Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame  (Read 201260 times)

voshond

Re: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame
« Reply #1305 on: August 25, 2022, 02:32:56 PM »
I believe what @vTuga is ultimately asking is whether or not the fact the brake mount surfaces aren't faced, actually prevented the brake calipers from being properly aligned.

Ah, yes. They are rubbing constantly on one side and i tried to remount the brakes multiple times. I also use a rotor shim that i put between the brakes and the rotor for spacing. But no matter what, it still rubs. Only thing i can imagine is, that the surface is uneven and therefore there is a tilt in the caliper that is causing the rub.
Maybe you find my Velobuild VB-R-168 Compedium useful: Link to Google Sheets

vTuga

« Reply #1306 on: August 25, 2022, 05:57:51 PM »
Anyone else had problems like this here in the forum?

Velovelo

« Reply #1307 on: August 25, 2022, 09:00:28 PM »
Ah, yes. They are rubbing constantly on one side and i tried to remount the brakes multiple times. I also use a rotor shim that i put between the brakes and the rotor for spacing. But no matter what, it still rubs. Only thing i can imagine is, that the surface is uneven and therefore there is a tilt in the caliper that is causing the rub.

Have you tried truing the disc rotors with a rotor truing tool or long nose pliers?
I get this issue with the 177 and 099 with some brand new rotors. After truing no more rubbing.

Also check for wobbling wheel hubs / wheels etc.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 09:06:04 PM by Velovelo »

voshond

« Reply #1308 on: August 26, 2022, 11:24:28 AM »
Have you tried truing the disc rotors with a rotor truing tool or long nose pliers?
I get this issue with the 177 and 099 with some brand new rotors. After truing no more rubbing.

Also check for wobbling wheel hubs / wheels etc.

These wheels, hubs and rotors have been checked and ridden in my gravel frame before. There was 0 rub on the gravel frame and i was quite particular with my LBS to make sure everything is good. I also made sure to have everything cleaned and being spotless for installation and made sure, that when storing the wheelset, nothing was leaning on the rotors. I get super nerdy about this. it's in another shop with a facing tool now and I hope that it will work after.

Pigdog

« Reply #1309 on: August 26, 2022, 11:42:28 AM »
Anyone else had problems like this here in the forum?

Yeah I had this issue, was impossible to get the calipers to align properly as they were kinda twisted at an angle. I could get it so close, but never right. This week I took it in and got the mounts faced (cost $70 cad) and completely fixed it. Then I had the calipers set up and aligned in minutes.
At first I was a touch annoyed at Velobuild for not doing it at the factory. But since I have talked to a bunch of bike mechanics and they basically all said it’s just part of building up a brand new frame - regardless of price.
I think sometimes maybe we assume things aren’t done cause it’s a cheap frame from china. When in reality a lot of  these things and little issues are just industry wide. But when buying a complete bike, someone has already dealt with a resolved them. Obviously that’s just my opinion haha

s3si1u

« Reply #1310 on: August 26, 2022, 01:32:14 PM »
Yeah I had this issue, was impossible to get the calipers to align properly as they were kinda twisted at an angle. I could get it so close, but never right. This week I took it in and got the mounts faced (cost $70 cad) and completely fixed it. Then I had the calipers set up and aligned in minutes.
At first I was a touch annoyed at Velobuild for not doing it at the factory. But since I have talked to a bunch of bike mechanics and they basically all said it’s just part of building up a brand new frame - regardless of price.
I think sometimes maybe we assume things aren’t done cause it’s a cheap frame from china. When in reality a lot of  these things and little issues are just industry wide. But when buying a complete bike, someone has already dealt with a resolved them. Obviously that’s just my opinion haha

Agree 100%.
To those of us with build issues, buy a brand name carbon frameset and try to build it up yourself...suddenly open molds won't look so bad, many of the same issues come up. The problem is usually us :)
I've also had caliper/rotor issues and I'm never able to get the rotors to line up as good as I would like no matter how many tools and techniques I use. The bike shop always gets them spot on, though. For what they charge to do the job, I can pass on the caliper mount facing for now.

vTuga

« Reply #1311 on: August 26, 2022, 02:07:32 PM »
Do you think an unpainted frame has less chances of getting such problems? Maybe its related to the paint? I'm tempted to change my order to unpainted, if it solves these issues.

voshond

« Reply #1312 on: August 26, 2022, 02:44:43 PM »
Do you think an unpainted frame has less chances of getting such problems? Maybe its related to the paint? I'm tempted to change my order to unpainted, if it solves these issues.

I think it exaggerates the issue for sure, but i don't think these surfaces were ever treated during production after they come out of the mold. They probably are roughly prepared for paint and then leave the factory as is.

vTuga

« Reply #1313 on: August 26, 2022, 05:20:17 PM »
I think it exaggerates the issue for sure, but i don't think these surfaces were ever treated during production after they come out of the mold. They probably are roughly prepared for paint and then leave the factory as is.
Are you using those flat adapters for 160mm rotors, or are you using 140mm, mounting the calipers directly on the frame?

s3si1u

« Reply #1314 on: August 27, 2022, 01:37:51 AM »

Doubt it. Bought my VB unpainted and it gives me more brake alignment issues than my non-OM gravel bike or my gf's bike. FWIW my gf's road bike is from a big brand (Felt) and is a bit easier to set caliper alignment, but it's still not "easy" and I'm sure it could be improved by a good tech (for both bikes). Maybe find a shop with the necessary tools and see what they would charge for facing?

voshond

« Reply #1315 on: August 27, 2022, 02:29:37 AM »
Are you using those flat adapters for 160mm rotors, or are you using 140mm, mounting the calipers directly on the frame?

I use both 160 front and rear, so I’m using the adapters for both. They are OG Shimano ones.

gilj

« Reply #1316 on: August 28, 2022, 01:50:35 AM »

I had my fair share of issues:
  • Headset is absolute trash, you can still see the bearings underneath what they call a "seal". Give this 1 ride in the rain and you will grind this down. I will replace those.

I checked the bearings they sent me, mine don't have this. They also have a different color (blue), so I'm wondering if they sent me the right ones at this point.

Still waiting to hear back about my fork. I've basically told them that if they don't resolve it soon, I'll have to start the paypal process of trying to claim my money back. The only satisfactory option would be for them to send me a new fork. At this point I could even send the frame back to them to get my money back, but not sure who would have to eat the $150 USD shipping cost on that.

Let's see where this goes.

darc16

« Reply #1317 on: August 28, 2022, 03:34:47 PM »
Almost done, thus far I like it. The pedals are NOT staying just used them for the first test ride. 
Need to trim some cables
adjust the shifting
wrap the bars
raise the seat
install the real pedals
cut the fork
install bottle cages
other things I am forgetting
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 03:37:46 PM by darc16 »

vTuga

« Reply #1318 on: August 29, 2022, 09:16:47 AM »
My weight estimation sheet

If I get to the 7.1Kg without pedals, I'll be super happy  ;D
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 04:09:57 AM by vTuga »

voshond

« Reply #1319 on: August 29, 2022, 05:16:31 PM »
Here is my final build now. 8.1 kg including everything, bike computer, bottle cages (with hidden multitool), pedals, mount etc.

I think it turned out great.