Author Topic: Advice on new road bike frame! Fully internal cable routing + disc  (Read 4607 times)

Jwzard

Hey guys, found this amazing forum yesterday and I turn to you for your advice.
I want to build my first road bike, I've been fiddling with bikes for many years so I know what I'm doing.

I want a frame with fully internal cable routing (no cables visible at the handlebar), disc brakes, and fairly aero-looking.
I can spend 5-600 USD on a frame.
My concerns with aliexpress frames is mainly safety, I dont mind if the frame starts to wear after a few years but I defenitly dont want it to crack in half, leaving me in a ditch!

I've had my eyes on this frame, anyone who bought it? I dont know if you can trust the reviews on ali because I know many sellers remove low rating reviews.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32812382307.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.4f923c00F7Hbhm&mp=1
Here's a link the seller provided to the different paint options, it's a copy of Pinarello F12
https://yohobike.com/product-category/products/road-bike-frame/pinraello-dogma-f12/page/7/?spm=a2g0s.imconversation.0.0.12333e5fp5Y1EM&product_orderby=price&product_view=grid&product_order=desc

Or if you know any other frame meeting my requirements, please link!

Thanks
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 01:05:26 AM by Jwzard »

Schumo

Re: Advice on new road bike frame! Fully internal cable routing + disc
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 04:25:56 AM »
I'll throw the Dengfu R12 in.

I'm waiting for my painter so I can start building mine.

Costs were:
R12 disc 52cm in UD matt finish: $550/set (include frame, fork, seatpost, HB015 integrated handlebar 420*90mm, spacer and headset)
Front and rear thru axle for R12 disc: $16
2 extra rear hangers for R12 disc: $14 ($7*2)

Shipping cost to Germany including tax prepaid is $130. 4.2% Paypal fee is $30, so the total cost is $740.

Jwzard

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 05:52:34 AM »
Nice! The link says 729 USD, where did you get if for 550 USD? The only review there is doesn't seem promising tho...

Schumo

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 10:55:44 AM »
I contacted Dengfu via the contact form on their website, as I was unsure which frame size I should choose, and they told me that price.

Yeah, I also saw that review and was a bit worried about it, so I talked to 2 guys in a german forum, and they were both super happy with it.

As I said before, my bike is still not finished, but I definitely can't confirm points 2, 4 and 5 of that review. 

carbonazza

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2020, 04:12:29 PM »
As the guy says in the review: "Props to Dengfu if they actually put this review on their website" !

Jwzard

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2020, 01:41:14 AM »
Yes, that is true. Can't find any other reviews tho.

I've looked into Velo Build now as well. Seems to be pretty solid and found some good reviews, 479 USD including handlebar.
http://www.velobuildmall.com/products/2020-vb-r-099-aero-carbon-fiber-road-frame-disc-version-hidden-cables

carbonazza

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2020, 08:56:55 AM »
Just by curiosity, what is velobuild?
They are importing Chinese frames in the US?
Do they take a markup ? And for what service?

Jwzard

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2020, 01:47:29 PM »
"Just by curiosity, what is velobuild?"
A bike component manufacturer.

"They are importing Chinese frames in the US?"
They ship worldwide, I don't think they keep stock in the US.

"Do they take a markup ? And for what service?"
I think they only sell their own frames and wheels. Seems to be about same prices as some other china frames.

Matt_C

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2020, 04:46:08 PM »
I can't recommend the ICAN A9 enough. Check my post history for the build.  It might cost an extra $50 compared to other quality manufacturers but the service I received was amazing and even now months after sale Perry still replies promptly. They have a YouTube videos showing how the frame is made and all the QC checks, that might just be marketing but it is still good to see.

Snacks

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2020, 01:58:33 PM »
I'm still waiting for my frame but I've been researching frames with fully internal cable routing since early Sept. After much trial and tribulation with purchases from a couple different sellers over the past couple months, I purchased the velobuid r-099 you actually posted above about a week ago.  Chris from velobuild has been super helpful and really great to work with.

From all my research I can tell you I'd go with dengfu or velobuild. I've read a majority of positive reviews for both. There are of course a few outlier reviews but it seems that those problems were outside of the warranty period or they did all they could to fix the issues that came up.
Hope that helps!

Jwzard

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2020, 01:46:34 PM »
Thanks for the answers. The ICAN it a bit over my budget at 900 USD excluding shipping, but seems to be a solid frame.

I've been talking to Chris and found out the r-099 only support 140 mm disc rotor at the back. I was planning to use 160 mm. Their new r-168 frame will support 160 back and I think I wait until there's some real life pictures on it before ordering.

Snacks

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2020, 08:22:41 PM »
I was a bit worried when you mentioned that it takes 140mm rotors in the rear because I had purchased mine already. so I decided to ask Chris and he confirmed that 160mm rotors with work with both the frame and fork. Phew

Jwzard

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2020, 10:19:53 AM »
That was really strange, this was the exact words Chris wrote to me "R-099 frame 140mm rotor ,fork fits 160mm rotor"
Get back to me when you got the frame please, very interested :D

Snacks

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2020, 10:40:07 AM »
I agree , strange indeed. I'll definitely update you when it gets here. It should actually be sometime soon now. I attached a screenshot of his response here as well.

Jwzard

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2020, 01:40:02 PM »
I hope you are right.
When I asked the difference between the 099 and new 168 frame he wrote "168 frame can fit 160mm disc rotor ,099 140"
Looking forward to see what you find with your frame.