Author Topic: Super wide aero rims like ZIPP 303 XPLRs?  (Read 1060 times)

repoman

Super wide aero rims like ZIPP 303 XPLRs?
« on: October 07, 2024, 12:18:52 PM »
Anyone know if there are any OEMs making something like the 303 XPLRs? I know 9Velo has a 45mm deep 32mm wide, nothing in the neighborhood of 40mm like the XPLRs.

nis240sxt

Re: Super wide aero rims like ZIPP 303 XPLRs?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2024, 12:48:11 PM »
Try lightbicycle and wheelsfar.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2024, 01:39:45 PM by nis240sxt »

BeR

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2024, 12:56:12 PM »
Wheelsfar.

bremerradkurier

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2024, 02:09:34 PM »
Maybe direct from China won't be as flat-o-matic as the original.

https://bikerumor.com/zipp-303-xplr-sw-gravel-wheels/

My first ride was on lighter gravel with mostly road to and from. The wheels felt nice on the pavement; they spun up fast, held speed, didn’t pull in the wind, and were as stiff as any gravel wheel I could remember.

However, when I hit the gravel, the flats started. I immediately got a small cut that was too much for my Orange Seal. I plugged it with a Dyna-Plug and cursed my luck. Another 10 minutes later, another flat, this time in front.

Same deal; Dyna-plugged it and moved on. Then I noticed I was hitting the rim nearly the entire time. The pressure was above what the SRAM calculator recommended (to be on the safe side). But yet the tire was bottoming out and hitting the sharp rim bead while leaning the bike.

This was a common theme for the next hour or so until a cut so large required a tube and tire boot. I decided to steer clear of the gravel and ride the road home. This ride ended with four fixable flats and one that required a tire boot – I was not impressed.

Serge_K

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2024, 02:10:47 PM »
Peter makes the D50CU-36, which is 36.6mm wide, 28 internal, 50 deep. A friend of mine has a ROVAL front wheel that measures 36mm.
Haven't seen wider.
Peter's on the forum, xiamen carbon speed, you can ping him on whatsapp for a quote.
Fast on the flat. And nowhere else.

toxin

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2024, 02:38:02 PM »
Nobody makes anything close to that

Sebastian

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2024, 03:13:51 PM »
I think manufacturers need to start looking at external and internal rim width independent from each other. The super wide Rovals are the only rims that really seem to do that. Sure, you can argue that making gravel rims as wide as a gravel tire provides aero benefits, just like with road rims. But you can't increase internal width infinitely alongside that. Especially in a discipline that requires the tire to flex and at least be able to somewhat squirm under load. Also, it unnecessarily exposes the rim's sidewall to impacts.
All this is less of an issue with road rims due to the much higher pressures and surface tension in a road tire. But with 42s at somewhere between 25-35psi you can't count on the tire to be that stiff. Plus we're talking offroad riding, rocks and sometimes roots. It's just asking for trouble. Which that review demonstrated very well.

My gravel rims are hookless and 25mm internally mated to 40mm tires. That's a great combo, but increasing inner width even more makes for a more and more exposed tire sidewall. If you're mainly riding asphalt and the occasionall silky smooth dirtroad, then no problem. But if you're looking for a go anywhere kind of setup, that's not a good idea.

sync1

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2024, 04:49:56 PM »
Try lightbicycle and wheelsfar.

This, and nextie.

toxin

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2024, 05:26:31 PM »
I think manufacturers need to start looking at external and internal rim width independent from each other. The super wide Rovals are the only rims that really seem to do that.

Agree completely, I try to preach this, but seem to be mostly ignored on forums. For some reason people are obsessed with internal width, as if you can't run bigger tyres on narrower internal rims.

It's a big boon in all aspects of aero performance, and gives you more freedom in tyre choice. Western companies do seem to be aware of this, though to varying degrees. Obviously roval as you said, hunt went in a very similar direction and the new newmen rims aren't quite on the same level but still a decent bit of difference. I'm really curious for any new swiss side rim designs. Their current ones are ancient.

elmtree

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2024, 09:37:13 PM »
I think farsports does this 58/34 as well.

wolffcon

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2024, 11:31:23 PM »
Those look great, but I can’t find any info on them on the farsports or wheels far website. Do you know how I can find out more/order?

jg87

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2024, 02:58:40 AM »
I think lightbicycle WG44 are the closest they are 40mm wide en 30mm internal

toxin

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2024, 05:44:02 AM »
Those look great, but I can’t find any info on them on the farsports or wheels far website. Do you know how I can find out more/order?
wiht the enshittification of the wheelsfar site you can only find them on the OEM page in the gravel section

elmtree

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2024, 12:26:14 PM »

I contacted them through Whatsapp and they gave me a big list with this included.

mtm

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2024, 04:19:41 AM »
I contacted them through Whatsapp and they gave me a big list with this included.

I mailed them about the 58x28/34 rims a few months ago and they said they didn't have them and would remove them from the web site. They still seem to be there last I checked, though. I would be interested if they do actually have them.