Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame  (Read 201110 times)

braincore

Re: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame
« Reply #1080 on: June 07, 2022, 04:05:13 AM »
@carbonazza/@patliean1: Thanks for the advice. The housing was low compression, but I decided not to risk it. No part of this build was hacky (unlike my first one) so I decided to keep its genesis pristine and swap the cables.

Wife was happy with its maiden voyage today.

I didn't do a great job of cataloging the build process, but you can see some it here along with the bill of materials:

https://www.superego.ai/ken/margarets-bike-build

Kirkspants

« Reply #1081 on: June 08, 2022, 01:08:28 AM »
I'll take a look at the dealer, thanks for the tip

Wish I woulda read this all sooner. My frame has not shipped which is fine, but the answers I’m getting from Chris are very deflective for simple queries.

braincore

« Reply #1082 on: June 08, 2022, 01:22:36 AM »
Wish I woulda read this all sooner. My frame has not shipped which is fine, but the answers I’m getting from Chris are very deflective for simple queries.

Anything I can answer? I’ve now built two of these about a year apart. I had minimal QC issues with the frames but I did get a somewhat defective wheelset that I abandoned.

planet_sammy

« Reply #1083 on: June 08, 2022, 01:57:27 AM »

I am currently interested in the TT-X33 model, communication with TanTan Cycling support is good and fast. Questions are answered in detail.

Maybe you can still cancel the order?

renrew

« Reply #1084 on: June 08, 2022, 06:11:29 AM »

I am currently interested in the TT-X33 model, communication with TanTan Cycling support is good and fast. Questions are answered in detail.

Maybe you can still cancel the order?

keep us posted on how it's going

hazzer19

« Reply #1085 on: June 08, 2022, 11:25:06 AM »
Anything I can answer? I’ve now built two of these about a year apart. I had minimal QC issues with the frames but I did get a somewhat defective wheelset that I abandoned.

Same here. On my third VB build as we speak and almost no QC issues. Happy to try and help as well if I can.

Greenred

« Reply #1086 on: June 08, 2022, 04:15:02 PM »
I ordered mine just before Chinese New Year and after a longer break in bike building plus waiting for parts I am also done. It’s ready and it’s beautiful, coming in at roughly 7.3kg. Very happy about it now.

Regarding the QC issues: I didn’t have any major problems, but sure, you likely run into imperfections. Some parts are missing or suddenly can’t be delivered like my handlebar. I think you need some time and be resistant to some annoyances for sure. But overall it works! The most recent events do not spark trust however in any kind of standardized quality approach, unfortunately. Even I as a buyer some months ago was a bit nervous that not everything would arrive as ordered. So let’s say from a client experience point of view there’s soooooo much upside potential, without going into more premium segments. Basic trust should be established that what you pay for is what you get. VB is not there at all times unfortunately.

kr78

« Reply #1087 on: June 11, 2022, 02:06:37 PM »
No response so far  :(

Some final words. After I had opened a case on Paypal and VeloBuild became aware of my postings, they responded. It required some dicussion whereas Chris was quite cooperative. Meanwhile we have sorted things out and came to a solution we both can live with.

kr78

« Reply #1088 on: June 11, 2022, 02:34:00 PM »
Handlebar considerations – a hint

Along with the 168 frame I ordered a 100/400mm fully integrated handlebar. I also ordered the VB-HB-021 (2021 New Carbon Handlebar with Separate Stem) with a 110mm stem and a 400mm bar. With the VB-HB-021 option I intended to have a longer cockpit compared to the fully integrated one. However, it turned out that the VB-HB-021 option is shorter than the fully integrated one, although number wise the stem is longer. 

Kirkspants

« Reply #1089 on: June 11, 2022, 03:14:47 PM »
keep us posted on how it's going

@planet_sammy @braincore @hazzer19

Many thanks for the offers, very very grateful! I wanted to cancel my order as I had a change of direction in my head but it took a few days for the reply to come through, Chris said the frame was already painted, then a week later I asked him for photos, several days went by and finally got the photos. I would have preferred to cancel the order... I'll see how the frame comes out in person and I may just wind up seeing if anyone here wants to take it off my hands?

Did they do a good job of supplying the little frame bits for entry/exit ports and for different drivetrains like mechanical vs electronic? Has anyone slapped a real FSA ACR headset on one of these? How good are the bearing seats in terms of finish?

Thanks guys!!

