Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame  (Read 201317 times)

davidshinobi

Re: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame
« Reply #1140 on: July 14, 2022, 10:05:53 AM »
It's important to differentiate between user error, and actual bike frame defects / customers being sent the wrong hardware.
Plenty of folks in here including myself have built up multiple bikes this year with none of the aforementioned issues.

Keep in mind the majority of folks in here are DIY home bike mechanics. Experience comes from user trial and error.

Yeah, I wasn't getting what he was describing and thought I'd ask in case the issue was described wrong.
Appreciate the reply

zxcvbnmjm

« Reply #1141 on: July 15, 2022, 02:53:13 AM »
Hi all,
I finished my build in june and have driven it 1300 km since then. I really like the bike in general  :). Luckily I am one of the persons without one of the common quality problems, beside the following issue.
As some other guys i have to use micro spacers, to get get enough space between the top cover of the headset and the head tube. Otherwise the top cover would touch the head tube when compressing the headset.
Unfortunalely my microspacer arrangement slips out of place form time to time, which leads to a loose headset. I attached two photos, to illustrate the problem.
Maybe you can share picutes of your microspacer arrangement or any other advice on how I can address the problem would be very much appreciated. thanks in andvance

Did you cut these micro spacers yourself? Or were they already that shape? ? I cut mine myself and cut them to be the same C shape as the c clip. Yours look like they might be cut too much? So they dont stay around the steerer tube?

shHH

« Reply #1142 on: July 15, 2022, 03:29:28 AM »
Did you cut these micro spacers yourself? Or were they already that shape? ? I cut mine myself and cut them to be the same C shape as the c clip. Yours look like they might be cut too much? So they dont stay around the steerer tube?
Thanks for your answer. I cut them myself to end right at the connection pins. How did you cut them, not covering those pins?

Pigdog

« Reply #1143 on: July 16, 2022, 07:14:29 PM »
Here’s a pic of my completed build.
No big issues for me. Front disc brake caliper mounting points I think need to be faced, as no matter how much adjustments I do, there remains a tiny bit of rub.
Unfortunately the part for facing that is very expensive.
And otherwise, I thought the port where the front derailleur cable leaves the frame was fiddly and a pain, but I got it in the end.

Got them to send me the frame in bare carbon and I did the paint myself. Also added the Winspace Lun wheels which I really like.

gbrnole

« Reply #1144 on: July 17, 2022, 10:36:00 AM »
nicely done @pigdog ! what size tires did you squeeze in there? they look like 32c?

Pigdog

« Reply #1145 on: July 17, 2022, 10:56:39 AM »
nicely done @pigdog ! what size tires did you squeeze in there? they look like 32c?

Thanks! Yeah 32mm gp5000. Fits no problem and a gives a great ride, I wanted the extra comfort

patliean1

« Reply #1146 on: July 17, 2022, 10:59:27 AM »
Kinda want a 168 now lol

bamboo_mountain

« Reply #1147 on: July 17, 2022, 06:45:28 PM »
Finally thinking about building my frame, got out the handlebars that came with it and test fit the computer mount I bought. Check out how misaligned the mounting holes on the bar are! Yet another VB QC fail...

1Sigma

« Reply #1148 on: July 17, 2022, 06:59:50 PM »
Kinda want a 168 now lol

Haha. If you did you’d be glad to hear the HB010 handlebars have a flare that adds 19-20mm to the reach
Better than average - Extra Average

Irideslowly

« Reply #1149 on: July 17, 2022, 07:04:31 PM »
Finally thinking about building my frame, got out the handlebars that came with it and test fit the computer mount I bought. Check out how misaligned the mounting holes on the bar are! Yet another VB QC fail...

There is no way they even do QC. How can someone look at this, and think it's ok to send out?

Pigdog

« Reply #1150 on: July 17, 2022, 08:18:12 PM »

Wow thats bad. I got lucky on that, mine is straight. But the bars that came with mine look different too.

Pigdog

« Reply #1151 on: July 17, 2022, 08:25:29 PM »
that reminds me of one other issue i did have during the build. the special bolt & nuts that came for the integrated handlebar/stem, one of them arrived completely stripped. And none of my local shops even sold a similar bolt. But I found some titanium ones on Aliexpress and they worked perfect, and i like the gold look better anyway.

zxcvbnmjm

« Reply #1152 on: July 17, 2022, 09:59:11 PM »
Thanks for your answer. I cut them myself to end right at the connection pins. How did you cut them, not covering those pins?

sorry for the late response. my c-clip doesnt have connection pins. so i cut mine the full length of the c-clip. in that case, im not really sure what you could do.. sorry !

s3si1u

« Reply #1153 on: July 18, 2022, 02:04:57 AM »

Maybe file down the pins? Also, Velobuild now makes a new ring that's slightly bigger and doesn't have pins for just this issue. Maybe try reaching out to them?

kr78

« Reply #1154 on: July 18, 2022, 07:06:25 AM »

Too bad that these kind of problems (still) exist. Same issue as with mine: http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,3147.msg36515.html#msg36515.

I think it's a general problem since on the picture on their website it somehow seems to be misaligned...

« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 08:00:24 AM by kr78 »