Author Topic: Wide rims for wheelbuilding  (Read 571 times)

xwalkprdx

Wide rims for wheelbuilding
« on: May 31, 2024, 04:26:44 AM »
I'm looking to build a new set of wheels for my racing bike. My current rimes are 21mm inner and 28 outer. I'm trying to follow the "rule of 105" so that means I need 30mm outer width to match with my 28c tires. I haven't seen any that wide. I've built up two wheelsets from Lightcarbon rims and I'm super happy with them. Any ideas or links are appreciated!

Serge_K

Re: Wide rims for wheelbuilding
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2024, 04:54:30 AM »
in the last few weeks the same question has been asked several times, have look and reply to the previous threads if unclear.

Mtnbykr

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2024, 09:04:32 AM »
in the last few weeks the same question has been asked several times, have look and reply to the previous threads if unclear.

Got a link for those threads?

xwalkprdx

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2024, 01:30:25 PM »
I searched for wide rims and found more Q's than definitive answers. But I did find some good options at Light Bicycle like these: https://www.lightbicycle.com/carbon-road-gravel-cx-disc-bike/rims/700C--24-25mm.

Now I get in the internal debate that buying rims, hubs, spokes, and nipples separately at retail prices is the same or sometimes more than buying a complete wheel. I guess the long term value is buying good hubs and then using them with multiple rims over the years, changing out the bearings as needed.

carbonazza

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2024, 05:49:56 AM »
I searched for wide rims and found more Q's than definitive answers. But I did find some good options at Light Bicycle like these: https://www.lightbicycle.com/carbon-road-gravel-cx-disc-bike/rims/700C--24-25mm.

Now I get in the internal debate that buying rims, hubs, spokes, and nipples separately at retail prices is the same or sometimes more than buying a complete wheel. I guess the long term value is buying good hubs and then using them with multiple rims over the years, changing out the bearings as needed.

Unless the rider has specific preferences, I guide them all towards the Lightbicycle WR40 rims for gravel/road sets. I used to buy just the rims, but I found that, not counting my hours, the price was almost the same as buying a built wheelset. So now, I buy the complete wheelsets. However, building wheels is still a very satisfying skill.

Both the hubs and rims are incredibly durable. I still ride my first Lightbicycle 29er wheelset I got 10 years ago, and the ones I got from Peter are even older.