Attached is the photo of my frame... The lines kinda changed positions from the scheme I selected and the pearl white looks less... white. The silver initially looked more brushed metal and now looks silver too, but hey the point of this bike was to have fun with paint and have a good disc brake road bike. Size is S 52 cm.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2022, 03:54:16 AM by Kirkspants »

DodgiePapa

« Reply #1090 on: June 11, 2022, 05:59:22 PM »
Handlebar considerations – a hint

Along with the 168 frame I ordered a 100/400mm fully integrated handlebar. I also ordered the VB-HB-021 (2021 New Carbon Handlebar with Separate Stem) with a 110mm stem and a 400mm bar. With the VB-HB-021 option I intended to have a longer cockpit compared to the fully integrated one. However, it turned out that the VB-HB-021 option is shorter than the fully integrated one, although number wise the stem is longer.

Handlebars and stems are always very tricky. What you have seen could have been seen beforehand (if you know what to look for and know about the hurdles there.)

Lets assume the integrated one also has a bar and stem part to explain your problem.

The integrated bar has a given reach of 80mm vs the 75mm of the separated bar. So with identical stems the integrated one would be 5mm longer - this would lessen the difference to 5mm with identical 100mm or 110mm stems.

BUT the stem angles are different - the integrated one levels out, while the separated one still has some upward angle.
This is very hard to decipher from the website - I tried to illustrate this below.

1 is the separated one - see the angle? Also visible in the placement of the measure of 90/100 etc.
2 is the integrated one - no angle at the connection point.

So if you are just looking for the "reach" of the stem the 100mm integrated one is probably more like 95mm and the separate is angled so much upward that 110mm might be less than 100mm - combine this with 5mm less reach in the bar and your observation makes sense.

You can play around with the Stem Comparison tool to figure things like this out in more detail: http://yojimg.net/bike/web_tools/stem.php

BTW: Full disclosure - I would have made the identical mistake and as I went with the integrated bar and had to guess the real reach with no real angle given it came out a bit different than I planned... paired with the long SRAM Hoods my fit is a little off, so more spacers than planned have to stay for the moment.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 06:04:32 PM by DodgiePapa »

braincore

« Reply #1091 on: June 13, 2022, 03:11:23 AM »
Did they do a good job of supplying the little frame bits for entry/exit ports and for different drivetrains like mechanical vs electronic? Has anyone slapped a real FSA ACR headset on one of these? How good are the bearing seats in terms of finish?

Only done mechanical 2x. The derailleur cables have exit ports: cover for front, plug for rear. I've only used the integrated handlebar, no FSA ACR headset.

« Reply #1092 on: June 13, 2022, 01:04:20 PM »
Hello all

We wanted to provide an update on the recent issues some customers have experienced with their frames and let you know we have been working closely with those affected to find a resolution.

We are implementing additional QC/QA steps to our process prior to frames being sent for painting and multiple checks before shipping to ensure no issues or parts are missed and can be corrected if needed.

We appreciate everyone's feedback and are committed to improving the quality of our products by listening to what you have to say.

Happy building and riding!

VeloBuild Team

FHS

« Reply #1093 on: June 13, 2022, 01:33:10 PM »
@planet_sammy @braincore @hazzer19

Has anyone slapped a real FSA ACR headset on one of these?

If you are asking about the entire FSA ACR set-up (bearings, compression plug, lock ring, top cover) then that would be difficult, and I would say damn near impossible to pull off if you want the actual FSA ACR front hydraulic hose route through the top of the steerer. That being said, on my TanTan TT-x21, I've used everything except the top cover, and routed the hoses as usual through the fully integrated handlebars and through the head tube without too many issues. Everything works fine with the stock Chinese top cover, which allowed me to keep the stock spacers and handlebars that came with the frame.

Hope this helps.

1Sigma

« Reply #1094 on: June 13, 2022, 03:04:43 PM »
Hello all

We wanted to provide an update on the recent issues some customers have experienced with their frames and let you know we have been working closely with those affected to find a resolution.

We are implementing additional QC/QA steps to our process prior to frames being sent for painting and multiple checks before shipping to ensure no issues or parts are missed and can be corrected if needed.

We appreciate everyone's feedback and are committed to improving the quality of our products by listening to what you have to say.

Happy building and riding!

VeloBuild Team

Thanks for listening to our feedback, and providing an update
Better than average - Extra Average