Author Topic: Xoss/iGPSport, other computer companies?  (Read 5181 times)

Irideslowly

Re: Xoss/iGPSport, other computer companies?
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2022, 11:12:46 AM »
and here is a review of it :

1Sigma

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2022, 05:21:03 AM »
Looks like they posted it to their main site too.

https://magenefitness.com/product_l508.html

Although, looks like they either accidentally buried or removed their eCommerce functionality with their recent site upgrade…
Better than average - Extra Average

carbonazza

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2022, 10:24:52 AM »
I did order it today on aliexpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004540845201.html
The EUR/USD hurts but after riding with a friend with a Varia, I'm convinced it helps when riding solo.
And I like the brand.

1Sigma

« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2022, 09:17:12 PM »
I did order it today on aliexpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004540845201.html
The EUR/USD hurts but after riding with a friend with a Varia, I'm convinced it helps when riding solo.
And I like the brand.

I look forward to your thoughts! 
I’d grab it too, but it’s not compatible with my low-tech C406 (non-pro) computer

1Sigma

« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2022, 07:00:56 PM »
And I like the brand.

Hi Carbonazza,
What head unit do you use?
The unit lists compatible devices, but I wonder if it works with the Karoo2.
For example the Varia doesn’t list the Karoo as compatible with the Varia, but it still is.

UPDATE: I’ve confirmed with iGPSports that the IGS630 is currently not compatible with the Varia or Magene unit.  I just lost my C406 yesterday in a group ride, so I am shopping around for a new unit. Was hoping to keep the 100% made in China experiment going.  Guess I’ll have to break with that for the sake of a new unit.  Maybe Garmin or Hammerhead?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 08:17:41 AM by 1Sigma »

StiffWeenies

« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2022, 05:43:17 AM »
Hilldating HTD1

It's interesting because it's Android based, perhaps one could sideload apps like the Strava APK? I know that the Cadence app supports Varia and Assioma. However, those features are locked behind in-app subscriptions so sideloading may pose an issue.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 06:44:54 AM by StiffWeenies »

1Sigma

« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2022, 06:09:33 AM »
Hilldating HTD1

It's interesting because it's Android based, perhaps one could sideload apps like the Strava APK? I know that the Cadence app supports Varia and Assioma. My preferred Cyclemeter app for Apple Watch doesn't though.

Very interesting!
I just bought the Karoo 2 for the same reason - it’s android based. (And you can sideload apps to it)
I wonder if they’ll make in international market version.

carbonazza

« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2022, 06:01:00 AM »
Hi Carbonazza,
What head unit do you use?

The Karoo 2, and it seems to work well.
The pairing was instant.
It detects the cars behind, show a left bar with color codes based on distance.
And I got an alert on screen when I turned the light off.
I'll do more testing end of August, and check if there are more advanced options.

1Sigma

« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2022, 08:23:03 PM »
The Karoo 2, and it seems to work well.
The pairing was instant.
It detects the cars behind, show a left bar with color codes based on distance.
And I got an alert on screen when I turned the light off.
I'll do more testing end of August, and check if there are more advanced options.

Good to hear, as I not only just bought the Karoo 2, but also purchased 20 L508s….

jannmayer

« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2022, 08:58:53 AM »
I've had my iGPSPORT i50S for a few months now and am generally impressed. It's a fairly basic GPS/Beidou computer that can interface to a heart rate monitor, cadence sensor, and wheel speed sensor, but not a power monitor. The screen is a simple LCD display with no maps or navigation. I ordered a package that included the heart rate, cadence, and wheel speed sensors as well as a mount.

The good:
  • Garmin-style mounts are cheap and easy to find.
  • Speed, distance, and elevation calculations are all fairly close to what I've calculated with other means.
  • It was easy to pair the device with the sensors, and the connectivity has generally been good.
  • Battery life seems pretty good. It could easily last an entire day of riding.
  • It's durable. I left it on the roof of my car and it fell off when I went around a corner. I found it a couple days later, lying in the gutter. There's just a minor scratch or two.
  • iGPSPORT has good tech support. I've emailed them twice with questions and got useful answers within 24 hours in both cases.

The not as good:
  • It seems to lose GPS reception easily when riding in forested areas. I've had a couple rides where the reception drops out and recovers a few seconds later, and it happens repeatedly. The beep when this happens gets annoying, although the total distance still seemed accurate. (I did not have the wheel speed sensor on the bike at this time. There aren't many trees where I usually ride, so this isn't a big issue for me.)
  • When I first got it, it reset itself periodically during a ride. I emailed iGPSPORT and they suggested a software update, which fixed the issue.
  • The app is a bit unpolished. Some of the screens are awkward to use, and there are some issues working in miles.
  • The "odometer" on the computer is not adjustable, and there is no support for multiple bikes on the computer itself. However, you can download the recorded rids with the app and then assign them to different bikes. The app will then show the cumulative distance for each bike.
Overall, I'd happily buy it again. The wheel speed sensor isn't essential, but it does allow it to detect motion and start recording more quickly than when on GPS alone. It should also help when there are satellite reception issues.