Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame  (Read 201317 times)

patliean1

Re: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame
« Reply #1215 on: July 30, 2022, 09:37:36 AM »
Just uploaded my 168 intro video. There really isn't any "new" information in this particular video that hasn't already been shared in this thread between all of us. However, in the video I do provide evidence that 32c (road) tires fit with no problem. Something that both my Dengfu R12 and VB-177 also claim but is incorrect.

Here in the Midwest of America there are plenty of "Paris Roubaix-style" road races where the roads are too crappy for 25/28c tires but a gravel bike with 38c tires is complete overkill. I'm really looking forward to the versatility of this frame.

YouTube Title: VeloBuild 168 First Look - Allez Sprint Killer?

1Sigma

« Reply #1216 on: July 31, 2022, 07:18:19 AM »
Just uploaded my 168 intro video. There really isn't any "new" information in this particular video that hasn't already been shared in this thread between all of us. However, in the video I do provide evidence that 32c (road) tires fit with no problem. Something that both my Dengfu R12 and VB-177 also claim but is incorrect.

Here in the Midwest of America there are plenty of "Paris Roubaix-style" road races where the roads are too crappy for 25/28c tires but a gravel bike with 38c tires is complete overkill. I'm really looking forward to the versatility of this frame.

Great video.  Will keep an eye out for the build video
Better than average - Extra Average

renrew

« Reply #1217 on: July 31, 2022, 08:52:16 AM »
Sram DUB crank with the bearing 0 problems

hazzer19

« Reply #1218 on: July 31, 2022, 10:47:13 AM »

Great idea on checking tire clearance as one of the first things you did. I've been thinking of going wider than the 28's I have now. Hmmm

patliean1

« Reply #1219 on: July 31, 2022, 07:45:51 PM »
Wasting my money...so you don't have to. I ordered a Cane Creek 40 x 52 x 6.5mm thick headset bearing.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Cane-Creek-40-Series-Replacement-Bearing-7?loc=usa&pt_source=googleads&pt_medium=cpc&pt_campaign=&pt_keyword=&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0JiXBhCFARIsAOSAKqD5KiavDmlyikXy-rnS8JT42wdheK8OkTFBk4T1o2HT03GAJOiNRBUaAp8rEALw_wcB

Photo #1 - How the 6.5mm thick bearing looks with the FSA top cap. The gap still exists but is less noticeable.

Photo #2 - As you can see, the new headset bearing is nicely recessed into the headtube cup.

Photo #3 - A thickness comparison of each headsets: FSA, VeloBuild, and Cane Creek respectively. I'm not sure if a 6mm or even 5.5mm thick bearing exists on the market, but that would an even better option.

I should also note as others have mentioned, when replacing headset bearings it's important that the diameter is 52mm rather than 51.8mm (like the FSA bearing). This is new Cane Creek is 52 and bearing fits snug without any play whatever so ever in the cup.

Zoc

« Reply #1220 on: August 01, 2022, 01:50:03 AM »
So managed to mount the new handlebar,
worked quite fine,
brakes have to be bleeded afterwards but with a string easy to get in the handlebar

spacers look a bit cheap, its plastic
the old one from Velobuild are made of metal and definitly look better
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 01:54:57 AM by Zoc »

eucalyptus

« Reply #1221 on: August 01, 2022, 01:59:58 AM »
Did that FSA ACR top cap come with the frame?

Otherwise, the problem is that the top cap/compression ring you have is made for recessed bearing frames.

Same issue with my frame as the bearing sits too close to the top. I am not sure which frames are using the recessed method but as FSA is pushing hard and is so popular I will assume there are lots of frames :D

pearl

« Reply #1222 on: August 01, 2022, 06:49:55 AM »
However, in the video I do provide evidence that 32c (road) tires fit with no problem. Something that both my Dengfu R12 and VB-177 also claim but is incorrect.

ugh, anyone. want to trade their 168 L frame for my 177 L frame? :)

ahhh now i remember, i wanted a straight seatpost...
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 06:55:56 AM by pearl »

patliean1

« Reply #1223 on: August 01, 2022, 08:50:31 AM »
Did that FSA ACR top cap come with the frame?

