Author Topic: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts  (Read 372285 times)

joro1

Re: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts
« Reply #840 on: September 29, 2020, 12:55:12 PM »
Hello

Thanks to everyone contributing to this forum. In the process of building a 60-year present for my wife, who needed a better bike after going from 0-3000km in a year. I have learned a lot from you. Frame is obvious, but I also bougth wheels, handlebars and seatpost from Carbonda. Fork and rearshock is DTSwiss ODL. Brakes SRAM LevelT and drivetrain mix of Shimano SLX/XT. Sunrace 11-50 casette. Paintjob local custom.

Big thanks

Johan

« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 12:57:24 PM by joro1 »

carbonazza

« Reply #841 on: September 29, 2020, 04:48:09 PM »
...Paintjob local custom...
Wow! What a present!
Do you have some closer pictures of the paintjob?
It looks very nice.

Jotegr

« Reply #842 on: September 29, 2020, 08:30:19 PM »
I think it speaks volumes to the quality of some of these frames that someone will go through the trouble to both get a custom paint job AND put pretty nice components on them. I too would love to see some close ups/detail shots of that paint job. looks funky!

joro1

« Reply #843 on: September 29, 2020, 11:36:23 PM »
Here is a closer picture of the paint.

joro1

« Reply #844 on: September 29, 2020, 11:52:49 PM »
and a few more

Shako

« Reply #845 on: September 30, 2020, 04:37:17 AM »
Hello, how do you communicate with Carbonda?
Their website does not work today, I wrote a letter to info@carbonda on Sunday and did not receive an answer, but today I tried to write to sales1@carbonda and adam@carbonda by email, both letters returned with an error "554 Reject by content spam"

I really want to buy this frame, but I have difficulties in communication :)

theirishrider

« Reply #846 on: September 30, 2020, 05:59:55 AM »
@joro1 Unreal paint job! hope your wife likes it!

New article on the Synonym https://www.mbr.co.uk/reviews/full-suspension-bikes/ns-synonym-tr-2

Do other notice the following on the Carbonda?

Yes, the balanced riding position slows everything down so you have more time to think, but this just lets you focus more on how ineffective the rear suspension is. Not only does it lack the sensitivity needed to track terrain, the rebound damping is super-slow even when set to the fully open position.

wfl3

« Reply #847 on: September 30, 2020, 06:07:44 AM »
Hello, how do you communicate with Carbonda?
Their website does not work today, I wrote a letter to info@carbonda on Sunday and did not receive an answer, but today I tried to write to sales1@carbonda and adam@carbonda by email, both letters returned with an error "554 Reject by content spam"

I really want to buy this frame, but I have difficulties in communication :)

I've had the best luck using their skype link.  Of course, I have to wait a bit for replies because of the time difference.

helmat

« Reply #848 on: September 30, 2020, 08:31:07 AM »
@joro1 Unreal paint job! hope your wife likes it!

New article on the Synonym https://www.mbr.co.uk/reviews/full-suspension-bikes/ns-synonym-tr-2

Yes, the balanced riding position slows everything down so you have more time to think, but this just lets you focus more on how ineffective the rear suspension is. Not only does it lack the sensitivity needed to track terrain, the rebound damping is super-slow even when set to the fully open position.

That's something I'd be interested in as well!
There has been another review on bikeperfect.com and they say the frame is quite flexy and not very stiff, is that the superlight version or are they using the normal version for the TR model?

Planning to get a new bike for next year and this one made it onto my shortlist. I've come to the conclusion that the size XL would be the right choice for me (asked NS what they would suggest for 187cm and 89cm inseam and that's what they told me).
One of the remaining questions for me is rear travel, how much travel does this bike really have with a 42.5mm stroke shock? Carbonda say it's 100mm with a 40mm shock, NS get 120 out of 42.5mm stroke length, is it all down to the different rear triangle? Is the FM936 somewhere in between?

Thanks for your help!

wfl3

« Reply #849 on: September 30, 2020, 09:24:58 AM »

The FM936 isn't flexy IMO.  It's a 4lb XC frame so it's also not super stiff either.  It's on par with my Turner Czar as far as flex is concerned - front and rear.

I'm running a Fox 165x40 for 100mm travel and the suspension action is definitely XC oriented as well.  It is not "plush" at all, but it does take the edge off of the bumps and feels quite efficient even in the fully open mode on the shock (which is where I run mine full time).  To be fair I could probably do a better job of tuning the rear feel.

As info:  I'm probably close to 170lbs geared up and on a medium in the superlight layup.

adroitrider

« Reply #850 on: September 30, 2020, 09:33:06 AM »
Damn it will be nice to have better shifting. The hanger was way out of whack!

wfl3

« Reply #851 on: September 30, 2020, 09:36:52 AM »

I just walked back in from checking my hanger after banging the der on the last ride.  ;-)

That cyclospirit looks exactly like the park hanger tool.

Denis

« Reply #852 on: September 30, 2020, 11:00:13 AM »

No. Using Fox DPS SV 42.5 shock with 150-160 psi, rebound 5-6 clicks from open, nice sensitive suspension. Remember it's only about 100mm suspension, not 160mm  :)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 04:19:56 PM by Denis »

plumser

« Reply #853 on: October 01, 2020, 02:58:28 AM »
I also received my frame this week with a stunning (IMO) paint job. Minor paint scratch at the chain stay unfortunately but I'll live with it.
I will be building it with a RS SID Select RL 120mm fork and RS Deluxe Ultimate RCT 165x40 shock.
Carbon wheels from Speedsafe and mix of XT/SLX components. Should hopefully be able to hit ~11kg if my calculations are correct.

carbonazza

« Reply #854 on: October 01, 2020, 03:05:55 AM »
... with a stunning (IMO) paint job...

Nice! Is it candy red?