Author Topic: Disconnecting hydraulic hoses  (Read 380 times)

Serge_K

Disconnecting hydraulic hoses
« on: May 14, 2024, 02:45:15 AM »
Hello! Question, given i started using hydraulic brakes only this year.
On 1 bike, i have to invert left and right brakes.
On another, i plan to travel with the bike, so i assume i'll have to disconnect the brake hoses (ltwoo er9)

Question: do you automatically have to use a new barbs & olive every time you disconnect the hose from the shifter? Which presumably also means you have to shorten the hose every time you do that? Or you leave the barb but put a new olive? Or can you re-use the olive?
Also, i dont think i have such spares for ltwoo, what's a good source for these bits?
How do you seal the open end of the hose for travel without it leaking oil everywhere?
Is the barb + olive thing applies on both ends of hoses? I haven't tried to disconnect the hose from the brake calipers.
I do have a bleed kit with the right fittings.
Thanks!

kbernstein

Re: Disconnecting hydraulic hoses
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2024, 03:35:48 AM »
You MAY be able to reuse barbs and olive if you can get it out and if you haven't tightened the olive too much but it's heavily recommended to cut and put new barb/olive as you likely lose some seal. This is why you are often advised to leave as much hose as possible in the bike. If crimped properly the olive shouldn't come off anyway
You can pick up a pack of olive/barb/hose kits for 4 bucks on ali, or for 30 at your LBS who will urge you not to get them from aliexpress as they might explode. The olives are universal afaik but the barbs and hoses are not, i think the standard Ltwoo uses is BH59, same as shimano road
You seal the open hoses with a toothpick
And yes both ends of the hose have a barb and an olive

Serge_K

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2024, 02:08:13 PM »
Clear, thank you!

jonathanf2

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2024, 06:49:53 PM »
I'm curious with the hydraulic hoses on fully internal frames. On semi-internal frames you can just detach the stem/bar from the bike and pack the bar sideways next to the frame in a box.

On fully internal frames, is this not an option for travel? Do you have to detach the hoses for travel? Sounds like a big hassle if that's the case.

Serge_K

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2024, 01:37:36 AM »
I'm curious with the hydraulic hoses on fully internal frames. On semi-internal frames you can just detach the stem/bar from the bike and pack the bar sideways next to the frame in a box.

On fully internal frames, is this not an option for travel? Do you have to detach the hoses for travel? Sounds like a big hassle if that's the case.

That's maybe the biggest drawback of fully integrated bikes: you can't travel with them w/o major headache. There are rigid bike boxes where you dont have to detach the bars, precisely because of that (VERY expensive and take a ton of space when not in use).
It is changing a bit in that you have an increasing number of options that are fully integrated AND allow to detach the stem w/o unplugging everything, but it will take years to trickle down. There's a question of stiffness too: my integrated cockpit is super stiff. If tomorrow they start selling a version with more convenient cable integration, it may be a pool noodle.

Sebastian

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2024, 01:52:43 AM »
has anyone ever tried these quick connectors for hydro lines? I've been eyeing these when building my bike up but ended up not using them.
But they could be a good solution. My bike has the hydro lines showing under the stem. You could put the quick connectors there and just detach the bars.

Ludo

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2024, 12:52:25 PM »
I saw them on gmbn video or another YouTuber last week, looks interesting