Author Topic: Structural carbon skinning question - nerd alert  (Read 182 times)

Serge_K

Structural carbon skinning question - nerd alert
« on: October 13, 2024, 05:10:56 AM »
Any composites nerds on here?
If i were to 3d print aero bars, with a center channel to put a carbon or steel rod for easy rigidity, and then skinned the plastic bars with carbon, how many layers (let's say by default i'd use the 200g/m2 version that seems ubiquitous) would i need to add to have something really strong? I've 3d printed stuff for the bike before, and it was fine, until it just disintegrated in a split second w/o warning, and i'd rather not crash.
Also, if i want to go disco disco and use different weaves (some look really sexy), how would that affect the strength / # layers i'd need?

The price of commerical aero extensions is just insulting to common sense, and i know 1st hand how much more comfortable it is to rest on forearms rather than just elbows, so i'm thinking of ordering a bunch of materials to play around this winter. I have a 3d printer so the prototyping, shaping and what not will just cost me a few rolls of plastic. Foam's foam.

Fast on the flat. And nowhere else.

Wet Noodle

Re: Structural carbon skinning question - nerd alert
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2024, 10:32:32 AM »
No composites nerd here (technically an engineer, though ... but who isn't).
  • Whatever you would create based on your description might weigh a ton.
  • I don't really see the point in internal reinforcement, as in: putting small-dia "rebar" in it. That works with concrete as  it can take a huge compressive load. The printed plastic can't (or at least not the kind in handlebars with you putting half of you body weight on it).
  • Moreover, the printed plastic (with common hobbyist-grade stuff, it doesn't even matter which material) will basically not be able to take any considerable load whatsoever. Meaning it's just a (heavy) single-use positive mould (or a lost core or whatever you wanna call it). There are materials for that very use-case that can be flushed out afterwards, if you want to go that route.
  • Compaction (you really wanna think about compaction) with tube-like structures in one-offs can usually be done with shrink tube or, better yet, shrink tape.
  • I assume, you know the easy-composites yt channel? There already is established good practice with fibre composites, no need to reinvent the wheel (with nothing to be gained).
  • Whatever of-the-shelf aero bars cost, be prepared to pay MORE for going diy (unless you already have a workshop well-equipped for composites work).

And we have not even touched on the question of layup ...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2024, 10:35:43 AM by Wet Noodle »