Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame  (Read 201316 times)

cm8181

Re: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame
« Reply #975 on: April 05, 2022, 12:57:28 AM »
I put the front brake on the left side of the handlebar and did not get any problems with it. In general, I felt a slight restoring force on the handlebars after installing the cables. But I think that this is normal. When driving this is not particularly noticeable.

bamboo_mountain

« Reply #976 on: April 08, 2022, 10:43:34 AM »
I finally received my my frame, and my initial impressions are pretty negative. I don't know if this is an outlier but there seem to be quite a few little issues.

1. There seems to be some sort of delaminated layer in a complete circle around the inside of the downtube (see pic). I don't know if this is normal or not (first carbon frame).

2. Generally poor paint quality with a few large blobs, including one right on the fork where the lower bearing race sits.

3. Little surface voids, including on the inside of the stem clamp, and one where the lower headset bearing sits.

4. Sketchy looking brake hole in fork steerer with a small hole right next to it.

5. Serial number on inside of headtube was half peeled off.

6. Ugly fork brake hole (this seems normal for VB).

7. Is it just me or does the front thru axle seem a little too short?

8. Lower seatpost rail clamp doesn't seem to fit the curvature of seatpost. Maybe it is the wrong part?

Thoughts?

memebike

« Reply #977 on: April 08, 2022, 06:13:20 PM »
I finally received my my frame, and my initial impressions are pretty negative. I don't know if this is an outlier but there seem to be quite a few little issues.

1. There seems to be some sort of delaminated layer in a complete circle around the inside of the downtube (see pic). I don't know if this is normal or not (first carbon frame).

2. Generally poor paint quality with a few large blobs, including one right on the fork where the lower bearing race sits.

3. Little surface voids, including on the inside of the stem clamp, and one where the lower headset bearing sits.

4. Sketchy looking brake hole in fork steerer with a small hole right next to it.

8. Lower seatpost rail clamp doesn't seem to fit the curvature of seatpost. Maybe it is the wrong part?

Thoughts?

Have you sent these photos to Velobuild? that kind of looks pretty rough to me,  does the front thru axle screw in all the way? and the seat post sits flush on mine.

bamboo_mountain

« Reply #978 on: April 08, 2022, 06:26:45 PM »
Have you sent these photos to Velobuild? that kind of looks pretty rough to me,  does the front thru axle screw in all the way? and the seat post sits flush on mine.

I haven't sent them pics yet, still deciding what I want to do. The thru axle doesn't screw in all the way when a wheel is inserted, it is maybe 2-3mm short of being flush with the outside edge. That is probably not a big deal and I'm more worried about the other obvious problems.

springs

« Reply #979 on: April 08, 2022, 07:02:21 PM »
My lower seat rail clamp is like yours. I applied some epoxy putty to the seat post to make a proper fit.

memebike

« Reply #980 on: April 08, 2022, 08:10:04 PM »
I haven't sent them pics yet, still deciding what I want to do. The thru axle doesn't screw in all the way when a wheel is inserted, it is maybe 2-3mm short of being flush with the outside edge. That is probably not a big deal and I'm more worried about the other obvious problems.

I'd probably be asking them a few questions about it, i'm no expert but yeah it seems off

bamboo_mountain

« Reply #981 on: April 09, 2022, 03:41:37 PM »
And to top it all off I also noticed that they didn't include the bottle cages that I ordered!

kbike

« Reply #982 on: April 09, 2022, 04:56:26 PM »
I have the carbon seat clamp and it fits with no gap. My fork looks worse than yours does.  I didn't complain with mine because it was a nightmare getting parts. It took 3 times and 5 months between constantly emailing and waiting for shipping.  My issues on the fork weren't where the bearings rested or with cable runs. 

Just scaled up the bike again. 16lb 7.28kg lightest I'm going to get my 168.  I noticed the back wheel was flat after taking pics. I was to excited to see the weight and didn't pay attention.
Want to get out to play with the new wheels. Then I can talk about them. I got new tubes coming to try as well. Obviously I need to replace my old patched up vittorias.

RDY

« Reply #983 on: April 10, 2022, 05:02:08 AM »

Thoughts?

Fork and headtube look very ropey.  I wouldn't be willing to accept that.

Greenred

« Reply #984 on: April 10, 2022, 07:43:42 AM »
The carbon quality on mine looks actually similar, definitely not what you would expect from EPS foam in the process. However, according to my LBS it’s mostly cosmetic, although pretty ugly indeed.

After cutting my steerer tube we also found a small bubble on the inside, it shouldn’t be critical however.

The paint imperfection at the forks cable entrance seems to be a thing.
The thru axle however seems way too short.
Your seatpost clamp issue also surprises me tbh.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2022, 07:46:58 AM by Greenred »

bamboo_mountain

« Reply #985 on: April 10, 2022, 07:50:04 AM »
The carbon quality on mine looks actually similar, definitely not what you would expect from EPS foam in the process. However, according to my LBS it’s mostly cosmetic, although pretty ugly indeed.

After cutting my steerer tube we also found a small bubble on the inside, it shouldn’t be critical however.

The paint imperfection at the forks cable entrance seems to be a thing.
The thru axle however seems way too short.
Your seatpost clamp issue also surprises me tbh.

Have you seen anything like ridge I have all around the inside of the downtube? I can literally flake it off with my fingers and it wraps all the way around.

RDY

« Reply #986 on: April 10, 2022, 08:24:55 AM »
Have you seen anything like ridge I have all around the inside of the downtube? I can literally flake it off with my fingers and it wraps all the way around.

Carbon or excess resin / foam from the mould?

If the carbon is delaminating like that, it should have been scrapped.

Greenred

« Reply #987 on: April 10, 2022, 09:41:03 AM »

Unfortunately yes. I tried to peel it at some part and it seems to be more like a production residue.
A good eps cf production would not allow that to happen.
I just feel like it’s good enough, but then again we’re taking about a low price product.

RDY

« Reply #988 on: April 10, 2022, 10:11:14 AM »
Unfortunately yes. I tried to peel it at some part and it seems to be more like a production residue.
A good eps cf production would not allow that to happen.
I just feel like it’s good enough, but then again we’re taking about a low price product.

You appear to be implying the 168 is EPS, and badly done EPS.  According to VB only the 177 is EPS.

1Sigma

« Reply #989 on: April 10, 2022, 11:30:19 AM »
Specifically regarding your seat.

Looks like you are using a seat with round alloy rails.
The clamp is designed for oval rails.

The paint jobs are not the best - same with mine.  Paint got into bolt holes, causing some irritation.
Minor voids on mine, but not concerned.
Boroscope in the down and top tubes were super clean for me, as expected with EPS

For the price they are awesome.  However, for the price you can expect to put in some sweat equity.

I mean though, for any small issues I’d still buy from them again
« Last Edit: April 10, 2022, 11:37:13 AM by 1Sigma »
Better than average - Extra Average