Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame  (Read 201182 times)

patliean1

Re: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame
« Reply #1275 on: August 17, 2022, 09:17:29 AM »
Thanks @eucalyptus! This really means a lot and I owe the majority of my overall Chinese frame intrigue (and troubleshooting) to the lovely folks in this very forum.

Here is a link to my latest 168 follow-up video. There's probably not a lot of new information in the video if you've spent time in this particular 168 forum/thread. But sometimes it's still nice to see a visual representation.

YouTube Search Title: Velobuild 168 Review - Answering Life's Toughest Question

hazzer19

« Reply #1276 on: August 17, 2022, 10:55:40 AM »
Thanks @eucalyptus! This really means a lot and I owe the majority of my overall Chinese frame intrigue (and troubleshooting) to the lovely folks in this very forum.

Here is a link to my latest 168 follow-up video. There's probably not a lot of new information in the video if you've spent time in this particular 168 forum/thread. But sometimes it's still nice to see a visual representation.

YouTube Search Title: Velobuild 168 Review - Answering Life's Toughest Question

Nice one! As you said, really nice to be able to see this frame built up from different angles which aren't always possible with video. Keep up the great work man.

s3si1u

« Reply #1277 on: August 17, 2022, 04:36:18 PM »
I finally received my replacement handlebars from Velobuild, check out this creative packaging, no box just a label taped to this!

I'm starting to believe this is the standard packing method for cockpit parts from China  ;D I've received saddles, seatposts, bars, rotors, and even a 105 crankset packed in a similar fashion.
I once ordered a carbon bar from a US seller and they somehow managed to stick it very tightly into a Flat Rate envelope  ???
Instagram: @aerosloth

memebike

« Reply #1278 on: August 20, 2022, 08:54:12 PM »
6 month Update: So after 2000km of riding, bike rides very well. I have ridden down some descents at 65kph+ and no issues with stability, the only reason why I dont go faster is because I'm a coward hahaha. The only negative is some paint on the front fork thru axle has like flaked away when the through axle sits against but you can only see it when the thru axle bolt is taken out.

gilj

« Reply #1279 on: August 22, 2022, 06:20:32 AM »
Received my frame today, something must have gone wrong with the fork I think, as it is not spaced 100mm between the dropouts (see picture).

In contact with Chris already so I'm sure this will get sorted. I'll update when it happens

Other than this it looks good. I'll have an update once I built it up

I seem to be getting nowhere with Chris. Did anyone have their forks being bent 2cm inwards? I don't think this carbon fork is to be trusted anymore, right? The TA is a standard 130mm TA, and it's fully threaded in on one side. So the fork is just too narrow.

bamboo_mountain

« Reply #1280 on: August 22, 2022, 06:48:00 AM »
WOW! How did that not get caught before sending it!  :o I wouldn't ride it even if you can manage to squeeze a wheel into that.

eucalyptus

« Reply #1281 on: August 22, 2022, 06:49:58 AM »
That is wild!

And I feel sketchy about my fork 2mm too wide  ???

That fork is a death trap!!! How on earth could someone thread in that axle, wrap and pack it in a box and be like "yup yup looks fine to me"

vTuga

« Reply #1282 on: August 22, 2022, 07:36:55 AM »
Hi everybody.

So I'm going to start building my first bike, and the choice has fallen on the velobuild 168 frame, size 52.

The last few days I've been ordering the parts, and they should all arrive in 3 to 4 weeks.

Groupset is going to be Sram Force AXS with hydraulic disc brakes, and the wheelset is the Elitewheels Drive 50D.

Estimated weight 7.03 kg

Super excited to get started :D

patliean1

« Reply #1283 on: August 22, 2022, 08:57:17 AM »
I seem to be getting nowhere with Chris.

Did Chris stop responding? Did VB refuse to refund or send out a new fork?

What a complete crap shoot...

gilj

« Reply #1284 on: August 22, 2022, 09:07:42 AM »
Did Chris stop responding? Did VB refuse to refund or send out a new fork?

What a complete crap shoot...

Chris is replying, but he doesn't seem to acknowledge the issue. He told me that this axle is right for a 100mm hub (something that I agree on), and that I should just try to put my wheels in the fork. The wheels haven't arrived yet (and I have no spare set of 100mm hubbed-wheels lying around, so I can't do this) but I don't know how I could place a 100mm hub wheel in a dropout that measures 82mm. I feel that we've gone in circles in that area for a few emails now, so I've asked him to escalate the issue to his manager or at least acknowledge that I have a problem. I've also mentioned that if this doesn't happen that I will have no other option than to go to Paypal to start the refund claim process. If that's succesful, then I have no idea who will have to fork over the 170USD for shipping the frame back.

