Author Topic: Airwolf YFM-026 - 1 month in  (Read 8896 times)

Boybiskit

Re: Airwolf YFM-026 - 1 month in
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2021, 10:26:38 PM »
Heads up to anyone looking at this frame that Airwolf have changed their free shipping policy to include more countries. This frame also discounted here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001271470282.html

jungian

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2021, 02:55:12 PM »
Currently building one of these up and have run into a strange issue where the rear axle wont align and fit through the frame into the hub. I've  started lightly using a Dremel to remove some of the excess paint from the rear dropouts and wondering if I should keep going? Anyone else had/heard of this issue?

Update: after using a bit more of the Dremel it fit. Guessing the excess paint was the issue.

Side note: The rear axle cap was either stripped or doesn't fit a normal metric or imperial hex wrench. Was able to get the axle out using pliers to hold the cap.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 05:08:05 PM by jungian »

nicklej

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2021, 06:12:26 AM »
Unfortunately, i am still waiting to hear back from Airwolf. They have been fairly responsive on Aliexpress and they basically asked me to send my email to another addressee. But i have note heard back from them yet.

I have taken the bike apart since the RHS chainstay snapped randomly right where the internal cable guide for the reach mech cable runs.
No my wheels have been damaged and probably the derailleur. Haven't bothered inspecting stuff yet!

Boybiskit

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2021, 12:04:16 PM »
Unfortunately, i am still waiting to hear back from Airwolf. They have been fairly responsive on Aliexpress and they basically asked me to send my email to another addressee. But i have note heard back from them yet.

I have taken the bike apart since the RHS chainstay snapped randomly right where the internal cable guide for the reach mech cable runs.
No my wheels have been damaged and probably the derailleur. Haven't bothered inspecting stuff yet!

:o a crack at the top / seat tube junction and now a snapped chainstay! I really hope your issues are an anomaly and are addressed quickly. I washed and checked mine over the weekend and so far its fine, but interested to hear how your chainstay snapped and how your warranty claim goes with Airwolf.

Boybiskit

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2021, 06:12:35 PM »
Currently building one of these up and have run into a strange issue where the rear axle wont align and fit through the frame into the hub. I've  started lightly using a Dremel to remove some of the excess paint from the rear dropouts and wondering if I should keep going? Anyone else had/heard of this issue?

Update: after using a bit more of the Dremel it fit. Guessing the excess paint was the issue.

Side note: The rear axle cap was either stripped or doesn't fit a normal metric or imperial hex wrench. Was able to get the axle out using pliers to hold the cap.

Just noticed your edit about the axle cap. I thought the same about mine. It's a 2.5mm hex / Allen but I agree the sizing may be a bit sketchy. Of my two 2.5mm wrenches, 1 fits and 1 is loose. I have exactly the same issue with the 2mm grub screws on Fox products, so maybe it's my wrenches that are the issue!

TokyoTO

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2021, 10:06:07 AM »
Nice bikes ! I love the design of this frame.
None of you had the problem of interference with the fork hitting the down tube when you turn ?
My Rockshox SID (boost) hits the downtube on my size S Airwolf.
Anyone have any solutions here?

SVChucko

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2021, 01:35:41 PM »
The usual solution is a crown race spacer. Search this site and you'll see a few different ones mentioned.

TokyoTO

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2021, 03:39:14 PM »
Update on fork hitting frame (above post):
Purchased a Reverse Components (Angle Spacer 1.5" - 0.5 degrees for tapered fork) and now fork clears frame

ftajiri

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2021, 10:43:22 AM »
My Rockshox SID (boost) hits the downtube on my size S Airwolf.
Anyone have any solutions here?

solution? buy a rs1 fork

Boybiskit

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2021, 12:55:48 PM »
Quick update on this. I have been really enjoying this frame through the fall and early winter. Currently considering 2 changes.

First - a longer dropper. The 100mm Giant Contact I currently have just doesn't go low enough and I have room in the frame to go to 150 or even 170mm.

Secondly, I am going to try a better and longer fork. The 2018 RockShox Sid RL (100mm travel, 51mm offset, Solo Air, spring Charger 2 damper) is way out of its depth on a lot of trails. I made the change from a similar fork to a 120mm 44mm offset Fox 34 on my last XC bike and it transformed it. Interested to hear if anyone is running a 120mm fork on their YFM026. I can borrow a fork from a friend to try it out, so will report back here.

was8v

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2022, 03:16:41 PM »
Looks like the geometry was designed around a 100/120 fork so you should be good to go.

nicklej

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2022, 03:16:50 AM »
:o a crack at the top / seat tube junction and now a snapped chainstay! I really hope your issues are an anomaly and are addressed quickly. I washed and checked mine over the weekend and so far its fine, but interested to hear how your chainstay snapped and how your warranty claim goes with Airwolf.

Took a long while to hear back to be honest and i gave up. I emailed the seller on Aliexpress who are Airwofl directly. Then i had to email someone from Yaoflying. I didn't hear back for 5 weeks and kept messaging the seller intermittently to let them know I hadn't heard back. I did eventually get a reply from Beatrice at Yaoflying which was on the 20th December (so about 2.5 months later-ish).

They asked I send the frame back for inpection. As often with these items, the return shipping, and namely hassle, outweighs the warranty benefit. So i just scrapped the frame.

I am waiting for my Koga World-traveller to finish being built and this was a project to have fun with in the meantime for a few months. I'll probably move the components over another time with an ICAN frame or similar.

amers

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2022, 09:50:14 AM »
can confirm that there are no user support at all from official Airwolf shop on Aliexpress

if you have problems and can open dispute - do it immidiately

Boybiskit

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2022, 10:49:02 PM »
Quick update on this. I have been really enjoying this frame through the fall and early winter. Currently considering 2 changes.

First - a longer dropper. The 100mm Giant Contact I currently have just doesn't go low enough and I have room in the frame to go to 150 or even 170mm.

Secondly, I am going to try a better and longer fork. The 2018 RockShox Sid RL (100mm travel, 51mm offset, Solo Air, spring Charger 2 damper) is way out of its depth on a lot of trails. I made the change from a similar fork to a 120mm 44mm offset Fox 34 on my last XC bike and it transformed it. Interested to hear if anyone is running a 120mm fork on their YFM026. I can borrow a fork from a friend to try it out, so will report back here.

A small update on this post...
I can confirm that my X-Fusion Manic 150mm dropper does fit in the frame. I have about 50mm of post not inserted and it won't go much lower.

I am currently running a borrowed Fox 34 Performance Elite set to 120mm. This has slackened everything and reduced reach a little.

These 2 changes have transformed the bike. My nether regions like the dropper. The fork is more capable and stiffer. The slacker bike feels much more stable without affecting climbing too much (I was 30 seconds of my PR on a 30 minute climb). The only downside appears to me I am now thinking about 4 piston brakes and bigger tires, which defeat the point of a bike that started as a lightweight XC bike!

I had my first proper crash on the bike last night - enough of an impact to knock the stem around 90 degrees on fork and to send my lights flying into the bushes. The frame has not snapped or cracked. The "cheap and nasty" Airwolf carbon bar/stem combo seem fine.