Author Topic: Groupset News  (Read 48698 times)

TidyDinosaur

Re: Groupset News
« Reply #150 on: January 08, 2023, 02:48:02 PM »
I also look forward to more L-Twoo groupsets, but they'll have to lower the price. Currently, I can buy a GRX 600 groupset for the same price as an L-Twoo RX, so why would I take the risk...

Yeah, at 150eur for a groupset you can take the risk, but at current prices for the hydraulic ltwoo and the propably even higher prices for electronic the risk /reward ratio is just too high...

00Garza

« Reply #151 on: January 09, 2023, 11:30:35 AM »
I also look forward to more L-Twoo groupsets, but they'll have to lower the price. Currently, I can buy a GRX 600 groupset for the same price as an L-Twoo RX, so why would I take the risk...

Where?! GRX group similar to what ltwoo offers is about twice as much from my searching.

svanimpe

« Reply #152 on: January 09, 2023, 11:45:58 AM »
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005035614566.html

-> Totals €641 including shipping and estimated VAT, but excluding additional import taxes I'll face.

https://www.bike-components.de/en/Shimano/GRX-RX600-1x11-40-Groupset-p72045/

-> Currently starts at €680, or €730 for 2x, in stock, with low shipping costs (pretty much free, as I order there regularly anyway).

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #153 on: January 09, 2023, 01:03:35 PM »
You are comparing 11sp to 12sp...

But I would not mind paying a couple 100eur extra to get a reputable brand over being a testing Guinea pig for ltwoo..
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 01:36:29 PM by TidyDinosaur »

00Garza

« Reply #154 on: January 09, 2023, 01:24:08 PM »
Yeah, hadn't realized lower end grx was available on Ali. Even found some tiagra for a great deal. The times I searched grx it seemed way overpriced.

Unfortunately that other components site won't ship to US. (weeps in yankee)  :'(

svanimpe

« Reply #155 on: January 09, 2023, 04:03:24 PM »
You are comparing 11sp to 12sp...

I would honestly rather have 11sp than 12sp on these Chinese groupsets. They're implementing 12sp by going outside of the limits of the Shimano spec, so you have zero guarantees that the groupset will even work on your wheelset. The cassette may end up too close to the hub or spokes for it to work properly. And going to a different speed means upgrading the cassettes on my spare wheelsets and Kickr as well..

For what benefit? Are we all that bothered by the "large" jumps on our 2x11 setup? Even with my 11-34 cassettes, 11sp works fine for me. Only for 1x setups would I benefit from more speeds.

So I don't consider 12sp to be added value :)

raisinberry777

« Reply #156 on: January 09, 2023, 06:01:09 PM »
In fairness to L-TWOO, they also released the hydraulic groupset at their R9, 11 speed level which looks basically identical (it definitely seems to include the new front derailleur with tension adjuster looking at box photos). The only downside is that it's only slightly cheaper than the 12 speed version.

00Garza

« Reply #157 on: January 09, 2023, 09:11:02 PM »
I’m hoping they make an 11s version of the gravel group.

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #158 on: January 10, 2023, 07:17:29 AM »
I would honestly rather have 11sp than 12sp on these Chinese groupsets. They're implementing 12sp by going outside of the limits of the Shimano spec, so you have zero guarantees that the groupset will even work on your wheelset. The cassette may end up too close to the hub or spokes for it to work properly. And going to a different speed means upgrading the cassettes on my spare wheelsets and Kickr as well..

Agreed, but for an apples to apples comparison you would have to compare 12 speed to 12 speed....

I have just checked Bike24 and you can get GRX 600 1x11 shifters with the 800 series disc-brakes and a GRX 11 speed derailleur for a little over 400 eur. This would mean you can get a middle of the range GRX for about the same price as the 1x11 LTWOO set... I know what I would choose :)

ChrisB

« Reply #159 on: January 17, 2023, 03:48:54 AM »
...and we have Tracevelo at it again....

https://www.youtube.com/embed/WBccKimHVXo

BR Chris
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 03:50:38 AM by ChrisB »

jonathanf2

« Reply #160 on: January 17, 2023, 12:31:49 PM »
...and we have Tracevelo at it again....

https://www.youtube.com/embed/WBccKimHVXo

BR Chris

Funny, I just swapped my LTwoo GR9 mechanical shifters for Sensah Team Pro Shimano compatible shifters on my 1x road bike. There's no problem with the shifting, the problem is that there's no way to tune the brake levers properly. My BR-005 feel way better on Sensah mechanical brakes. Also he's right about the cable routing with the GR9 RD. I even have a frame that has the cable exiting to the side as opposed to the rear and the routing is still convoluted.

My opinion now is to stick with Sensah if you want to stay with cable braking. Plus with the Team Pro shifters you can still pair them up with Shimano derailleurs.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 12:33:33 PM by jonathanf2 »

ritxis

« Reply #161 on: January 27, 2023, 01:49:09 PM »
Definitely SRAM like.
They have the same pairing buttons behind the paddle.
There is a battery on the front derailleur.
It looks the rear derailleur can be charged too, but the battery looks to be hidden behind in the pictures, or very small.

I think having read somewhere SRAM had a patent on having the batteries on the derailleurs, making them the only one 100% wireless. Forcing Shimano to have a wire between the derailleurs, or there is another reason?

Shimano also patents changes with battery... Sram can patent "its" battery, "its" clamping and similar things, but I don't see why other brands can't use removable batteries... Shimano has its satellite buttons ( patented ones are supposed) did not Sram take out his Blips?

carbonazza

« Reply #162 on: January 28, 2023, 04:08:43 AM »
Shimano also patents changes with battery... Sram can patent "its" battery, "its" clamping and similar things, but I don't see why other brands can't use removable batteries... Shimano has its satellite buttons ( patented ones are supposed) did not Sram take out his Blips?

There are strange patents like a 24mm axle between two bearings belongs to Shimano.
So came BB30 & Co, GXP, DUB,... giving us all kind of compatibility troubles.

For the wireless, it isn't clear. Plenty of legend like mine on forums.
https://bikerumor.com/sram-electronic-drivetrain-patents-show-wireless-road-mountain-bike-designs/ has a good overview but nothing on batteries.

It is strange Shimano and others are coming with semi-wireless, while they could do the same as SRAM.
Easier to setup and maintain, cheap batteries, that you can swap between components in case your derailleur is flat.
I don't see an advantage, except a longer battery life maybe, of a wired battery in the frame.

jannmayer

« Reply #163 on: February 03, 2023, 01:08:12 PM »
Bikeradar had a review of the new Superstrata 3d printed road bike which has the L-TWOO GR9 mechanical group. They weren't very impressed with the ergonomics or the shifting.

https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes/road-bikes/superstrata-classic-review/

The review makes for interesting reading. Basically, that bike is $2800 but features incredibly cheap components, terrible geometry, and it's incredibly heavy for a road bike.

mirphak

« Reply #164 on: February 03, 2023, 02:15:10 PM »
The downshift should shifter is not located in the same place. Cannot extrapolate this to the hydraulic levers