Author Topic: Disconnecting hydraulic hoses  (Read 720 times)

Serge_K

Disconnecting hydraulic hoses
« on: May 14, 2024, 02:45:15 AM »
Hello! Question, given i started using hydraulic brakes only this year.
On 1 bike, i have to invert left and right brakes.
On another, i plan to travel with the bike, so i assume i'll have to disconnect the brake hoses (ltwoo er9)

Question: do you automatically have to use a new barbs & olive every time you disconnect the hose from the shifter? Which presumably also means you have to shorten the hose every time you do that? Or you leave the barb but put a new olive? Or can you re-use the olive?
Also, i dont think i have such spares for ltwoo, what's a good source for these bits?
How do you seal the open end of the hose for travel without it leaking oil everywhere?
Is the barb + olive thing applies on both ends of hoses? I haven't tried to disconnect the hose from the brake calipers.
I do have a bleed kit with the right fittings.
Thanks!

kbernstein

Re: Disconnecting hydraulic hoses
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2024, 03:35:48 AM »
You MAY be able to reuse barbs and olive if you can get it out and if you haven't tightened the olive too much but it's heavily recommended to cut and put new barb/olive as you likely lose some seal. This is why you are often advised to leave as much hose as possible in the bike. If crimped properly the olive shouldn't come off anyway
You can pick up a pack of olive/barb/hose kits for 4 bucks on ali, or for 30 at your LBS who will urge you not to get them from aliexpress as they might explode. The olives are universal afaik but the barbs and hoses are not, i think the standard Ltwoo uses is BH59, same as shimano road
You seal the open hoses with a toothpick
And yes both ends of the hose have a barb and an olive

Serge_K

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2024, 02:08:13 PM »
Clear, thank you!

jonathanf2

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2024, 06:49:53 PM »
I'm curious with the hydraulic hoses on fully internal frames. On semi-internal frames you can just detach the stem/bar from the bike and pack the bar sideways next to the frame in a box.

On fully internal frames, is this not an option for travel? Do you have to detach the hoses for travel? Sounds like a big hassle if that's the case.

Serge_K

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2024, 01:37:36 AM »
I'm curious with the hydraulic hoses on fully internal frames. On semi-internal frames you can just detach the stem/bar from the bike and pack the bar sideways next to the frame in a box.

On fully internal frames, is this not an option for travel? Do you have to detach the hoses for travel? Sounds like a big hassle if that's the case.

That's maybe the biggest drawback of fully integrated bikes: you can't travel with them w/o major headache. There are rigid bike boxes where you dont have to detach the bars, precisely because of that (VERY expensive and take a ton of space when not in use).
It is changing a bit in that you have an increasing number of options that are fully integrated AND allow to detach the stem w/o unplugging everything, but it will take years to trickle down. There's a question of stiffness too: my integrated cockpit is super stiff. If tomorrow they start selling a version with more convenient cable integration, it may be a pool noodle.

Sebastian

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2024, 01:52:43 AM »
has anyone ever tried these quick connectors for hydro lines? I've been eyeing these when building my bike up but ended up not using them.
But they could be a good solution. My bike has the hydro lines showing under the stem. You could put the quick connectors there and just detach the bars.

Ludo

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2024, 12:52:25 PM »
I saw them on gmbn video or another YouTuber last week, looks interesting

coffeebreak

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2024, 10:15:19 PM »

Traveled abroad at the start of May. Plan was to bring VB GF002 with me. Got Trek box for XL sized Madone and started dismantling the bike. I was thinking that the frame, fork, handlebar all tied together because of internal hoses will somehow fit in the box. After numerous permutations and combinations and 3 hours later I decided to call it quits. In the end I brought along rim brake SSE. The handlebar was kept in the rear triangle. Everything beautifully wrapped in foam. The GF002 is still lying in my home completely disassembled. Only a dedicated hard case will fit the carcass of full ICR bike without disconnecting hoses etc. Major pain.

jonathanf2

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2024, 12:31:25 PM »
Traveled abroad at the start of May. Plan was to bring VB GF002 with me. Got Trek box for XL sized Madone and started dismantling the bike. I was thinking that the frame, fork, handlebar all tied together because of internal hoses will somehow fit in the box. After numerous permutations and combinations and 3 hours later I decided to call it quits. In the end I brought along rim brake SSE. The handlebar was kept in the rear triangle. Everything beautifully wrapped in foam. The GF002 is still lying in my home completely disassembled. Only a dedicated hard case will fit the carcass of full ICR bike without disconnecting hoses etc. Major pain.

I guess I'll keep my semi-ICR frames for now. I travel by air every so often with my bikes, and I can just dismantle my stem/handle bars and everything fits in the box. No need to disconnect hydraulic hoses either. If the bike is electronic, there are only 2 external hoses. So it's still quite minimalistic, but far easier to travel with.

Serge_K

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2024, 03:51:54 AM »
I guess I'll keep my semi-ICR frames for now. I travel by air every so often with my bikes, and I can just dismantle my stem/handle bars and everything fits in the box. No need to disconnect hydraulic hoses either. If the bike is electronic, there are only 2 external hoses. So it's still quite minimalistic, but far easier to travel with.

What setup do you use exactly? I know SP Cycle has a cockpit where the bottom is open, so that should work, for example, but beyond that...
Very interested in setups that allow easy enough plane travel.

jonathanf2

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2024, 09:42:41 AM »
What setup do you use exactly? I know SP Cycle has a cockpit where the bottom is open, so that should work, for example, but beyond that...
Very interested in setups that allow easy enough plane travel.

Anything semi-internal packs easily by removing the stem+handle bar and placing the bar sideways in the box. No need to disconnect any cables or hoses. I always get a used bike box from the LBS. You can either get them free or dirt cheap (like $10 USD or less). In the US, Alaska Airlines waives all fees for bike boxes (non e-bike) of any size and weight. They're my go-to airline for bike travel. The  only packing issue I've faced is with disc wheels. With center lock rotors, I've had to remove them to fit them in the box. Though I recently switched to 6-bolt disc wheels for my gravel bike. Hopefully I can fit them without having to remove the bolts. I also use bubble wrap and wrap every section of the bike and wheel hubs of the bike. You can also use spare bike bibs/jerseys in a bag as padding in the box.

Last bike I transported was an alloy gravel frame I gifted to a family member and total weight with box + a bunch of stuff in the box came out to to just under 15kg or 33 lbs.

mirphak

« Reply #11 on: Today at 01:08:13 AM »

I realized the same thing with my titanium gravel bike. Fully internal sucks big time. Never ever again !!!!!