Author Topic: Groupset News  (Read 48695 times)

00Garza

Re: Groupset News
« Reply #165 on: February 03, 2023, 06:03:55 PM »
Bikeradar had a review of the new Superstrata 3d printed road bike which has the L-TWOO GR9 mechanical group. They weren't very impressed with the ergonomics or the shifting.

https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes/road-bikes/superstrata-classic-review/

The review makes for interesting reading. Basically, that bike is $2800 but features incredibly cheap components, terrible geometry, and it's incredibly heavy for a road bike.

That bike looks like it was engineered by people who don’t actually ride bikes.
And as mentioned, the thumb shifter on the mechanical group is terrible. The hydro thumb shifter is placed like campagnolo, which is why I was interested in it. I rode campy chorus on my Chinese carbon road bike back in the day.

« Reply #166 on: February 03, 2023, 07:40:05 PM »
Bikeradar had a review of the new Superstrata 3d printed road bike which has the L-TWOO GR9 mechanical group. They weren't very impressed with the ergonomics or the shifting.

The review makes for interesting reading. Basically, that bike is $2800 but features incredibly cheap components, terrible geometry, and it's incredibly heavy for a road bike.

Yeah, I saw that review. That bike is heavier than my current frankenbike which is a Giant hybrid that I've converted to be as light and fast as possible, which still isn't very light. Who on earth would pay $2800 for that?

00Garza

« Reply #167 on: February 04, 2023, 06:13:42 PM »
Supposedly the Sensah hydro group will be dropping soon. Hopefully competition will push prices down.

RDY

« Reply #168 on: February 05, 2023, 04:08:06 AM »
It's not 3D printed it's a thermoplastic mold.  Thermoplastics are always going to be heavier than laminated cf, but I don't think the odd design helps with the weight.

If this was an experimental bike from one of the major brands, BR would have given it 4 stars at least, even if it was double the price with Sora.

StiffWeenies

« Reply #169 on: February 07, 2023, 01:20:11 AM »
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 01:25:42 AM by StiffWeenies »

RDY

« Reply #170 on: February 07, 2023, 09:11:42 AM »

carbonazza

« Reply #171 on: February 07, 2023, 10:03:33 AM »
That looks pretty rough ... hopefully proto.
Yes, like a 3D print. And chunky.

jonathanf2

« Reply #172 on: February 07, 2023, 12:39:38 PM »
I wish Sensah would improve their grip design. They're shaped like Shimano 1st generation 11 speed shifters.

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #173 on: February 07, 2023, 12:43:33 PM »

Looks DIY. Some wireless sensors integrated in a 3d printed Sensah lever.

kbike

« Reply #174 on: February 07, 2023, 01:02:01 PM »
Looks like a pcb board is stuck on the shifter with red tape or plastic wrapping.

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #175 on: February 07, 2023, 01:06:12 PM »
Yeah, I like the way it looks if it is a DIY, but would not like to be in a fast descend with a DIY lever  :o

StiffWeenies

« Reply #176 on: February 08, 2023, 12:16:46 PM »

I don't think they'll invest in the tooling for a new Rim hood shape. The electronic rim levers are most likely just going to be an adapted version of the existing mechanical one.

The test bike pictured appears to be 1x with only the right lever electronic and the left mechanical. This suggests that the shifting logic will be FSA K-Force WE-style with a rocker switch.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 04:11:24 PM by StiffWeenies »

« Reply #177 on: February 17, 2023, 12:53:53 PM »
Yeah, I like the way it looks if it is a DIY, but would not like to be in a fast descend with a DIY lever  :o

It's obviously a prototype, you want to 3dprint stuff/parts and just wire electronics together in a hacky way to see if things work first. Final product look and feel will be completely different, with electronics hidden and whatnot. For debugging purposes it's much easier for companies to have the electronics bare so they can replace/fix stuff quickly than having to dismantle a shifter.

StiffWeenies

« Reply #178 on: February 22, 2023, 12:40:47 PM »
Wheel Top EDS TX prototype & potential hydraulic caliper

Wheel Top EDS TX Rim lever, FD & RD weights (incl. batteries)

future Sensah mechanical RD prototype

L-TWOO eRX FD & RD weights

« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 06:38:37 AM by StiffWeenies »

dsveddy

« Reply #179 on: February 27, 2023, 09:08:16 PM »

$2800 for that thing???  ;D ;D ;D ;D Absolute bottom tier garbage kit on it. I'm pretty sure trace velo has put together nicer builds for less than $1500