I remember that the BB came with spacers, and after first ride, I requested the mechanic to move one of the spacers to the other side. What I am trying to say is that BBs with spacers are normal.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 06:29:00 AM by jokage »

renrew

« Reply #614 on: September 22, 2021, 03:20:56 PM »
For SRAM cranks there are clear instructions and spacers are included so that the chain line is correct. The frame of the 168 is exactly 86.5 for me. My SRAM Red etape shifts like a machine gun