Something to add: there was no visible damage on the box when delivered. The fork also has no cracked paint or anything, which I would expect if the fork was bent in transit. I have honestly no clue how this happened, as their mold will be correctly spaced. In the end, it should not be my problem either. I just want a replacement fork.

Will keep everyone up to date.

patliean1

« Reply #1285 on: August 22, 2022, 09:22:20 AM »
Chris is replying, but he doesn't seem to acknowledge the issue. He told me that this axle is right for a 100mm hub (something that I agree on), and that I should just try to put my wheels in the fork. The wheels haven't arrived yet (and I have no spare set of 100mm hubbed-wheels lying around, so I can't do this) but I don't know how I could place a 100mm hub wheel in a dropout that measures 82mm. I feel that we've gone in circles in that area for a few emails now, so I've asked him to escalate the issue to his manager or at least acknowledge that I have a problem. I've also mentioned that if this doesn't happen that I will have no other option than to go to Paypal to start the refund claim process. If that's succesful, then I have no idea who will have to fork over the 170USD for shipping the frame back.

Something to add: there was no visible damage on the box when delivered. The fork also has no cracked paint or anything, which I would expect if the fork was bent in transit. I have honestly no clue how this happened, as their mold will be correctly spaced. In the end, it should not be my problem either. I just want a replacement fork.

Will keep everyone up to date.

Wait hold up hold up...I'm confused here. I don't believe that is the correct axle length for that fork the more I look at that photo.

Just checking some of my other bikes and...well...none of them are running a 130mm length front thru axle. More like 100 to 120mm. Did we miss something in an earlier post? Has this been address already?

cramy

« Reply #1286 on: August 22, 2022, 09:44:56 AM »
according velobuild website

142x12 rear
100x12 front

gilj

« Reply #1287 on: August 22, 2022, 10:10:03 AM »
The 130mm axle length denotes the whole axle, so that includes the part that threads in on one side, and goes through the dropout on the other side. If the dropouts are 1.5cm wide each, it makes then it is the correct axle length. I'm not sure what the axle that was delivered with your 168 says, but I'd be surprised if it was not the 130mm one.

EDIT: https://www.modernbike.com/how-to-measure-bicycle-thru-axles this outlines it

patliean1

« Reply #1288 on: August 22, 2022, 10:37:28 AM »
This entire discussion about questioning the safety/integrity of the fork could have easily been avoided if:

Priority #1 - VeloBuild would have spent 5 extra seconds double checking the thru-axle hardware prior to shipment. Or if customer service (Chris) would have actually inspected the photo the customer provided to clearly see the axle being used.
Priority #2 - We as DIY bike builders evolve to quickly recognize these simple errors as soon as they pop up. Much time and frustration could have been saved on both sides.

Obviously that thru-axle is the wrong size. And I was sent a 168 frame without a seat post clamp, so I empathize with you.

It becomes problematic and dismissive when we quickly default to the "this is a safety concern / all Chinese bikes are dangerous" mentality whenever issues arise. Most times it's simply an issue of hardware (headset bearings/covers, axles, derailluer hangers)

vTuga

« Reply #1289 on: August 22, 2022, 10:54:00 AM »
This entire discussion about questioning the safety/integrity of the fork could have easily been avoided if:

Priority #1 - VeloBuild would have spent 5 extra seconds double checking the thru-axle hardware prior to shipment. Or if customer service (Chris) would have actually inspected the photo the customer provided to clearly see the axle being used.
Priority #2 - We as DIY bike builders evolve to quickly recognize these simple errors as soon as they pop up. Much time and frustration could have been saved on both sides.

Obviously that thru-axle is the wrong size. And I was sent a 168 frame without a seat post clamp, so I empathize with you.

It becomes problematic and dismissive when we quickly default to the "this is a safety concern / all Chinese bikes are dangerous" mentality whenever issues arise. Most times it's simply an issue of hardware (headset bearings/covers, axles, derailluer hangers)

I don't think the problem is the tru axle size. Its the fork spacing that is wrong. If you check most wheels require a 100x12 tru axle spacing of the fork (at least from my quick google search).