Author Topic: British professional team glued fake UCI compliance stickers to bikes purchased  (Read 657 times)

patliean1

Anyone know what frame this is? hahaha  ;D

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/racing/exclusive-british-professional-team-glued-fake-uci-compliance-stickers-to-bikes-purchased-from-china

Cliff Notes:

-The team began using unbranded bikes imported from China during the 2022 season after a sponsorship deal with Lapierre collapsed.

-Sources discovered the frames were not UCI legal; they are unbranded and the sticker does not conform to the UCI’s approval specification. A spokesperson for the team told CW that the stickers were applied “in-race”, contravening the UCI’s rules.

acino

This is hilarious.  :D

I will not be even surprised if this becomes more common with the prices of bikes nowdays. Although there seems to be a different cause in this particular case.

Pogacar allegedly got 8k euro for winning the UCI WC, less than a cost of a pro bike. I understand he is not buying his own bikes, but it illustrates how messed up this sport is

INSVNX

There's not that much info about LCR0X on the forum so maybe we could ask these guys how good the frames actually are? They've been riding them for a bit, right? I bet their bike mechanics measured the BB LoL

That's too funny

https://www.lightcarbon.com/new-integrated-road-disc-brake-frame_p136.html

jonathanf2

They should have used these stickers. They look way more legit! Especially the one that says 100% not approved;D

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804264766364.html

patliean1

I suspected they were from Light Carbon.

Considering my Yishun/LC R086-D frame is stellar, it makes sense.

Macedingle

I suspected they were from Light Carbon.

Considering my Yishun/LC R086-D frame is stellar, it makes sense.

I believe cycling news has confirmed it is LightCarbon LCR0X-D

neobiker

Where did you read this?

pavlo.k

Overall shape of the frame looks to be the same but the derailleur hanger is different. Could it be same mold from a different supplier?

patliean1

I'm gonna wait for @SergeK to chime in hahaha

My take is: This should end any doubt whether or not a "Chinese" frame could withstand the use of professional cyclists. Assuming it is in fact LightCarbon. Shout out to them for offering a quality product.

amacal1

My take is: This should end any doubt whether or not a "Chinese" frame could withstand the use of professional cyclists. Assuming it is in fact LightCarbon. Shout out to them for offering a quality product.

Alternatively, I would expect mainstream manufacturers to be shitting bricks from this debacle and probably in backroom talks to make sure there are some serious repercussions for this stunt, officially or unofficially. The very idea that people might find out a a chiner frame is every bit as competitive and useful as a mainstream frame has got to scare them.

Macedingle

Apparently LightCarbon instructed them to apply the UCI sticker “ Saint Piran acted on the advice of the manufacturer and an external expert and understood they were in line with UCI regulations at all times. It appears that advice was incorrect. We have now reported this to the UCI and British Cycling and will abide by their ruling."

00Garza

Don't think the article specified if the frames actually complied with UCI regs or not. Just that they weren't formally approved. Or did I miss something?

Macedingle

Don't think the article specified if the frames actually complied with UCI regs or not. Just that they weren't formally approved. Or did I miss something?

Im sure they would pass UCI regulation, but they have not been submitted for testing which results in the breach. Its kind of like OnePlus (Cell phone company) not submitting their phone for an IP67 certification years ago. Because they know it would pass the test, but the cost of the test would add cost to the end consumer to get this certification.

Serge_K

I love it. Next, a whole team running "Ass-works" branded frames with mix and match components from all group set manufacturers winning races :D
Maybe they should play the woke card and say that 1. The frame identifies as UCI legal so who's to say this isn't true and 2. The Chinese said it's UCI legal and we don't want to be called racist so we didn't challenge them. 3, bonus one: turns out the team has been going faster on these bikes than on Lapierre.
Flex time: a pro jumped on my bike over the summer and she said it felt better than her Lapierre bike...

There's a good chance they chose to believe the frames were UCI legal btw, because unbranded frames like that scream OEM, so anyone looking at this on site doing their job, even poorly, would be asking questions.
Fast on the flat. And nowhere else.