Author Topic: Recommendations for a reliable carbon dropbar (not integrated cockpit)?  (Read 248 times)

biceryder

I tried searching but didn’t get what I was looking for.

I have a project and I’m strongly considering a set of EXS 175 drop bars.  Before I drop the money I’d like to know if anyone here has some good recommendations for something similar on Aliexpress or elsewhere that is in the 2-220gram range. 

My suspicion is that the Ryet and OG-EVKIN bars listed at 210-220g might be a real gamble for the price.

Takiyaki

Re: Recommendations for a reliable carbon dropbar (not integrated cockpit)?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2024, 10:54:16 AM »
Never had problems with Kovelco (however you spell it). Not super light but we're talking maybe 100-150g

jonathanf2

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2024, 04:56:43 PM »
I'm using RXL drop bars and the 38mm weighs 200g for the flared version. Only cost $35-40 USD on AliEx. I have them on both my road bikes paired to a 90g UNO lightweight stem. No issues at all.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803093583495.html
« Last Edit: September 20, 2024, 04:59:47 PM by jonathanf2 »

biceryder

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2024, 07:12:10 PM »
I guess that is where my hesitation has been.  RXL, Kocvelo, etc.  Are those dropbars tested (by end users) and reliable.  I’m very familiar with UNO Kalloy stems.  That’s the type of product I find AliExpress really good for.  I just wasn’t sure if the carbon bars were to be trusted. 

For record, I ride a lot mostly for fitness but enjoy training for competitive events.  Not putting down massive watt sprints but I do some standing climbs and short burst intervals.  Right now I’m running Zipp service course 80 bars.  They are about 285-300g.  At 38cm the width is right but I need a 70cm drop.  Figured this would be a good opportunity to drop 100g off my bike.

jonathanf2

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2024, 09:05:15 PM »
Depends on your weight I guess. At least for me being sub 70kg, the RXL bars have been fine. I do a lot of out saddle sprints and climbs with no problems. As long as you torque your stem bolts properly, they should hold up fine. I'm running a -17° degree stem, so I prefer the separate bar+stem combo.

Unlike some people, most my AliEx purchases have been very good. There hasn't been many issues with the equipment I've used.

Sminchnz

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2024, 09:21:45 PM »
I've been using an Evkin bar for a year and it's been fine so far. I definitely keep an eye on it and agree that it must be a little dodgy vs a western brand at 10x the price, but I haven't died yet. I think it juat comes down to your tolerance for risk.

My rule is to only buy parts that have hundreds of sales and a good rating, which Evkin seems to manage. For this or similar parts I'd only buy them from the official store.

PLA

It’s so clearly a LARP of an aero bike.