Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame  (Read 201332 times)

darc16

Re: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame
« Reply #1350 on: September 03, 2022, 01:06:44 PM »
Finally done. Took it for a quick 10 mile ride and it feels faster than my CAAD 7. Still need to put on the bar tape.

Total Cost ~$1,900 USD

Frame   VeloBuild   VB-R-168 (56)
Wheels   CSC   55mm x 25mm
Brakes   Juin Tech   F1
Cranks   Shimano   Ultegra 52/39
Shifters   Shimano    105
Front Derailleur   Shimano   105
Rear Derailleur   Shimano   105
Rear Light      ROCKBROS Bike Light LED Bicycle IPx6
Cassette   Sunshine   11/32
Bottom Bracket   ZTTO   BB86
Chain   Zrace
Bottle Cages
Garmin Mount   OG Evkin   CM-005s
Tires      Continental     ULTRA SPORT III 700*28c
« Last Edit: September 03, 2022, 01:11:28 PM by darc16 »

Greenred

« Reply #1351 on: September 03, 2022, 04:32:49 PM »
I don't think that would be an issue at all looking at how easy it is to fit any headset to the Velobuild

I would recommend to buy directly from the manufacturer instead of all the resellers on Aliexpres.... I bought one and it feels pretty decent. TOP NOTCH finish, looks like any $3-400 handlebar
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/T1000-Carbon-Bike-Handlebar-Fully-Internal_1600457733782.html?spm=a2756.order-detail-ta-bn-b.0.0.3acc2fc2w9Nt1I

Note* that a 400 bar measures 400mm C-C drop to drop and actually is 385mm C-C hood to hood.

Weight is 350g for a 400x100mm bar, 337g without screws and the heavy clamping plate (cast iron or something)

Stripping the thin layer of paint saves you 5 gram.

Can you actually get single items from Alibaba? And if so, how? I thought that’s only wholesale and for retail you have aliexpress.

VanDungLe

« Reply #1352 on: September 03, 2022, 09:49:25 PM »
Finally done. Took it for a quick 10 mile ride and it feels faster than my CAAD 7. Still need to put on the bar tape.

Total Cost ~$1,900 USD

Frame   VeloBuild   VB-R-168 (56)
Wheels   CSC   55mm x 25mm
Brakes   Juin Tech   F1
Cranks   Shimano   Ultegra 52/39
Shifters   Shimano    105
Front Derailleur   Shimano   105
Rear Derailleur   Shimano   105
Rear Light      ROCKBROS Bike Light LED Bicycle IPx6
Cassette   Sunshine   11/32
Bottom Bracket   ZTTO   BB86
Chain   Zrace
Bottle Cages
Garmin Mount   OG Evkin   CM-005s
Tires      Continental     ULTRA SPORT III 700*28c
How on earth did you built with such a good price? Nice job

zxcvbnmjm

« Reply #1353 on: September 04, 2022, 01:55:11 PM »
I don't think that would be an issue at all looking at how easy it is to fit any headset to the Velobuild

I would recommend to buy directly from the manufacturer instead of all the resellers on Aliexpres.... I bought one and it feels pretty decent. TOP NOTCH finish, looks like any $3-400 handlebar
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/T1000-Carbon-Bike-Handlebar-Fully-Internal_1600457733782.html?spm=a2756.order-detail-ta-bn-b.0.0.3acc2fc2w9Nt1I

Note* that a 400 bar measures 400mm C-C drop to drop and actually is 385mm C-C hood to hood.

I just received mine two days ago! Thanks again for the review on your other thread! I ended up getting this bar for USD$100 shipped ($10 alibaba voucher and i asked for free shipping within china). And also, thanks heaps for the tip about the bar width! I was so close to accidentally ordering 400mm when i remembered you mentioning something about the bar width. Then i double checked and noticed that they measure the bar width by the width at the drops!

I was initally hesitant to buy these bars because of the weight difference between my original velobuild bars 322g and these being 350g, but the weight difference of 2cm of spacers alone almost cancels out the difference lol

I've only ridden it once indoors but the quality seems decent. If anyone is interested in how they feel, i have a race in two weeks and i can follow up with my impressions. One thing disappointing was the quality of the split spacers which dont match up very cleanly.

Anyone tried to fit "The One Pro" Handlebar to the 168?
The headset cover provided with the OEM bar (which looks like is the samE top cap provided with THE ONE PRO bar) does not fit the 168. The headset covef  is far too narrow for the 168's headtube. I had to drill allignment holes into the one set of provided spacers to make it fit with the original 168 top cap. Then I wrapped the spacers and topcap in electrical tape to cover the exposed gaps. Its not the prettiest solution but it will do for now. I will one day glue together the top cap and spacer then use a filler to fill in and make a smooth join between the two pieces

Can you actually get single items from Alibaba? And if so, how? I thought that’s only wholesale and for retail you have aliexpress.
Its possible but it depends on the seller. Some sellers offer minimums of 1 whereas others may require higher minimums. You just have to check. Also some sellers (like in this case) offer samples. Just message the seller and request a sample and they will send you an invoice
« Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 02:12:14 PM by zxcvbnmjm »

voshond

« Reply #1354 on: September 12, 2022, 09:05:26 AM »
Does anyone know the type of screw for the seatpost clamp?
It's getting colder and wetter here and i've seen the bottlecage, seatpost and seatpost clamp screws already starting to rust. For the bottlecages it's an easy replacement. For the seatpost i think i got the specs already in my sheet. However for the clamp i cannot figure out the style. I'm german, so i cannot really tell on how you would call the screw, that is basically only a thread and has a hex inserted in the screw.