Otherwise, the problem is that the top cap/compression ring you have is made for recessed bearing frames.

Same issue with my frame as the bearing sits too close to the top. I am not sure which frames are using the recessed method but as FSA is pushing hard and is so popular I will assume there are lots of frames :D

The FSA top cap is not an ACR but rather Simple Cable Routing (SRS) according to FSA's website. Did not come with the frame.

I don't really think FSA is being pushed hard in this forum. Only a few people including myself are using the FSA/ACR system due to either resolving headset play or (like me) need a separate stem/handlebar solution that doesn't require hacking up VeloBuild spacers.

OlieSimpson

« Reply #1224 on: August 01, 2022, 09:10:08 AM »
ugh, anyone. want to trade their 168 L frame for my 177 L frame? :)

ahhh now i remember, i wanted a straight seatpost...

VeloBuild put a post up on Instagram not too long ago saying they were going to produce a 0mm offset post for the VB-R-168 after the demand they've seen for the VB-R-099 they recently released.

I'm sure if you send them a message they'll let you know when it's going to be available.

pearl

« Reply #1225 on: August 01, 2022, 09:45:09 AM »
not sure if i can mentally go through the process so soon! plus rerunning internal cables... ugh

RDY

« Reply #1226 on: August 01, 2022, 01:37:28 PM »
Wasting my money...so you don't have to. I ordered a Cane Creek 40 x 52 x 6.5mm thick headset bearing.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Cane-Creek-40-Series-Replacement-Bearing-7?loc=usa&pt_source=googleads&pt_medium=cpc&pt_campaign=&pt_keyword=&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0JiXBhCFARIsAOSAKqD5KiavDmlyikXy-rnS8JT42wdheK8OkTFBk4T1o2HT03GAJOiNRBUaAp8rEALw_wcB

Photo #1 - How the 6.5mm thick bearing looks with the FSA top cap. The gap still exists but is less noticeable.

Photo #2 - As you can see, the new headset bearing is nicely recessed into the headtube cup.

Photo #3 - A thickness comparison of each headsets: FSA, VeloBuild, and Cane Creek respectively. I'm not sure if a 6mm or even 5.5mm thick bearing exists on the market, but that would an even better option.

I should also note as others have mentioned, when replacing headset bearings it's important that the diameter is 52mm rather than 51.8mm (like the FSA bearing). This is new Cane Creek is 52 and bearing fits snug without any play whatever so ever in the cup.

Funnily enough my top FSA bearing fit fine (in the 099), but maybe that's because the tolerance on the frame was out.

s3si1u

« Reply #1227 on: August 01, 2022, 02:01:01 PM »
VeloBuild put a post up on Instagram not too long ago saying they were going to produce a 0mm offset post for the VB-R-168 after the demand they've seen for the VB-R-099 they recently released.

I'm sure if you send them a message they'll let you know when it's going to be available.
Nooo don't tell me this...I don't have space for another bike! I really want a 168 and a 0 offset post would seal the deal... :D :D :D

Zoc

« Reply #1228 on: August 02, 2022, 01:56:59 AM »

that sounds great, many thanks for the info :)

Sanderman91

« Reply #1229 on: August 03, 2022, 05:19:48 AM »
I did some bikepacking trips on my previous roadbike (aluminium Cannondale). I'm considering doing a trip on my 168 aswell.

Does anyone have experience fitting bikepacking bags on a 168 frame? I know there are stories about carbon roadbikes not being suitable for bikepacking but i'm curious to know if there is anyone using their 168 for bikepacking?

I would of course protect the frame with helicopter tape where I would strap the bags. I plan on using a framebag, a seatpostbag and a handlebar bag. Most of the weight will be in the seatpostbag probably.

Thanks!