Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame  (Read 201193 times)

ENEP

Re: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame
« Reply #1365 on: September 16, 2022, 01:33:20 AM »
Question....I am going to build a 218 and use SRAM Rival etap.  Someone stated that the DUB BB is not recommended per VB, is that correct?  I will reach out to VB.

Maybe due to BSA bottom bracket.
BSA is mostly for 24mm crank axle standard. Using a DUB crank with 30mm axle will result in tiny balls in the bearing and will most likely wear out and have a shorter than normal life span.

carbonazza

« Reply #1366 on: September 16, 2022, 02:53:34 AM »
A BB86 frame has a 41mm diameter hole.
That leaves 41-29 = 12mm for the bearings + a delrin sleeve.
Small balls, tiny rings, etc.
That makes apparently a very weak assembly.

A BSA frame has the bearings outside the frame, allowing more space for the bearings.
So this one is better.

BB386( a wider PF30 ) is for me the best one.
Industrial(cheap) size bearings and light.

However from my experience on my gravel and on my MTB the SRAM BB86 DUB is surprisingly very durable.
And cheap.

vTuga

« Reply #1367 on: September 19, 2022, 06:49:48 PM »
Hi guys. Just received my frame and it all looks good. Just one thing, did you get a crown race with the headset bearings? I didn't get one, and the fork doesnt have a 45⁰ angle to rest on the bottom bearing. Is it supposed to be like this?

Edit: talked to chris and it was supposed to be a crown ring in the headset kit. I ordered one here in the EU to get it quickly.

Also, I think I have a small play in the headset. Maybe I need to cut the fork a little more. If not, I'll order some micro spacers after I get the crown race in place.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 03:47:46 AM by vTuga »

gilj

« Reply #1368 on: September 21, 2022, 09:32:59 AM »
Allright, my replacement fork finally arrived and looks fine, going to start building the bike over the next few days. Does anyone have a list of how torque specs for the handlebars, seatpost, etc?

The handlebars have this grippy bit to attach the levers, but it doesn't reach high enough, I guess I'll just put some carbon paste (and maybe even a soda can shim) a bit higher. has anyone had the same issue?

memebike

« Reply #1369 on: September 21, 2022, 09:40:10 AM »
Allright, my replacement fork finally arrived and looks fine, going to start building the bike over the next few days. Does anyone have a list of how torque specs for the handlebars, seatpost, etc?

The handlebars have this grippy bit to attach the levers, but it doesn't reach high enough, I guess I'll just put some carbon paste (and maybe even a soda can shim) a bit higher. has anyone had the same issue?

Vashond has a google sheet with torque settings in this thread. Good luck with the build!

dr Smoooth

Re: Velobuild VB-R-186
« Reply #1370 on: September 21, 2022, 09:36:10 PM »
today first parts of my sram force Etap has atrived
unforunately no news on the frame and wheels

What BB did you get?

gilj

« Reply #1371 on: September 22, 2022, 04:15:25 AM »
What BB did you get?

Not the person you were asking, but I got a similar setup (full sram rival), and it's the sram dub pressfit BB.

I keep reading mixed things about it, some say it's not reliable in theory because of smaller bearings, some say it lasted them forever. I'm expecting it wont last me as long as a BB for a 24mm spindle, but whatever.

vTuga

« Reply #1372 on: September 22, 2022, 01:37:04 PM »
Not the person you were asking, but I got a similar setup (full sram rival), and it's the sram dub pressfit BB.

I keep reading mixed things about it, some say it's not reliable in theory because of smaller bearings, some say it lasted them forever. I'm expecting it wont last me as long as a BB for a 24mm spindle, but whatever.

I got the same BB. Its cheap, so if it fails it wont be too dificult to replace.

Zdrenka89

« Reply #1373 on: September 23, 2022, 04:39:44 AM »
I've done 6000+ km on that bottom bracket in the last year. Gravel and road. No problems so far.

bamboo_mountain

« Reply #1374 on: September 23, 2022, 12:22:56 PM »
Has anyone tried different handlebars but still using the Velobuild carbon stem? I'm considering trying some FSA energy compact bars because they have the required hole for routing cables through the stem. I've also seen the Prime Doyenne mentioned.

Update: I went ahead and ordered the Prime Doyenne
« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 09:44:20 AM by bamboo_mountain »

Queen of Skulls

« Reply #1375 on: September 24, 2022, 05:19:22 AM »
Yep they are the goldix 24mm crankarms.  Ordered before tracevelo video was posted. Before his video I was concerned with the hollow cranks.  He just added another layer to be cautious about.

Once I get replacement crankarms, if these suck, or they fail I'll post up.  I have 7000 crankarms so I'm can swap at any point.

How are those crankarms treating you. I saw them on ali but was unsure. As I am like 95kgs. I am sure I can make them toast if anyone can.

But what is your option?
Off with your Head tubes...

If the girls dont find you pretty they should at least find you handy...

[color #FE0000]P[/color][color #FDA601]R[/color][color #FFFF01]I[/color][color #008000]D[/color][color #1614E4]E[/color][color #80007E]!!!![/color]

kbike

« Reply #1376 on: September 24, 2022, 03:52:23 PM »
There are quite a few lightweight options for crankarms. There is a few thread here on them.   The goldix are the cheapest choice.  The other options end up $150+. At that price fsa or sram become an option.

I've used the goldix arms on gravel rides a couple times. I have two road bikes that use them and I don't worry. Usually for gravel I just use my 105 cranks even though it's 150-200 grams heavier. Just for peace of mind. The hollow arm design plus being 24mm aluminum axle still worries me.

Eboht

« Reply #1377 on: September 26, 2022, 10:24:33 AM »
Hi Everyone - tall rider question here.

I have spoken to Chris/Chris's regarding frame sizing (VB 168/199) - as i'm quite tall (1,96) with most of the height in my legs. My current bike has a seat rail-to-crank distance of 84 CM. With the VB 168 (56cm) frame the 40cm seatpost will have to come out to the max (10cm left in the seat-tube). It also means it will stick out by a good 30CM + saddle.

That might look quite odd but not technically an issue.

Any other tall riders on a 168? I might have to look at other frames that come in larger sizing/longer seat tubes.

Queen of Skulls

« Reply #1378 on: September 26, 2022, 03:13:19 PM »
Hi Everyone - tall rider question here.

I have spoken to Chris/Chris's regarding frame sizing (VB 168/199) - as i'm quite tall (1,96) with most of the height in my legs. My current bike has a seat rail-to-crank distance of 84 CM. With the VB 168 (56cm) frame the 40cm seatpost will have to come out to the max (10cm left in the seat-tube). It also means it will stick out by a good 30CM + saddle.

That might look quite odd but not technically an issue.

Any other tall riders on a 168? I might have to look at other frames that come in larger sizing/longer seat tubes.

Dang, I was looking at the 56 and slamming the seat post to the ground. and Buying the longest stem I can find hopefully 150mm or bigger. Actually this is my strategy for all the frames. Buy the biggest frame I can get away with slight adjustment in the seat.  then slam the seat and super long stem. I am 184ish.  I am all torso.
Off with your Head tubes...

If the girls dont find you pretty they should at least find you handy...

[color #FE0000]P[/color][color #FDA601]R[/color][color #FFFF01]I[/color][color #008000]D[/color][color #1614E4]E[/color][color #80007E]!!!![/color]

Eboht

« Reply #1379 on: September 26, 2022, 03:21:17 PM »
Thanks - yeah, quite the opposite here. Inseam of 96 cm or so. Really like the look of the 168 though, but wish it was slightly larger - especially the seat tube.