Author Topic: TanTan TT-X21 frame  (Read 25427 times)

carbonazza

Re: TanTan TT-X21 frame
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2021, 11:30:52 PM »
I have a dilemma. I got a Ztrace press fit Bottom Bracket with the groupset, I ordered a ZTTO BB86 threaded press fit bottom bracket, but ordered the 24mm instead of the 30mm. I am waiting on the replacement. Do I build the bike with what I have or wait for the better Bottom Bracket? I am concerned about removing the pressfit bottom bracket.
Changing a BB is normal maintenance. PF or threaded.
If you have a press tool with the right elements to remove it, the best.
Or gently tapping it out with an 8 or 10mm Allen key and a mallet.

Zrider

« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2021, 11:49:30 PM »
The frame finally arrived. It was well packed and the quality looks excellent. The lower fork bearing fits.
I ordered an extra derailleur hanger and handle bar spacers, but these were not included.

I have a dilemma. I got a Ztrace press fit Bottom Bracket with the groupset, I ordered a ZTTO BB86 threaded press fit bottom bracket, but ordered the 24mm instead of the 30mm. I am waiting on the replacement. Do I build the bike with what I have or wait for the better Bottom Bracket? I am concerned about removing the pressfit bottom bracket.

The frame is 1160grams.

I think I have the same groupset from Zrace store.  My cranks were 29mm spindle, were yours 30mm?

BrianO

« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2021, 04:45:27 AM »
Around the 9th February.
I didn’t want to slam the hanblebars.
The other issue is do I wait for the spacers.
I’m looking for a light and quick touring bike, which needs to be comfortable.

FHS

« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2021, 09:19:21 AM »
As Carbonazza says, changing out a pressfit BB shouldn't be an issue at all with the right tools. I don't know how trivial it is without the specialty tools but it's doable. I have the Wheels MFG version of the threaded press fit and it's absolutely the...best...thing...ever.

Your spacer and handlebar issue though...

Once you cut your steerer tube down to size, that's it, there's no going back. The TanTan handlebars came with around 4 cms of spacers and I use all of them. My steerer is cut 3 mm below the top of the stem and I still have to use another generic round 2mm spacer I picked up from my LBS on top of the stem, just underneath the top cap, to get the head tight enough. Maybe if you can figure out a way to stack 2 cms+ of generic spacers above your stem until your set arrives, you'd be able to cut the steerer to the correct size and get riding. It'd be fugly though, and judging from the generic spacer I use, not a very stable stack on top of your stem.

BrianO

« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2021, 05:22:54 PM »
I think I have the same groupset from Zrace store.  My cranks were 29mm spindle, were yours 30mm?

Yes they are the spindle is 29mm, I think I will just use the Zrace Bottom Bracket.

I just realised that there can be a 29mm (SRAM) and 30mm spindle, so it looks like the ZTTO 30mm will not work.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 05:30:21 PM by BrianO »

Zrider

« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2021, 08:08:30 PM »
I think Token makes a DUB bb86 option that is similar to the ztto 

snaert

« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2021, 04:51:24 AM »
Got my frame last friday. Quality seems to be realy good. The stem clamp system looks great and works perfect for me. I'm wating for the bottom bracket to arrive to finish the build.

BrianO

« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2021, 06:05:58 AM »
Got my frame last friday. Quality seems to be realy good. The stem clamp system looks great and works perfect for me. I'm wating for the bottom bracket to arrive to finish the build.

It looks great. I like the colour scheme. Is that Sensah Empire Pro 2 x 12?
What bottom bracket are you getting?

snaert

« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2021, 07:40:17 AM »
Yes its quite exactely the same setup as you have it  :). Zrace cranks and brakes, sensah empire pro shifters and elite wheels. The zrace bb had a nasty cracking feel when turning, so i ordered a sram dub bb86 bb.

carbonazza

« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2021, 02:38:09 PM »
...The zrace bb had a nasty cracking feel when turning, so i ordered a sram dub bb86 bb.
Hearing cracks when you press a BB is not anormal. It is even a sign of a tight fit.
The BBInfinite ones make a scary noise.
It will be interesting to know if the SRAM cracks less, being in plastic.

BrianO

« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2021, 02:39:19 PM »
Yes its quite exactely the same setup as you have it  :). Zrace cranks and brakes, sensah empire pro shifters and elite wheels. The zrace bb had a nasty cracking feel when turning, so i ordered a sram dub bb86 bb.

Great minds think alike lol
That’s my concern as well! It looks flimsy.

BrianO

« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2021, 01:14:53 PM »
TanTan (Lisa) are sending out the spare derailleur and handlebar spacers via EMS. I might wait for spacers to arrive. China Post are predicting 2 weeks. We are in 5km from home lockdown, so I wont be able to do much cycling until 5th March.

I was wondering which headset bearing is on the top and bottom of the Fork? the wider one or the narrow one?
The internal wiring is very difficult. I am waiting for a better bottom bracket than the Zrace one.
I assume that you get the internal cabling working before inserting the Bottom bracket. The front derailleur is tricky with the wire protruding from the frame. There is a small allen key bolt on this. Do you tighten it?

Here is an early picture.

dpitel

« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2021, 01:50:22 PM »
TanTan (Lisa) are sending out the spare derailleur and handlebar spacers via EMS. I might wait for spacers to arrive. China Post are predicting 2 weeks. We are in 5km from home lockdown, so I wont be able to do much cycling until 5th March.

I was wondering which headset bearing is on the top and bottom of the Fork? the wider one or the narrow one?
The internal wiring is very difficult. I am waiting for a better bottom bracket than the Zrace one.
I assume that you get the internal cabling working before inserting the Bottom bracket. The front derailleur is tricky with the wire protruding from the frame. There is a small allen key bolt on this. Do you tighten it?

Not familiar with this particular frame but what helped me on one of my frames was using a strong magnet to guide the cable(s) to/through the hole. I know Park Tools also sells a internal routing kit that looks like it can be potentially helpful- a shop that I worked a couple of shifts at had one and I can definitely see it being useful depending on the particular situation/application.

carbonazza

« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2021, 11:07:06 PM »
...I assume that you get the internal cabling working before inserting the Bottom bracket. ...
Yes put the BB at the very end.
Maybe send some more detailed pictures of the front dérailleur cable?

Sometimes the front dérailleur end cable has an Allen screw to tighten a metal spring to press it against the frame inside. If it doesn't wobble, it is tightened enough.

Matt_C

« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2021, 04:37:07 AM »

5km from home... you must be Irish!

This guy has done a series of how to build up a bike with similar cable routing to yours.