Another thing is about the handlebar screws. Seems like it's M5 or M4, that has a nut that you need to put in another hex key at the other side to tighten it. I had a handlebar from china before and it had the same style. All my other stems just have threads inside of them. I cannot figure out the name of the screw either. I found one handlebar screw on Aliexpress that is titanium from "Risk", but in case that ever fails i don't want to order stuff that takes 30 days+ to eventually arrive. So if anyone knows the type of screw on the handlebars, i would greatly appreciate the name and specs!
Maybe you find my Velobuild VB-R-168 Compedium useful: Link to Google Sheets

darc16

« Reply #1355 on: September 12, 2022, 04:30:37 PM »
For the handle bar its a M5x18mm you can probably put a regular nut on the other end to hold it.

Pigdog

« Reply #1356 on: September 12, 2022, 04:43:33 PM »
Does anyone know the type of screw for the seatpost clamp?
It's getting colder and wetter here and i've seen the bottlecage, seatpost and seatpost clamp screws already starting to rust. For the bottlecages it's an easy replacement. For the seatpost i think i got the specs already in my sheet. However for the clamp i cannot figure out the style. I'm german, so i cannot really tell on how you would call the screw, that is basically only a thread and has a hex inserted in the screw.

Another thing is about the handlebar screws. Seems like it's M5 or M4, that has a nut that you need to put in another hex key at the other side to tighten it. I had a handlebar from china before and it had the same style. All my other stems just have threads inside of them. I cannot figure out the name of the screw either. I found one handlebar screw on Aliexpress that is titanium from "Risk", but in case that ever fails i don't want to order stuff that takes 30 days+ to eventually arrive. So if anyone knows the type of screw on the handlebars, i would greatly appreciate the name and specs!

For the stem I used this set and it was great for me.
C$ 17.03  36% Off | Wanyifa Titanium M5x16 18mm Blot for 3T ARX LTD Stem - Complete Titanium Bolts Hardware Upgrade Kit
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mP7Ymf6

Unfortunately no idea about the seat post, but I would like to know as well.

vTuga

« Reply #1357 on: September 13, 2022, 07:09:38 AM »
How much time did it take for you to receive the frame after it was shipped? I got my tracking code on September 3rd, but still no updates on the tracking, I'm finding it strange.

gilj

« Reply #1358 on: September 14, 2022, 03:06:35 AM »
I can't remember, but not that long for me.

I was in contact with Chris recently and they did have some covid-related delays for sending my replacement forks, it might've affected you to? Although my forks were shipped September 7th, so that's after you got your code (implying yours should be shipped to). just contact Chris.

cramy

« Reply #1359 on: September 14, 2022, 07:27:50 AM »
Chris changed it for free?

I was in contact with Chris recently and they did have some covid-related delays for sending my replacement forks, it might've affected you to? Although my forks were shipped September 7th, so that's after you got your code (implying yours should be shipped to). just contact Chris.

vTuga

« Reply #1360 on: September 14, 2022, 11:41:46 AM »

Thanks, I contacted Chris and he sent me the original tracking number, and now I can see the updates.

gilj

« Reply #1361 on: September 15, 2022, 03:05:47 AM »
Chris changed it for free?

Yes, replacement forks are on the way for free. Was going to post an update on the whole process when they arrived. The gist of it is that after some back and forth by email (it did take me a week to get my point accross), they sent me a new fork free of charge. I did get quite frustrated with the process, since I'm not sure why it took them so long to see that my fork was clearly not up to spec. In the end, if the new replacement fork is fine, it was not that bad.

I missed a cycling trip because of it (or actually this bike on a cycling trip), but that wasn't the end of the world.

vTuga

« Reply #1362 on: September 15, 2022, 06:07:47 AM »
Yes, replacement forks are on the way for free. Was going to post an update on the whole process when they arrived. The gist of it is that after some back and forth by email (it did take me a week to get my point accross), they sent me a new fork free of charge. I did get quite frustrated with the process, since I'm not sure why it took them so long to see that my fork was clearly not up to spec. In the end, if the new replacement fork is fine, it was not that bad.

I missed a cycling trip because of it (or actually this bike on a cycling trip), but that wasn't the end of the world.
That is great news. Nice to see that velobuild came through and solved the issue. That actually makes me much more confident in them.

My frame is already in EU, should arrive Monday. Can't wait.

disabnormal

« Reply #1363 on: September 15, 2022, 07:54:20 AM »
I ordered 9 frames from velobuild, most of them without any issue, but when I faced a problem, they always solved my problems.
Sometimes it may take a while.
I think if the communication is right and expectations set correctly, they will response properly.

dr Smoooth

« Reply #1364 on: September 15, 2022, 10:34:46 PM »
Question....I am going to build a 218 and use SRAM Rival etap.  Someone stated that the DUB BB is not recommended per VB, is that correct?  I will reach out to VB.