Author Topic: Chinese Santa Cruz/AM831  (Read 97496 times)

ChinerCaroliner

Re: Chinese Santa Cruz
« Reply #90 on: January 18, 2020, 05:41:16 PM »
Im very interested. If anyone could work up a bundled price then I would jump in too.
Im just concerned about the mixed up geo too. I need a 19 frame but everything else is consistent with santa cruz xl

Bos

« Reply #91 on: January 19, 2020, 12:51:11 AM »
Some Hightower reviews i read mention how Santa Cruz tuned the shock for the new low link VPP. How do you think the performance of this bike will be affected by the lack of specialized tune? Will it feel really different than an actual Hightower?

Many, many bikes get a custom tune over the m/m baseline you'll usually get aftermarket. You end up with a couple options here.

1. Assume its exactly the same as the hightower and order a shock with a tune for a hightower right away (expensive and you have to buy a new shock)
2. Get whatever shock used/aftermarket and then play around with the options available to you until it's "good enough"
3. do #2 but get a custom tune done after you spend some time on the bike.

If you browse the SC hightower thread on MTBR many of them aren't happy with the stock tune anyway.

I agree.
I'd go option 3.
Custom tuning sounds so hocus pockus but in reality it's quite basic and as you say, most would have it done anyway.

Shocks are quite tunable these days, so you'll get there. Try start with a M/M and work your way from there.  The Hightower  might need a soft compression tune with volume spacers to get the sag right. Or a coil like you said.

I ordered a Ican P9 last week. But if this turns out good I will sell it and get this.

scourge

« Reply #92 on: January 20, 2020, 11:53:27 PM »
I have to get a new shock as my old one isnt the correct size.
Used is possible, bit I was thinking of getting a new Manitou Mcleod. I've heard great things about that shock any reason to avoid it?

Jotegr

« Reply #93 on: January 22, 2020, 11:54:08 AM »
I'm curious if this frame will produce 140mm out back with the stated 210x55 or if it's a direct hightower ripoff (which it looks like) and in fact produces 140mm at 210x52.5? My first chinese bike was stated at 100mm but had closer to 115 out back with the shock size they told me to use.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 07:07:11 PM by Jotegr »

scourge

« Reply #94 on: January 22, 2020, 05:52:23 PM »
I'm hoping it's a straight Hightower clone.

ChinerCaroliner

« Reply #95 on: January 22, 2020, 09:47:57 PM »
Eddy emailed me and told me mid Feb the frames would be ready and he would send me an updated size chart when they’re made.

scourge

« Reply #96 on: January 23, 2020, 04:33:32 AM »
Are there any tariffs or duties when having a frame shipped from China?

RDY

« Reply #97 on: January 23, 2020, 05:31:40 PM »
You haven't specified where you are located...

scourge

« Reply #98 on: January 23, 2020, 05:50:10 PM »
Oops. United States. Missouri.

scourge

« Reply #99 on: February 02, 2020, 12:07:51 AM »
Im very interested. If anyone could work up a bundled price then I would jump in too.
Im just concerned about the mixed up geo too. I need a 19 frame but everything else is consistent with santa cruz xl

I'd be in on a bundle price also. How would this work though?

GuitsBoy

« Reply #100 on: February 02, 2020, 07:03:19 AM »
Count me in as another if someone were willing to set up he group purchase...

Jotegr

« Reply #101 on: February 02, 2020, 10:59:39 AM »
Same, but no paint for me :P

Edit: I've been out of the chiner game for a while, do these bulk buys at the initial offering usually work out at a discount? If they could confirm the dimensions (which I'm slightly skeptical of) I'd pretty much be OK to pre-order. Maybe something like if we all place our order within a certain timeframe, we can get a certain % off? I don't know.  Either way we should probably not expect much until the new year celebrations are over.

PS - I vote we dub this bike "The Watchtower"

Double Edit: I wonder how close this will mirror the high tower. Will we be able to swap in SC upper and lower links to save weight and add the geometry adjust? Time will tell!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 07:30:12 PM by Jotegr »

bruto

« Reply #102 on: February 02, 2020, 10:49:09 PM »
What possible reason could they have for copying an SC frame to a millimeter?
That would require getting their hands on one and taking it apart for measurements instead of just getting geometry somewhere in the ballpark of the current trend

if you want flip chips, make your own link :)
or pay Haideli to make one for you (although they likely order the forged/machined parts from another company)

Jotegr

« Reply #103 on: February 02, 2020, 11:59:57 PM »
I don't want flip chips particularly, I'm just curious to see how close they are. The SC links look more refined than the prototype one of these we've seen so far (obviously).  If I end up getting one I'll measure it up and find out some time.

I've heard high end SC bikes are made in china now. I'm not assuming they got their hands on an exact SC and took it apart...but the mold measurements? Maybe.

scourge

« Reply #104 on: February 05, 2020, 01:47:56 PM »
On page  3 of this thread, Flo7 said Mira bike told him it would be 469usd for a 10 piece order. That's a fantastic price. Would love to get in on that.

But how does the order work? Anyone ever do a group order here? I'm guessing only one of us actually places the order of course. The rest of us send that guy the money? How do we determine who can be trusted to not rip us off?

And how does the shipping work? Does he receive all the frames then ship them all out to everyone in on the order? What will happen if warranty issues come up?

And does anyone know if there are tarriffs or duty on frames sent to the US?