Author Topic: Epic Evo Clone  (Read 35624 times)

wwwru

Re: Epic Evo Clone
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2023, 11:04:38 AM »
what bearings(MAX or not) are used in the frame? what quality are the bolts and axles?

Pivot hardware looks fine as well as the axle. I will not be getting into the bearings unless there are issues.

emu26

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2023, 01:01:01 PM »
Pivot hardware looks fine as well as the axle. I will not be getting into the bearings unless there are issues.

It is generally good practice with chinese frames to strip them down, grease everything and then torque it all properly.

wwwru

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2023, 02:38:13 PM »
It is generally good practice with chinese frames to strip them down, grease everything and then torque it all properly.

I see. I did check the tq and everything was tight at the pivot assembly. This is my first open mold, so I guess I will undo everything and at least grease it. Don't think I will be pressing the bearings out to lock tight them in place unless they fall out.

I will post an update here when I get into it.

wwwru

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2023, 08:05:10 AM »
what bearings(MAX or not) are used in the frame? what quality are the bolts and axles?

I don't think they are MAX type bearings, but I do think they are of decent quality. Some of them are stamped "Japan". All hardware is also decent quality.

wwwru

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2023, 08:13:40 AM »
Upon further investigation, I don't think this is an EVO clone. I think this is a regular epic with a modified yoke to fit a regular shock. The linkage design is very similar to the regular epic.

There is a blank hole at the end of the chainstay for the brain unit (plugged with a rubber cap. Also, there are clamps on the chainstay for the brain hose.

Its hard to measure the frame size, but I believe that I am getting reach and stack numbers similar to the regular Large epic as well....470 reach, 605 stack. I will try to verify the angles once I assemble the seat post and the fork.

EDIT: I will check the reach/stack numbers again when the fork is installed.  I do think that epic and epic EVO share the same front tringles.

Overall though, the frame appears to be of good quality with descent hardware. Most of the hardware matches the OE Epic sizes, but not all.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 06:17:37 PM by wwwru »

Technic

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2023, 10:11:26 AM »
Some vendors, like Allstars, are already selling the version with the modified frame and no brain hole, to be like the Evo.

Any experience with allstars?

wwwru

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2023, 07:21:27 PM »
Some vendors, like Allstars, are already selling the version with the modified frame and no brain hole, to be like the Evo.

Any experience with allstars?

Do you have a link to the website?

Linkage is still similar to the regular epic, whether it really matters I do not know. But the rear triangle looks to be reworked to eliminate the brain hole.

Technic

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2023, 01:44:17 AM »
Yes, the brain hole is removed.

https://www.allstarbicycle.com/

Flo7

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2023, 09:03:55 AM »
Hi

The Frame is not the EVO! You can see at the linkage...

wwwru

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2023, 12:23:57 PM »
Little further research showed that the regular epic has a much smaller leverage ratio at 2:1 vs almost 3:1 on the EVO. I am working to fit the 190x45 shock into this frame to see what the actual rear travel is with this frame.

Technic

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2023, 07:26:20 AM »
Is it worth buying this painting with the brain hole removed?

wwwru

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2023, 06:11:01 PM »
Is it worth buying this painting with the brain hole removed?

Only if you want to build a regular Epic. With the specified shock (40-50 stroke, unclear in the listing) you will get under 100mm of rear travel.
Epic gets 100mm of travel with 52.5mm stroke. I haven't tested to see is that will fit in this frame. Chain stays on the regular Epic are shorter as well, so if you put a longer than 100mm fork on the front, the bike will want to wheelie more on the climbs. Epic EVO combats this by making chain stays longer.

It's only worth it if you want a pure 100/100 XC bike.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 06:12:49 PM by wwwru »

plloppii

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2023, 01:06:45 PM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one who jumped on this!

I actually got in contact with a sales rep on whatsapp.
I along with some of the folks on this sub love the thrill of a good deal, and rocking a frame thats a fraction of the big names frames. Plus im chinese and love supporting my brothers in them factories.

I got my frame today from AWST on aliexpress, and I requested the epic evo rear triangle, the one without the brain out back.
The frame seems pretty good, I cant find anything visually incorrect from the OG, but thats just a first glance over.

While the outside looks good, the inside looks a bit rough. You can see the pictures I attached of the inside of the headset.
Weights to come.

I hope I along with some of the other folks here can provide some decent information on the frame, as there seems like there has been some interest, just no one jumped on it til now.

wwwru

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2023, 01:29:06 PM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one who jumped on this!

I actually got in contact with a sales rep on whatsapp.
I along with some of the folks on this sub love the thrill of a good deal, and rocking a frame thats a fraction of the big names frames. Plus im chinese and love supporting my brothers in them factories.

I got my frame today from AWST on aliexpress, and I requested the epic evo rear triangle, the one without the brain out back.
The frame seems pretty good, I cant find anything visually incorrect from the OG, but thats just a first glance over.

While the outside looks good, the inside looks a bit rough. You can see the pictures I attached of the inside of the headset.
Weights to come.

I hope I along with some of the other folks here can provide some decent information on the frame, as there seems like there has been some interest, just no one jumped on it til now.

Nice. Looks good. Just be aware that the linkage is regular epic.

plloppii

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2023, 09:54:48 PM »
Nice. Looks good. Just be aware that the linkage is regular epic.

Yeah I'm a bit disappointed about that. I just found that out haha.

Also looks like the rear triangle is different from the evo otherwise i was thinking of just buying the linkage for the epic evo.